Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 3, 2005, 1:52 AM   #1

im using the S5100, and when i zoom up in the 4 megapixel , so many of my pics come out blurry. Im trying to hold it as steady as i can. What settings would be good for full zoom?
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:43 AM   #2

I have no problem just staying on auto. If no tripod is used then I hold camera similar to what manual shows except I drop both elbows down to flank area and securly rest them there and bring head &neck down to compensate. Then like shooting a gun I lightly hyperventilate a couple times, breath outhalfway then hold breath and shoot.
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:36 AM   #3

I'm a noob too so this may not be the best advice, but from the playing around I've done I've managed to get good crisp shots if I can set the ISO that lets me get at least a 1/140 shutter speed. If it's daylight outside most times the 64 or 100 setting lets me get this, and I'll bump it to 200 if it's in a shady spot or overcast. I try and stay away from ISO 400 except for very low light. A steady hand can affect the shutter speed you need. I snapped the pic of this little guy this morning from about 12 feet away at almost full zoom.

S:1/140, F:3.1, ISO 200, Aperature Priority mode

Attached Images

gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4

hey thanks, i noticed some people were using different iso settings when they zoom the camera so was wondering if that helped. I had someone tell me to put the camera in sports mode while zooming and that helps, so i may try that also
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5

cool isnt that a chipmunk? Havent seen one of those in a lot of years. Ill try different settings and see what works best thanks a lot. Now i took this pic and i was almost 3/4 of a mile away from the lake sitting on the road on top of a hill. The first pic i took i didnt zoom at al and the lake was so far off you could barely see it i was amazed at how close it was after zooming it. It was a hazy day thats why you see all that haze. But it didnt turn out to bad would have been better if the haze wasnt there lol
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:37 PM   #6

Sports mode (and any of the fixed use modes) sets the ISO to 100. It also weights toward shutter priority.For just shoot-arounds, you might be better off setting the ISO on auto and shooting in auto mode or SP. Auto ISO will go from 64 to 320.

As Bucksnortinfers, you need to develope a holding method or use a tripod. Use what's around you--Tree, fence post, wall, your knees if sitting,etc. If you use Shutter Priority above 100, you should get most of the "shake" out. Remember to half-button then squeeeeeeeeeeze.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 10:38 PM   #7

Dude, I totally love the haze. Gives it a great effect, NICE SHOT!:|
DGCT00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 12:00 AM   #8

AS I SAID!,,, and I quote from a previous thread!

" I just tried my S5100 in sports mode, and was disappointed bysome blurry pics, outdoors, & especially indoors, both under bright daylight???,,, after checking this out, I found that sports mode defaulted to ISO 100, not auto ISO,,, which I was unaware of,leaving not enoughexposurefor the shot, causing bluriness, especially indoors. My Bad, I'll just stick to Auto mode, and auto ISO. I found it works best there.

Indoors Auto ISO, or200 ISO works much better! especially while zooming"

MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:51 AM   #9

Well, here is one that was shot at full zoom, ISO 400. Now, before you guys grab the butcher knife to cut the image to pieces, I know it isn't the sharpest image. But my other digital camera, which cost twice as much as my 5100, produces so much noise at ISO 400 that I simply cannot use the pictures. The photo has been enhanced considerably using Photoshop. But personally I don't think it is all that bad.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 10:37 PM   #10

hey thanks, when i first took that pic i used no zoom at all and the lake looked so far away, it was about 3/4 of a mile away then i zoomed it in that pic here is the pic of the lake before i zoomed it
Attached Images