Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 10, 2003, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Exif Launcher affects GL video

I have found that starting Exif Viewer in System Tray with Windows (98SE) causes stuttering with my video card (Nvidia GeForce2 MX) when playing GL games. The display freezes for about one second every 5 seconds. I have removed Exif Viewer from the Startup menu so as to not have both running simultaneously. Instead I placed a shortcut to Exif Launcher on my Desktop, and close the viewer after each use so as not to affect gaming.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 4:30 AM   #2

I'm to old to be a games freak, but when I was playing with some of the graphics tune up progs like 3DMark, Ziff Davis etc, I discovered that for max speed and few hiccups, finding out and removing as much stuff starting up (some is via registry calls so not in startup directory) is of benefit. In fact, Ziff Davis Benchmark test utils includes a nice little prog called 'Start up Manager' to select/deselect startup progs before benchmarking (or running games!)

If you're trying to run .AVI movie files from cams, it's also a good idea to know what's memory resident, and clear out stuff at start up. Putting a shortcut instead, as you mentioned, is memory and cpu speed friendly - but may stop some functions working, called from other progs.

On Win98SE, find and run MSinfo32.exe, under 'software' you'll find all those background progs - including one's you didn't know were there!! Norton Utils system/memory check is similar, but tells you how much real memory each is using.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 2:37 PM   #3

No, I'm aware of all those programs and regularly test my PC with PCMark2002, and several other programs. I use Startup Cop to stop any unwanted processes automatically on bootup. If Exif Launcher is the ONLY other background task, the video stutters on GL games, even kid's ones like Bugs Bunny. If I launch 8 or 9 other programs in the background, but NOT Exif Launcher, the GL games run fine.
If I close all those programs and start Exif, it stutters again. I have found that adding memory is not the be-all and end-all for PC's. You eventually run out of RESOURCES before you run out of memory: I have 224MB SDRAM at present. My PC has been set as Network Server in System Properties to get as many resources available as possible.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:20 PM   #4

So what's the prob with Exif launcher then? Memory leak? why not email the author? I'm using Exifer - that's been OK for me, but then it's not running in the background.

I've found adding memory is great when you're editing those uncompressed TIFFS. You've got 3 or 4 @ 40Mb each open, plus the editors background copies for undo, your spooling output to a printer and your running MS Windows version 'I'm a memory hungry OS'! and I don't often see my HD drive on, except for saves. I don't get any buffer problems when streaming files to a CD burner, as most of the time data is cached from memory, and I don't get stalling problems streaming big AVI cam files.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:43 PM   #5

If I knew what was happening with the Fuji Exif Launcher, I would fix it. I have downloaded the most recent version from their Website, but same deal. From past experience, I know help desks don't do much to resolve conflicting software issues on PC's. They tend to blame other factors, not their software, or simply ask you to reinstall everything. I can live with it the way it is, but it was nice to have Exif Launcher always present for starting the Viewer when I inserted a card in the reader. It's only one more mouse click this way, so no big deal.