Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:52 PM   #1

When I bought my 5100 I failed to notice that it lacked a hot shoe. I had been planning to purchase an accessory lens and use my external flash unit with it since many digicams' internal flashes do not work effectively with a large lens attached.

So, without a hot shoe, I have to consider a slave flash. My question is: Can the accessory lens be used with a slave flash triggered by the 5100's internal flash?

I fear the exposure will be uneven due to the internal flash being shadowed by the attached lens. The manual and bo clearly state that the internal flash is not usable with accessory lenses. My current reasoning for this is that the lens shadows the flash.
ohgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:19 PM   #2

The flash in wide angle mode is good for about 16.5'. In telephoto mode, it's about 15'. I don't know why you would want to use extra lenses (except maybe a wide) in that range but each to his own.

You can use a slave flash with a trigger--Just block the forward look of thepop-up flash. Make sure your cover doesn't reflect into or cover the flash sensorjust below the flash.You will want to have a flash that you can set and also set the camera. You'll loose most of the auto capabilities of the flash and camera. Some trial shots at various settings will be in order.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:41 PM   #3

If you're saying I should attempt to trigger the flash at the same time as the exposure on my own then I'm not happy. As far as I know, the camera's flash will have to fire in order to trigger the flash unit, so covering the internal flash would do no good. That is how a slave flash works, isn't it? If you mean I should put a cover over the flash that will electronically trigger the slave unit, then I might have something here. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by your first paragraph and yes, specifically I am looking to use a wide angle lens. I'm guessing you are trying to say that accessory lenses would not be necessary when you have that flash range. To this I say: I don't want to use the camera's flash, I'm trying to use some kind of external unit

Thanks for the help.
ohgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:21 PM   #4

I said, "Just block the forward look of thepop-up flash". :roll:

Leave the side(s) open to trigger the slave. This is, of course, assuming you're using a grip type flash holder and not a stand alone. Aim your trigger at the camera's flash--The part you left open (usually on the left).

If you're using a stand alone fill flash, then don't bother covering the camera's flash at all. Just make sure your fill will cover the area below the lens. Like setting the flash below the camera.

Forgot to mention: The type of trigger(s) I use rely on the camera's flash to trigger. I have several wireless type that trigger the remote flash when it "sees" the camera flash. That way, I can set the remote flashes anywhere. Even daisy chain them behind a subject to light an entire football field, if necessary.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote