Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 11, 2003, 8:27 AM   #1

Default Fellow Fujiers I need help

Just recieved my s602. What size card do I need, want to take approx. 300 images at a resolution high enough to print 8.5 x10? How do my other s602 users like the s602? Can you put two cards in the camera at same time, will the camera switch to the other card when one is full?
Thanks all Mike
stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:45 PM   #2

Can't spend long so this is a quick reply. 602 is a great cam. Start with auto, flip flash when indoors, migrate to 'P' mode. Needs experimenting/learning else sometimes bad pics. Lots of things to change and get wrong! We help here!

Movie won't always work properly on CF, disclaimed in handbook. SM works well and fast but limit is 100 pics in 3Mpix fine. Don't shoot less res.. 6Mpix is a waste of time and card space - you won't see much improvement!. If you're shooting 300 upwards @ 3Mpix and don't want to mess changing cards, think microdrive longer term.

The cam will run with SM and CF in both slots. You set the priority in menu. Handy eh! think it switches, I know if you leave the SM behind, it shoots on to the CF!.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 9:18 PM   #3

My suggestion is to get a 1GB microdrive. I bought one in early October 02 and after hundreds of 1-3M pixs and several videos have not YET run out of space. Currently, the counter is on 782. Of course, I've deleted some stuff but overall, everything I've taken and kept since Oct 21, '02 is still there....I'm trying to fill it up.

I settled for a 1GB because the difference betweenit and the 512MB wasn't that much.

Enjoy!
WeekendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:51 AM   #4

Speaking of resolution, have any of you tried shooting at 6MP and resampling to 3MP? Supposedly, the resampled 3MP has better detail as compared to a picture taken at 3MP. I don't know first hand, I'm still saving up my lunch money. I read about this somewhere, and for the life of me, I can't remember where. ops:

I guess it would be a waste of time if the desired print output was 8x10, but what if the output were 5x7 or 3x5. Would there be any benefit? Or am I being a pixel chaser? :shock:
Alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:09 AM   #5

Alakai... I'm afraid the 602 is really 3Mpix native, and up converted to 6Mpix! So down converting back to 3MPix seems a no-no on quality grounds. Only chase real pixels and sensitivity, with lots of $'s, - you'll stay on much safer ground!
Old Jan 15, 2003, 7:29 AM   #6

Default Finished reeling, casting the rod again...

Hey Vox, thanks for the response. Your explanation is very logical and makes sense to me...my thinking exactly. But hey, strange things do happen. Aside from getting people's experience and input on this, I was hoping someone might try it out. You know? Stir up some madness in this forum. Hehe. I'm trying to live vicarously through other 602 owners.

Understood, it has a 3MP sensor. It get's it 6MP from "data coupling," okay. I'm really curious though to see if a 6MP image down sampled to 3MP would produce a sharper image than just a shot taken at 3MP. Come on, any takers? Am I trying to chase my tail?

Another week or so, and I think I'll have saved enough lunch money. I just can't wait though. If no one bites, I'll post my results. 8)
Alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:05 AM   #7

Well I can tell you that as far as I'm concerned the 6Mpix image looks no better (in fact softer) than the 3Mpix fine. So I don't waste space and slow the cam up by shooting at 6Mpix. I am working on the question, but not there yet with an answer.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:59 AM   #8

I have read in another forum that the 6MP image looks less sharp on a monitor, but sharper in a print.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 4:21 PM   #9

You could be right on an overall pic, but I was comparing the detail around edges of trees and branches zoomed to 400%, side by side, with equal size on screen, from a 3Mpix Fine image shot of the same scene!

I think when you're zoomed to this extent, monitor res. is not the issue.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:50 PM   #10

What I meant was that when you reduce the size of a 6MP image to say 8x10 on a print, and compare it to a 3MP image also at 8x10, the 6MP "looks" sharper. The only practical way of viewing any photo artistically is when you view it as a print or as a full screen picture, not at "original" size where you have to use the scroll bars to see it all. If you do view the 6MP on a monitor at "original" size and compare it to the 3MP at "original" size using the scroll bars, the 6MP looks less sharp. If you do a "slide show", where they are both reduced by different ratios to fit the screen, then you have another issue of which is then sharper.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote