Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 7, 2003, 8:51 PM   #1

Default Anything I can do?

Seems I bought a 3800 camera kit on eBay that included filters, lenses, etc. because I was looking into getting some decent lenses for my camera anyways. The lenses are 52mm and since the lens adapter ring on the camera changes the size to 55mm, I have to use a second conversion ring to step down from 55mm to 52mm and then put on the lens... Problem is, the pictures now have black corners since the barrel is so long, is there anything I can do to fix this? Or at least get rid of these lenses to get ones in the right size? Thanks.

Edit: Maybe a 55mm-52mm adapter ring would work better than the tube?
BiggieSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 1:03 AM   #2

Buy 55mm filters: don't compromise picture quality for a few $$$.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:58 AM   #3

Default Vinagrette

Yes Biggie, listen to MentorRon. He speaks the truth. That black corners thing is called vignetting. This is prone to happening when you use filters lesser than <55mm. If you use larger filters and a step up ring, vignetting is not as likely to happen.

Vignetting will also occur when you use a teleconverter at it's widest and a wide angle converter at full zoom, but then again that's not what their designed for. Back to the filters, yes, use 55mm. And don't skimp on quality. Get a decent multicoated type like Hoya's. If you can't shell out the extra bucks just yet, save up your lunch money like me and when you can afford it, get the good stuff. 8)
Alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:48 AM   #4

You will note that the Fuji adapter spreads wider towards the outer edge: that's to prevent vignetting. If vignetting didn't exist, they could have used a straight tube. I used to see it happening a lot in 35mm photography when people would buy a wide angle lens for their SLR and buy a normal lens shade, instead of spending a few extra bucks for a proper wide angle lens shade. Sometimes they wouldn't notice it in prints, 'cause you usually lose a bit of picture around the edges in the enlarger, but they would then go on a holiday and take slides. They would come home and find all of their wide angle pictures hard dark corners, which spoiled the pictures somewhat as it's distracting.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 4:44 PM   #5

Spot on MentorRon!! The Fuji adaptor I have for their WCON lense is 52mm ID at the cam and 54mm at the lens adaptor and 39mm long.

However, a 55mm straight tube of similar length, should be OK shouldn't it?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:34 PM   #6

A 55mm straight tube would work in place of the Fuji Adapter, but the problem would then be attaching it to the camera body. You would need a step-up adapter at the camera end, and I don't know if the Fuji thread is the industry standard used for filters. If, as you say, the diameter of the filter end of the Fuji Adapter is 54mm, this again is not a standard size. 52mm and 55mm are standard sizes.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 5:54 AM   #7

MentorRon....I went through this when I wanted to fit a hood to their wide lens and found nothing would adapt. All the dust covers are push fit, so something must be able to work.

I don't know why Fuji do this. If they sold a range of their own(expensive) accessories, I could see their point - but they don't.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:15 PM   #8

Many decades ago the industry used to sell aluminum snap-on filter holders for cameras without lens threads. I guess it wasn't profitable enough as later more 35mms came with threads (although that trend reversed itself with the point-n-shoots). With the plastic lens housings that dominate the non-professional market today, it probably wouldn't be practical. Also many lenses retract into the body when powered off, so the holders might also cause damage to the lens or motor if the lens retracted while the holder was in place.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 3:01 PM   #9

MentorRon, That's generally true about the lens retraction, but when you've got that big Fuji WCON lens on it's tube, there's no way that's going to retract! And I still want to put a hood on mine!
Old Jan 19, 2003, 3:47 PM   #10

Ok, then let me recapitulate what I said and what I'm not clear on.
If you have the accessory wide angle lens attached to the adapter and want a lens hood for it that isn't manufactured specifically for it,
you have to make one or have it made for you. It could NOT be a straight tube of the outside diameter of the wide angle attachment's exit pupil. It would have to be significantly wider than that so as not to vignette. How much wider can be calculated, but my math isn't that good. It would relate to the angle of view that the combined original lens plus the add-on lens produced. If it was a straight tube, as proposed, it would probably need to be MUCH wider, as a short tube would not shield the lens sufficiently (except from damage). I would suggest that the minimum length should be at least half the width. Experimentation with different widths and lengths are the only alternatives to the correct mathematical formula. At least you could make them out of cardboard until you had the size that worked, then have it made or find one in metal or plastic. I have worked with extreme wide angle lenses on 35mm cameras, down to 18mm. These had built-in lens hoods that were useless, as they could not be made long enough to be practical.