Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:06 AM   #1

I purchased an A75 last summer and was pretty happy with it. I'm a casual photographer so it did everything I needed.

This summer, my parents told me they had purchased an E550 on the recommendation of a friend. However, they rarely (if ever) used it. Since the A75 was more idiot-proof, they had no objection to trading cameras.

Unfortunately, the pictures I've taken with the E550 are somewhat disappointing, especially if I don't have time to setup an shot and use the landscape mode. They are noisy and soft.

See here for example: . This was taken 6MP/landscape.

How should I handle picture taking to get the best results? 12MP RAW -> TIFF -> 6MP? Or something else?

Also, if anyone knows where I can post a For Trade thread, I'd be willing to trade for Canon model in the same price range. I'm currently in the Bay Area and will return to Atlanta in August.
qlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:29 AM   #2

The 12MP mode will cause the softness. I always use the 6MP mode on my e550, and I am very happy with the results. Also, don't use auto ISO if possible. use ISO200 or less for the best quality. Mine was sent back to Fuji due to a spot on pics caused by something inside the camera, but I have otherwise been extremely happy with the camera. I almost always use the P-mode an set the EV to -.3 as I think EV 0 is a little over exposed and washes out colors a little.

Also, I tihnk your example was compressed, as the 6MP pictures should be about 1.5MB, not 900kb. Good luck with your new camera.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:26 PM   #3

Carskick wrote:
Quote:
The 12MP mode will cause the softness. I always use the 6MP mode on my e550, and I am very happy with the results. Also, don't use auto ISO if possible. use ISO200 or less for the best quality. Mine was sent back to Fuji due to a spot on pics caused by something inside the camera, but I have otherwise been extremely happy with the camera. I almost always use the P-mode an set the EV to -.3 as I think EV 0 is a little over exposed and washes out colors a little.

Also, I tihnk your example was compressed, as the 6MP pictures should be about 1.5MB, not 900kb. Good luck with your new camera.
I was having an interesting conversation with a friend and he mentioned, in the great Nikon vs Canon debate, that although Nikons give you a better image if you have time to set things up, Canon gives you better images if you need a quick snap or otherwise cannot "frame" the picture.

That said, it makes me think that perhaps sticking with my A75 would've been a better idea?
qlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:58 PM   #4

Judging from the picture you posted, I don't think you have a camera problem so much as you have a problem with the picture itself. This picture was taken at the wrong time of day, no shadows, very little contrast, not enough interest in the foreground, not enough variation of color, etc., etc.. I'm not the best photographer. That's why I don't post very many of my images. But it takes more than a camera to make a truly showstopper image.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote