Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:42 PM   #1

Iv etaken a lot of macro shots of flowers and plants and im lucky to get one out of ten to come out clear. Not sure what im doing wrong i hold it steady, its like it wont focus if im 16 to 18 inches from the flowers. I have it set on auto focus, is there anything i should try?
sincerecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:29 PM   #2

You're zoomed in too much.

In Wide mode, Macroallows 3.9" to 6.6'.

In Tele mode, Macro allows 3' to 6.6'.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:38 PM   #3

thanks, so your saying i have to be at least 3 ft away? If so then i wouldnt be able to get any close ups will I. This is my first digital camera so trying to learn about it, but having some trouble figuring how to get good close ups of flowers.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

whoops sorry you meant 3.9 inches. Im not using any zoom i just get close to the flower sometimes within 8 or 10 inches and the pics come out blurry. Was wondering if i needed to change some kind of setting for macro shots
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:52 PM   #5

Are you getting the yellow flower in the top left when youpress the macro button?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:57 PM   #6

yes it shows the yellow flower, and i push the button down half way till it auto focuses and when i snap most of the pics look pretty blurry when i bring them up. Im holding the camera pretty steady
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:04 PM   #7

If it's in focus on the EVF or LCD during your focus then your moving the camera during the shot. Is the hand and "!" showing when you half-press? What ISO and settings are showing?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:39 PM   #8

well the hand was showing, i reset the camera then it wasnt showing anymore. Took this pic just now you can see its blurry in the middle but not as bad it it has been
Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:46 PM   #9

now i took about 5 of these pics and that was the clearest one the rest were a little more blurry
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:09 PM   #10

The flower is sharp in the back. Your problem is depth of focus.There's several things to try. Check your focus priority setting and make sure it's NOT on "area".

1. If you're shooting in Auto with Auto ISO,Add more light--Reflecting sunlight with a white sheet of paper works good. The problem with auto is that it tends to leverage Shutter Priority and you need AP.

2. Try usingAperture Prioritysetat steps above f5. The higher the f-stop setting, the more light you will need but the DOF will be greater with each step.

3. Another option is to move away from the flower 3+ feet and use zoom (with Macro).

4. Get a book on Photography. It will teach you ways of changing the various settings on a camera to get the effect you want. There's way too many variations to cover here.