Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1

I'm in the market for a pocket point and shoot. My top choice is the Fuji F-10. However, I live in bright and sunny New Mexico and am concerned that the LCD will be invisible for daylight shooting. Is the ability to brighten the LCD screen useful in sunlight? Input from others who live in similar climates, especially owners of F-10's would be helpful.

Other suggestions for a point and shoot are welcome, but I have limitations=left handed, arthritis in the hands. Elph series Canons are too small. My left hand hits the lens of the Sony P-200. I don't like the ergonomics of the Casio FZ750. TIA.
mmrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:57 AM   #2

I decided against the F-10-- the local stores would not let me try it out in their parking lots. :sad: Purchased a Kodak V550 with a large, bright LCD and a reasonable viewfinder. As it turns out, the Kodak is not necessarily an alternative. The LCD in sunlight is not useful for more than vaguely framing a shot. With the viewfinder, I missed my subject. (Got to read the manual:lol:.) Part of the problem is my glasses. They have transition lenses that get very dark outdoors. Not a big help in viewing an LCD. The Kodak LCD is easy to see in shaded situations. Expect this would be true of the F-10 as well.

I still want the F-10 for its natural light setting and color handling. I take pictures of textiles, usually in no flash situations, and think the F-10 will be ideal for this purpose.
mmrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:25 AM   #3

I think you just outlined the right responce.
I have an F10 and while you can see an outline of the picture with bright sunlight, you can't see the picture clearly, and I'd expect similar results to the one you're using.
In the shade it's easy to see the LCD and for myself, I only need that faint outline since I can see the shot infront of me. I completely understand why your transitions would be a problem though. I think a lot of people would have been happier if Fuji had put a viewfinder in the F-10.
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:53 PM   #4

In bright sunlight you'll see enough to frame your shot, but not any details.

I go back and forth. Viewfinders are nice when it's really bright or I'm trying to get an action shot, but my framing always sucks when I use them, because with compact digis the viewfinder is so wildly inaccurate.

If Fuji actually had a decent continuous shooting mode, I'd say it was more of a problem, because that's the time you really want a viewfinder. Alas, the only compact that does this is the Canon SD500, and it doesn't have a sports (i.e. fast shutter) mode -- so the continuous shooting is almost totally useless.

El Caballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:27 AM   #5

One of the better things Fuji did was put the LCD 'gain up' button right on the camera, not hidden in menus. If you press that, it significantly brightens the LCD output (although it makes it pretty noisy too). For me, this has been really useful, and makes the difference between guessing and knowing. This isn't the same as the 'lcd brightness' which is hidden in the setup menu. The gain up actually increases the sensitivity to incoming light, rather like boosting the LCD ISO setting. This is also useful for framing shots in dark conditions.

That said, we're just talking about framing here. In these conditions, the LCD isn't going to give you any useful information on focus, exposure, white balance - so you're trusting to auto on those.
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote