Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:19 PM   #1

I really like this camera and have been starting to play with it more. I take a lot of pictures of my kids diving team. I bumped it up to 400 speed. The kids in the pictures are really sharp (well I guess that isn't the right word) but in focus not blurry. But the quality of the picture is terrible!

I first thought it was the printer so I took them to another store....Then I remembered I changed the setting. Is this common?
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:24 PM   #2

Have not had any problems with mine. Try posting some pics and maybe someone will have an explanation or possible solution.
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:25 PM   #3

I have no clue how to post pictures

Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4

What is the Quality mode set to? Were you using digital zoom? What mode were you using? Indoors or outdoors? This is why a photo and some more info would help.

You might try 4M-Fine and take some sample shots.

To attach a picture:

Below the "Post Reply" box is an "Attachment:" line. Click the "Browse" button and locate the photo (in the pop-up window)on YOUR computer. Click to highlight the file then click "Open". The pop-up window will close and the file name will appear in the blank area to the left of "Browse". After you've entered your text, click "Send" at the bottom right of the reply box.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:42 AM   #5

I had the camera set on 4m-Fine S mode with the continues program. I had the F stop at 1000.

I was shooting outside it was about 85 degrees. The camera did feel warm to me but i shot about 150 pictures in an hour or so.

Here is one picture. Not sure if you can tell what I am talking about in it. I printed the pictures our at 2 different Kodak machines.

So I know it isn't the printer. I first thougth it was.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2005, 7:49 AM   #6

Here is another picture that I took earlier. When printed at the same machines it is very sharp and crisp. I know the natural light is better.
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:10 AM   #7
Administrator

I can't tell much from the downsized images. The originals would be better for judging noise levels (but we don't allow file/image sizes that large to be embedded in posts here, so you'd need to upload them to a web site and post a link to them).

These are not the photos you tried to print, right (since the posted images are low resolution)? I'll assume that you took the originals (full resolution). But, if you took these downsized images to the printer, you're seeing pixelation from resolution being way too low. Your posted images are only 568x426 pixels (approximately 0.24 megapixels).

But, yes, ISO 400 is going to be grainy from most small cameras.

At smaller viewing/print sizes, it may not be that noticeable. But, at larger sizes, it can stick out.

Your first photo was taken at ISO 400. The second photo you posted was using ISO 100.

When you increase the ISO speed, it's amplifying the signal from the CCD. This increases noise levels (and noise is similar to film grain). You see the same thing with high speed films (the higher the ISO speed, the larger the grain). But, a small digital camera is usually worse compared to film (because the small sensors are not able to gather as much light, requiring more amplification of the signal for equivalent ISO sensitivity). Most modern DSLR modelsare usually better than film at higher ISO speeds (a DSLR uses alarger sensor compared to non-DSLR Digital Cameras).

If you must use ISO 400 (and I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely necessary), there are some good tools designed to reduce the apperance of noise. Here are a couple:

Noiseware from Imagenomic (this is the one I use now).

Note that they have a free "Community Edition", too (scroll down to the bottom of the downloads list and you'll find it). The free version strips out the EXIF from the photos (which contains information about camera settings used). But, the non-free versions retain it.

Neat Image

This one has a non expiring demo/trial version that is usable. The demo version of this one also strips out the EXIF. The non-free versions retain it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:42 AM   #8

Personally, I think the first image is really quite good. I don't know whether you used the original image from the camera or a downsized version to print, but for an ISO 400 picture, I think it looks very good. Whenever I use a printing service, I always resize my pictures, set the appropriate resolution, and do a little noise reduction and sometimes some color correction. Whenever I have done this my pictures have always come back looking the way I expect them to. ISO 400 will produce more noise, but my Fuji 5100 does a lot better job at ISO 400 then my other camera, which is a Pentax.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:20 PM   #9

Hi

Thanks for the info. The picture I did have to reduce them to have them fit. I really couldn't tell on my computer screen they were so grainy. I just shot a few more today and will see how they look when printed.

I knew that with faster speed film you would get more grain but thought 400 would be ok.

It is such a shame they are grainy the pictures turned out amazing..or I should the subject! Not a blurred shot! I will have to play around with my photo program and see if I can improve the image quality.

Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:21 PM   #10

Well, I am a strong advocate for using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to prepare my images before I ever had them printed. I resize them and crop them to the size that I want printed. There are a number of different philosophies on how to resize images. I have my own way of doing it which includes increasing the resolution to 240 PPI. You probably already know this, but the native resolution for JPEG images from the 5100 is 72 PPI. That isn't anywhere near high enough to produce a good print. I suggest that you find some sort of image editing software that will allow you to make some of these adjustments, and also includes some noise reduction filters. I think you will find you can do wonders with some of your images.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote