Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 15, 2005, 4:28 AM   #1

My S602, which I've had for 3 years has developed blotches inside the system I understand this is dust on the ccd. The camera has been gently used always and kept in a lowepro camera bag.

I now consider the camera to be unusable. It is also out of warranty.

I phoned Fuji (UK) - a callcentre - and was told by a less than impressive young girl operator that I should send it to Fuji along with £130. (This is their standard 'service' charge - and the service includes dusting the ccd.

However if this has happened once it can surely happen again? I can't be paying out so much money every 6 months or so.

My gut reaction is to junk the camera - cut my losses - NEVER buy anything from Fuji again - and continue my photography with a used FZ20 which is about all I can afford in the circumstances.

Any advice?

Dustbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:16 AM   #2

ALL digital camera can get dust on the CCD. One advantage of the dSLR is that you can take the lens off and clean the CCD yourself. With point and shoots, you cannot remove the lens, so you cannot clean the CCD.

So don't blame Fuji for the dust. Any camera that has a zoom lens or a lens that comes out of the body will be moving air in and out as it does so. Hence the likelyhood of getting dust inside.

Maybe you can find an independent repair man who would be willing to dismantle your camera and clean the CCD (for less than what Fuji quoted).

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 7:16 PM   #3

Camera manufacturers must love people like you!!

Of course I blame the manufacturer. I buy a reasonably expensive camera - take care of it and it then ceases to be fit for its purpose through no fault of my own. The manufacturer then effectively washes their hands of the camera.

It would seem reasonable that the problem is caused by the failure of the seals on the camera - which is amanufacturing error.

By the way the S602 is not a point and shoot camera.

I'm buying an FZ20.

I'll NEVER patronice Fuji again. :evil:
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:17 PM   #4

Dustbuster wrote:
Quote:
Camera manufacturers must love people like you!!

Of course I blame the manufacturer. I buy a reasonably expensive camera - take care of it and it then ceases to be fit for its purpose through no fault of my own. The manufacturer then effectively washes their hands of the camera.

It would seem reasonable that the problem is caused by the failure of the seals on the camera - which is amanufacturing error.

By the way the S602 is not a point and shoot camera.

I'm buying an FZ20.

I'll NEVER patronice Fuji again. :evil:
It may not be your fault the dust got in the camera, but it CAN happen with any camera that has a moving lens. You're incorrect about the seal, though, if it were sealed airtight the lens could not move. I'm sorry you feel this way, but this is no fault of Fuji either, it just happens. It could just as easily happen to the panasonic you are talking about buying. It happens to all cameras.

The S602 does not have a removable lens, does it? If not, then it is a point-and-shoot camera.

Do you keep a lens ring on the camera at all times with a UV filter on it? This is the best way to take an extra step to keep dust out of the camera, as the threaded-on filter acts as a secondary seal to help keep dust out. I keep one on my S5000 at all times for this very reason.

As for Fuji "washing their hands" of the camera, they DID offer to fix it. You don't expect them to fix it for free after it's out of warranty, do you? Is it fair for you to expect them to do that? How many photos have you taken with the camera in the three years you have used it? That lens has moved in and out a bunch of times in that time, I'm sure. Why would you expect to have to spend the repair money "every six months or so" if you sent it in for service? It's worked fine for 3 years, why wouldn't it work that long again once it's cleaned? That's an unrealistic statement to make saying you'd have to do it every six months or so from now on.

I'd say fix the camera, it would be foolish to junk it. I'd also second the reccomendation of having a local camera store price the job for you. If you have a local dealer that sells Fuji, they might even be able to call and get you a break on getting the service done by Fuji. I own a music instrument store and often times if I call a manufacturer and tell them I have a customer who really needs to get their product back as quickly and painlessly as possible, you'd be surprised how far that goes with them, even if the product is out of warranty. Again, asking Fuji to fix it for free when it's out of warranty is kind of unfair to them, as they have to pay the tech for his time to take it apart and work on it. Don't junk your 602.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:26 AM   #5
Baz

I share your pain Dustbuster. I also have a 2 or 3 year old Fuji602, that recently
shows a black spot in the center of the image. Like you I have been careful with the camera, and keep a filter on the lens.

I also do not consider it to be a 'point & shoot' camera, as it has very many manual modes. Sure it is not an interchangeable lens camera, but does that make it a point & shoot?

