Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:41 AM   #11

Sorry about your "lemon". I have had 2 Fuji cameras (S5000 and the S5100) and have had nothing but good luck. Where did you buy this camera? I am wondering if people having trouble with their S5100's are getting them from less than reputable buyers? Just a theory. These pictures are very similar to the ones I got from a Minolta Z3 12x zoom I had....I got rid of that thing after 2 weeks and blowing some pictures that took 11 years to assemble! The grain in those pictures was terrible.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:42 AM   #12

Goofas,

Bought it at Sam's Club in Feb. and paid $364, which included the travel kit. After seeing yourwoodpecker picture I'm convinced that its a camera issue. Sent an e-mail to Fuji and am going to Sam's today to see what there policy is on returns. Haven't given up on the S5100 as a camera, just think mine isn't up to par.

Thanks again, Bill
labirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:47 AM   #13

Keep us posted. I hope Sams will be kind and swap it out. Good Luck.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:56 PM   #14

Fuji has discontinued the 5100, it will be the F5200 USA model...there is still stock, but going soon! Other countries...have no idea what will be called. Fuji is listening to your comments...so..hope will be something better?
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:32 PM   #15

Ross wrote:
Quote:
Fuji has discontinued the 5100, it will be the F5200 USA model...there is still stock, but going soon! Other countries...have no idea what will be called. Fuji is listening to your comments...so..hope will be something better?

Where did you hear this? The S5100 was just released in October 2004. I've searched all over the net and couldn't find any references for your statements.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:58 PM   #16

Goofas and all,

Checked with the Sam's Club and they only honor a no questions asked return for a month after purchase so I guess its time for Fuji to step up. I sent an e-mail this morning but guess I might not hear anything until next week because of the holiday.

Hope it helps that I have a Fuji website link on my webpage :lol:.

Anyone have any experience dealing with Fuji repair?

Will keep every one posted and thanks to all, Bill
Old Jul 3, 2005, 5:05 PM   #17

Goofas and all,

Ok, I know I'm getting older, BUT, I'm not crazy (at least I don't think so:lol: ). I don't know what I did other than go into to setup, reset, ok. Here is a picture of a fiery skipper (butterfly about the size of a dime) that I took at 3:00 p.m. today.

EFIX: 4 mega, ISO64, P mode, full 10x zoom, using a monopod. taken from about 6 feet

To me, this is a much better quality picture, again not worried about composition. Could there have been a malfunction in the camera and resetting cleared the problem? I never got an error message on the camera. Don't know for sure what I did but at least I don't have to send it off.

Thanks to all for bearing with me on this problem! Now I can work on my composition.:G
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:15 AM   #18

You guys just don't get it. The original butterfly picture was taken with direct flash. It looks like a dead butterfly laying on the corner of the chair. Compare that with this last one where there is some foliage and something to make the picture interesting. And the first picture. It is really small, so how much of the original picture is there? I suspect not very much of it. Go ahead, send the camera back. Go get something else. But until you do a little practice shooting, you aren't going to be satisfied.and the
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:43 PM   #19

jphess and all,

To my untrained eye the image quality in thesecond butterfly pic is much better than in the first. Maybe I need glasses, but to me there is a difference in quality. I cropped the picture to reduce the file size but have included another here. It was cropped about 25% to reduce file size.

Agreed that the skipper nectaring on the lantana is far more interesting than the other.

Thanks, Bill

BTW, I'm keeping the camera! :-)
Attached Images

Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:35 PM   #20

What? Do you expect every shot you take to be a showstopper? Who knows what went wrong with those first two shots? It could have been the white wall in the one photo, or it could have been the blue background in the other one that POSSIBLY could have thrown the autofocus off. Once in a while things just don't work. We took some pictures of our new granddaughter a couple of weeks ago, and they were not in focus. Don't know why. It could have been that my wife didn't push the shutter release button down halfway to activate the autofocus. But once in a while I get pictures that just don't work. Solution: evaluate, make adjustments, try again, and then start all over.

We were in Alaska a few weeks ago and I was trying to get a close-up of an Eagle. I tried all one evening (he was a very patient Bird) but I just couldn't get what I wanted. So we tried again the next morning and got one that I am reasonably satisfied with, even if it isn't the sharpest image I have ever seen.

My point is, don't be so quick to blame the camera. See what you can do to improve your skills. By the way, I think this last photo you submitted is very good.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote