Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:32 PM   #1

I know the 4 M Fine quality setting produces files twice as large as the normal setting. Both settings have 2272x1704 recorded pixels. What is the difference in the image that requires twice the file size and does it make a significant difference in image quality?
paulhaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:37 PM   #2

I'm not an expert about these things, but I believe it has to do with JPG compression. The S5100 allows you to save pictures in RAW mode. This is the actual unadulterated image captured by the sensor, with every bit of information intact. Trouble is, the files are huge. JPG compresses the image by removing information you probably won't miss. The 'Fine' mode compresses the image by 6:1 and the 'Normal' mode compresses the image 12:1 (that's why the 'Fine' pics are twice the size of the 'Normal' pics). Unless you're going to make large prints (larger than 4x6"), the 'Normal' mode will probably be acceptable for you. Using the RAW mode requires a certain amount of processing to make a viewable picture.

I hoped that helped a little.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:01 PM   #3

I read a little about file compression at the following site.

http://webdesign.templatemonster.com...sion.2456.html

I then took a couple of shots of the same scene at F and N quality settings. I compared them in Photoshop Elements at magnifications up to 1600x (All I saw was pixel squares) and couldn't tell any difference. I know the larger file has more color info per pixel, but my eyes aren't good enough to see it.

I guess I will stick with the N setting for now.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:09 PM   #4

I found an informative column on this subject right here at Steve's Digicams

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techc...ober_2004.html
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:42 PM   #5

I only use 4M normal and under. Unless you are taking a wedding photo or something that important, than I wouldn't really recommend the highest settings.

Of course, I do have a 1 GB memory card, so space really isn't a problem w/ me.

Everybody should have 1 GB!
DanmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:40 AM   #6

DanmanX wrote:
Quote:
I only use 4M normal and under. Unless you are taking a wedding photo or something that important, than I wouldn't really recommend the highest settings.

Of course, I do have a 1 GB memory card, so space really isn't a problem w/ me.

Everybody should have 1 GB!
I always use the fine mode, and I find it necessary. I print many times in 11 X 14 and also do cropping so the extra data is important. I also have 2 512MB cards, and until I see some more test results on the type M card I will hold off buying a 1GB.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote