Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 11, 2005, 3:28 AM   #11

Ok... I tried it the vacum way and then the air shot way. I didn`t buy canned air but used a pistol on an industrial kompressor !! The speck won`t budge. It`s still there.

Baz I looked at the pictures about taking the fuji apart but thought why go through all the trouble when I can fix a pic in photoshop in less than 2 seconds. I`ve lived with this spot for a week now and will leave it for the time being.

I am thinking about buying the Casio EXILIM Zoom EX-Z750 . I downloaded one of the larger files on http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gal...oz750_samples/ I printed it on my canon ip4000 and was blown away by the crispy picture. I printed it A4 size. It`s truely amazing. The fuji is a toy compared to the Casio and to tell you the truth I thought it would be the other way around.

Baz thanks for the link :-)
annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:20 PM   #12

Hi Folks, RW got in the way :-)
If its a big particle, the Tapping method is excellent. Failing that, the next most successful method is the "removing the front glass and blow method". CCD cleaning is a last resort. The 4900-6900-602...7000 lens assembly is one of the worst designs I've ever seen for dust. A pity, seeing as the 2800, 3800 were beautifully designed. The S9000 looks like they finally learnt their lesson, can't wait to open one up.
Good luck on the dust problem.
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 12:54 PM   #13

jkirk

I have an S7000, I use a 55-58mm filter tube with a 58mm skylight filter which I leave in place. Will this offer much protection against dust?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:21 AM   #14

COPY

Hiya,
First of all, the Adapter / Filter combination is VERY important. As the design of the lens unit on this series is so pathetically poor, MANY people have saved their ass using it. It doesn't take much to stuff up the lens from knocks and bumps. Its not to say that it WILL fail from a bump, I've had several S602s and treated them quite harshly (http://www.pbase.com/digsys/), and all has been fine. Its important to know what we're dealing with.
As for dust, thats another issue. First, the Adapter / Filter WILL HELP GREATLY. MOST people never have the issue (both with and without). Even after playing with many dozens of S602's, I couldn't prove it conclusively. Some people with the protection set STILL get dust. I've shot in dirt for several months and NEVER had dust (with the protection). The consensus is ... NEVER take it off, as there's NO disadvantages.
MOST people over the years, (many 100s) have been able to remove the dust easily, so its not a total disaster. IF you bump the lens directly though, it OFTEN is !!
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 1:41 AM   #15

Sorry people, but dust is pretty much a given in digi camera land. No point blaming the manufacturer, and it's a "point and shoot" attitude to expect these things to work flawlessly in all conditions for the rest of time. You could spend ten or thirty times as much money and still have to deal with this.

If it's that much of a bugbear, then perhaps it's time to go back to the original point and shoot film cameras?

I'm using an S2 Pro, had it for a year (was second hand), and just got my first spot of dust, despite the camera working almost exclusively in motorsport during the past twelve months.

I'm not slitting my wrists or blackening the name of the manufacturer, I'm just finding the right service outlet to get the CCD cleaned - and at the same time giving the cameraa birthday present with a full and thorough clean.

mark baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 3:44 AM   #16

I use digital camera's since august 2000, and have never ever had dust on my CCD. Except for when I bought a Canon 350D last month. Tenths of dust particles on the CCD, which showed up as big circles (like dirty fingerprints). So, camera back to the shop. (it is possible to clean the CCD, a lot of people do this, but I'm scared I will scratch the CCD).

On compacts, dust on the CCD is NOT normal!

&KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 4:26 AM   #17

Ira - I use a UV filter on my S5500 which I've now taken to leaving on all the time for the reasons mentioned above. One question - does the UV filter impact on image quality to any great degree. I'm assuming not, seeing as general advice seems to be to leave one on at all times. Thanks, Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 6:19 AM   #18

a cheap uv filter will have a very small impact on quality

a quality multicoated uv filter will have virtually none
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:02 AM   #19

See this article by Mike Johnston on the filter flare effect.http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/02062005.html . Filters will cause some flare in certain conditions, which can lead to minor image problems. Cheap, uncoated filters are worse. Having said that I have almost always used a UV or Skylight filter on my lenses for protection and have never seen any severe examples of this type of flare, just the occasional ghosting when shooting a dark scene with a very bright light source off-centre.

I will continue to use a UV filter on my S7000.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:42 AM   #20
Lam

I have been using the 602zvery carefully and always put it inside the dry box after used.

I wonder how can the dust get into the CCD....

You can try to make a test shoot, use F11 and shoot a sky picture during day time and see whether your camera has this problem or not.
Attached Images

Lam is offline   Reply With Quote