Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 7, 2005, 7:00 PM   #1

Well, I just bought a bunch of stuff for my S5100, and it came with three filters: UV filter, a PL, and a "skylight" filter, which is light pink and supposedly rids of blueness in the picture and makes it "warmer". I'm kind of wondering how often I should use these filters, and if they're at all necessary. If you guys/gals have em, do you use them a lot? Are they effective? It also says I should just keep the UV lens on anyway, kind of as a lens protector. Tell me what u guys think, I'm leavin for california on Saturday, so I wanna be totally prepared.

Thanks a lot!,
-Duncan
DGCT00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:20 PM   #2

Personally don't believe in using a filter with a digital camera. A UV filter is good to protect your lens. A polarized filter is good for more contrast and darken the sky. Fuji cameras have a "chrome" setting that will duplicate a polarized filter.

I would rather not degrade a good lens ... rather use Photoshop CS for filter corrections.
With film, filters could make all the difference...with digital...good software makes the difference!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:41 AM   #3

When I bought my Fuji 5100 recently, they offered me a filter package similar to yours, and I purchased it. I have used the polarizer filter a few times, and have had a few good results from it. But for the most part I prefer not using a filter. I like to work on my images using Photoshop. And the CS versions have a number of enhancements that are particularly beneficial to photographers. There is a set of photo filters and some additional controls that, in my opinion, provide me with greater control than trying to use filters on the camera. There has been a school of thought around for years that it is wise to use a UV filter, primarily to protect the lens from getting scratched or dirty. The theory is that it is cheaper to replace a filter than it is to replace the lens. I suppose it is simply a matter of personal preference.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:38 PM   #4

I don't know how low your 5100 goes, but my 7000 only goes down to F8, so I use ND filters occasionally to help that short coming out. Star filters also can have their place.

However filers and the adapter tube tend to make the camera bigger than I like it to be, so using a UV filter to protect the lens isn't for me.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:21 PM   #5

Thanks guys! Well, I'm off to California, and I'm gonna try to take some sick shots of the golden gate bridge. Wish me luck!

-Duncan, ACE PHOTOGRAPHER!
DGCT00 is offline   Reply With Quote