Well, what to do? I'd love to have some comment from J Kirk of Australia. He is very experienced with servicing Fuji cameras, and has offered advice here previously.

In the meantime, I'd be glad to know your progress with this problem Dustbuster.

This is a 602 image showing a black spot in the center. I realise that it can be removed with photo editing, but it is still a frustation.

Attached Images

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:52 AM   #6

Baz wrote:
Quote:
Ialso do not consider it to be a 'point & shoot' camera, as it has very many manual modes. Sure it is not an interchangeable lens camera, but does that make it a point & shoot?
I think this is the snobbery of some DSLR users Baz - anything that doesn't screw off the front they distain as 'point & shoot' - so be it - let's humour them. Anyone dealing with the subject honestly knows that a camera like the S602 is not a 'point & shoot' - but indeed does most things that a DSLR does - a true 'point & shoot 'does virtually NOTHING - a digital Instamatic on auto.

But they cause me to digress. My point is that manufactureres KNOW that dust will get into cameras. They all have seals (not 100% hermetic seals!!!!) and these are a partial method to keep dust out. Olympus have a new system that actually DOES keep dust out - so it is possible... it can be done.. not just inadequately patched up. Or are they hoping that the manic trading-up of a lot of photo amateurs means the original owner will be long gone from the camera BEFORE the problem with the seals hits? - Planned obsalescence.

An idiot might say " Buy an Olympus then" - but my point is that I think it is remiss of ANY major manufacturer to sell product which can be ruined though no fault of the user. I loved my S602 - and it's now ruined. I could throw £130 at it and it would be dusted - then what? Another £130 in 6 months time? Should I be dishonest - get it cleaned and sell it to another unsuspecting person?

To me the manufacturers attitude is tantermount to sharp practice - THEY KNOW about this problem & don't address it (except Olympus who are using it as a sales tool). Its in the same ballpark as NASA sending up the Shuttle KNOWING is was fatally flawed! Much less important (of course) but the principle holds.

Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:41 PM   #7

buster,

I disagree with your statement about the new Olympus system, "Olympus have a new system that actually DOES keep dust out - so it is possible... it can be done.. not just inadequately patched up. " Go to the Olympus site and read about their new system -
After dust gets on the image sensor, the sensor is vibrated at 35,000 times per second, which causes the dust to fall off the sensor and get stuck on an adhesive strip (probably a piece of double-sided tape). That's not keeping the dust out - thats knocking it off the sensor after it gets in - and it will get in, eventually. As Guitarman and amazing said, no moving lens could be competely sealed and still work.

And before you buy that used FZ20, why don't you call Panasonic and tell them you have a 3-year old camera (maybe an older model like an FZ1) that has dust on the sensor and see what they have to say? Do you think they're going to be any different than Fuji? Do you think they're going to come to your house and vacuum out your camera for nothing? While you're at it, call Nikon, Canon, Kodak and Pentax...see which one will fix a 3 year old camera for nothing...bet you can't find one.

You post to this forum asking for advice, then you lash out at the two people who tried to help you. I'm now going to give you some advice buster, don't ever compare your paltry dusty camera problems to the Space Shuttle disaster again..."much less important" - indeed!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:48 AM   #8
JTF

If you like the camera just pay to have it cleaned & carry on.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:27 PM   #9

Hi All,

I came across this forum because I was looking for a way to get rid of the dust spot on my Fuji S602.

I certainly wonder why it starts around 3 years. Yes...mine is also 3 years old.

Well I am not going to pay 130 pounds or Euros or even dollars to get it dusted.

I found the right screwdriver and already took out the 6 screws that hold the outer lens. I removed it but still can`t get closer. I will finish the job tomorrow because I want daylight while I`m doing this.

I`ll keep you posted on how it works out...or .....doesn`t :?
annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:19 PM   #10
Baz

Good for you Annemarie, I have considered doing the same, but so far haven't found the courage! Especially after reading the information (from J Kirk I mentioned above).

He clearly explains & illustrates with photos, the complexity of dismantling the 602.

The URL for his information is:

http://www.digsys.com.au/S602Z/S602Z.html

It's worth a look, and may help you in dismantling the 602.
There's 3 pages of notes. Best to check them all.

Good Luck Annemarie. Lets know it works out.

Baz.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote