Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:55 PM   #1

Ok, am i the only person who gets two dud cameras?

The lens on first S5100 I rec'd was rattling as soon as i powered it up the first time. Took pictures no problem, but I could hold the lens w/my fingers and move it around, and the display would jump around with it. Hmmmmm. Ship it back.:sad:

Two weeks (!!! "out of stock"!!!!) later the replacement showed up, on 6/24. I have been very very gentle with this one, just in case. Today, I power it up to fire off some shots and 'rattle rattle rattle', same thing! :evil::evil::evil:ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Has anyone else experienced problems with their S5100? I am inclined to return for something else. I do like the look & feel of the camera, haven't got enough shots fired to judge picture quality yet.

Thanks

Ted

tedshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:50 AM   #2

The camera is not a dud...all of the 5100's have 'lens wobble'. Perfectly normal, doesn't affect performance.

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...0+lens+problem

Enjoy your new camera.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:02 PM   #3

Mine does not wobble.*
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:38 AM   #4

I'm surprised...I've checked 6 or 7 S5100's in stores, and they all have 'wobble', and at least a dozen people in this forum say they have lens wobble...maybe 'wobble' is the wrong word. Can your lens be moved from side to side, or up and down when zoomed out? You got yours after I got mine, but ted just got his(2), so it doesn't seem like it's an issue that Fuji has addressed in later releases.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:30 AM   #5

It is slightly moveable with force like every other lens on evey other digital camera I have owned (about 7 different makes and models). It does not wobble on it's own when the camera is moved in my hand under normal use. If it moves on its own I would send it back. I always use the lens hood with a protective filter on the end as well. This will keep the lens from beeing "bumped" and possibly becoming "loose".

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:47 PM   #6

I've been hearing about this for some time but since I keep the tube and a filter on all the time, I never really cared. If mine had any play, it doesn't affect the pictures. Well, I just had to check mine. It seems that if you shake the camera, there is slight low-tone rattle sound.And if you remove the tube and move the lens, it does have some play in the mechanisum.

As I said, it doesn't seem to affect the pictures. I would assume that a small amount of free-play in the lens is normal.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:08 PM   #7

Mine has a little play as well. Noticed it the first day I got it, but it was not enough that I had any concern. It's performed flawlessly so far. I wouldn't worry about it, as it seems to be the norm for these cameras and unless you think it's affecting the performance of the camera then it should work fine.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:10 PM   #8

I just learn to ignore it. After hearing about all the horror stories of former owners of 2800z's bumping their lenses and the barrel falling off, it can shake all it wants! [As long as it doesn't affect performance].
DanmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 3:23 AM   #9

Bought mine a few months ago, and have never noticed it. Just tried it, and while I can move it a little by hand, it does not rattle going in and out, or very much with me shaking it a little. Even still, I think I'll just continue to treat it gingerly. Probably best for most things involving electronics/precise instruments. Anyway, no problems here, and am very pleased with the S5100.
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote