Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:32 PM   #1

Default s602 - CF and display refresh questions

:?: 1) OK - go easy on me - evidently the compactflash question has been answered before, but I couldn't find an answer to my question. My question is general compatibility with CF cards, not just for video. I just got my camera, just got a SimpleTech CF Type I 128Mb card and the camera always tells me Card Error - I tried it alone in the camera and also with a SmartMedia and changing the primary memory to CF (in this case it tells me it's not initialized). It wouldn't even let me format it - I think it told me Card Error at that point. Obviously it might be that the CF is bad, but evidently according to the manual not all CF cards are compatible (which I believe goes against the CF standard). Is there anyway to find out which CF cards work BEFORE I buy them?

:evil: 2) I noticed right away that when panning the camera, the image on the LCD lags behind. This is very annoying - it would seem this would make taking action shots (like a car driving by) almost worthless. I need to play with the camera more - I didn't check if the EVF did the same thing. Any input on this???
aero23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2003, 4:51 PM   #2

1. I've got a Kodak CF card in the slot, and 128 SM enabled as my primary media. If I remove the SM card, the cam saves to CF. I always thought the CF issue was speed related, i.e movie mode freezes after 20 seconds (cam buffer underflow) or possibly rapid shooting at high res.

Other members here will tell you what cards they are using. Is your card fresh? if it's been used or formatted in something else like an MP3 player, there are some reasons for probs here. People say 'reformat the card' but I think the 602 does this first time round when it's blank, and if it doesn't like it afterwards, you get the card error message and can't then re-format.

The CF standard probably specs the media type, pin out etc, but there are differences in the way drivers on the card are configured. SM uses drivers in the cam to write to the card which is 'bare memory' so compatibility for function and speed, is more guaranteed. In the absence of recommendations here, Fuji cards must work (but not necessarily perfect in movie mode). I'm moving to microdrive soon - more competitive per MB if you were considering large CF.

Never used the lcd in movie mode, always used the evf. and didn't see a big prob. Panning is great for showing up JPEG artefacts which are non-correlated frame to frame (best seen on monitor, in full screen replay!), so best to avoid as much as possible.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2003, 5:01 PM   #3

Default I need to clarify a few things...

Thanks for the reply, but I need to clarify a few things. I haven't even begun to think about trying video mode yet. The screen lag thing is just simply when panning the camera across the room in photo mode, ready to take a still picture, not even with the shutter button pressed at all. I don't need to pan the camera very fast either to see the lag. It will lag with a pan speed of about 45 deg. per sec. This seems like taking action shots (like of a moving car for example) would be pretty much useless. I did this inside last night with a low light level though. Perhaps this goes away outside with more light?

On the CF issue - it's a brand new CF right out of the package. The first try was with no SM, just CF. It gives me a Card Error as soon as I turn on the camera. With both media types in, it doesn't say anything because by default the SM is the primary media. After changing the primary media to CF, it gives me an initialization error. If I try to initialize it, it changes the message to Card Error when I change the camera mode to 'view pictures' where evidently you're supposed to be able to format.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:12 PM   #4

1. Yes there is lag if I frame indoors under tungsten. But I've not been aware of it in good daylight. You have the 5 shot and continuous shot modes, so with plenty of storage (which works) you can get good action shots - if there's enough light for fast shutter.

2. Sounds like a card issue then. The only time I saw this error, was putting a big card in an old cam that maxed out at 8Mb.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 8:48 PM   #5
NHL

aero23

Do you have a card reader? Try to format the CF card in DOS or fat-16... usually that's what the problem is.

Can a PC read/write to the card? If it can there's nothing wrong with the CF card, but just a formatting error. A card normally leave the factory with fat-16 formatted for the factory internal testings (the same thing will happen to a microdrive)... Somebody may bought the card mess it up with Window fat-32, returned and it get re-shelfed, this happen all the time...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the good information - I'm in a wierd situation - my current computer is an old Pentium II dual boot Win95/NT4 machine. No USB... My new computer is on order so I have no card reader at the moment. The CF couldn't have been returned because there is no way to unpackage a SimpleTech CF card without destroying the packaging.... and the packaging isn't even recyclable... shame. This is what has me worried - if it the case where the camera just won't read this type of CF card I'm screwed because I wouldn't blame the store for not wanting to take the CF back being that the packaging is gone. Does anyone know of a list anywhere on the web of CF cards that are known to work in certain cameras? Like the s602 for instance.... ??? This is a pretty lame situation. If you see a CF for a good deal, you're taking a chance on buying it unless you know it will work in your camera before hand... hmmm.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 1:23 PM   #7
NHL

How about taking your CF card to the store to try on different camera? One of thoses (except G2 or G3) should be able to format your card... or see if the card is really bad.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 5:16 PM   #8

As I said, with all the posts here, including from me, my first choice for CF would be Fuji. There are people using cards claimed to work at high data rates. But I wouldn't take the chance. My small Kodak one works (could be luck) but if I was shelling out $$'s I'd go cheapest SM or microdrive.

I think NHL has the right idea. If you can find somebody with a laptop, you could pick up a pcmcia reader cheap and try reading/writing/reformatting. If you can't do any of this then send back under warranty. By the way, check all the pins on the connector are there and straight. Otherwise, it sounds like Ebay. 128Mb CF cards are not enormous price now (compared to a cam). If I'd bought 512Mb I might be more paranoid!
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:13 PM   #9

I've been using a 12x Lexar 256MB CF card for a couple of months with absolutely no problems. I've shot around 300 pictures and formatted the card several times. I've erased individual pictures with the camera or the computer with no noticable difference. I've formatted the card with the computer - and then found I had to format it again with the camera before I could use it - but it worked with no problems.

Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I think it has more to do with the brand of CF card. SmartMedia cards are basically just flash memory in a case and they rely on the camera's interface to store data on the card. CompactFlash cards are a little more advanced in that they have flash memory with an integrated controller to utilize that memory chip. The advantage of the controller is that it buffers data transfer, and manages storage similar to the IDE controller built into a computer hard disk, and thus allows for faster read/write access; however the presence of a controller and the fact that different card manufacturers may use different implementations of the CF controller may cause compatibility problems in some cards while others may work fine.

12x Lexar 256MB CF has served me well so far, and my boss also uses a Fuji S602 with a 24x Lexar 256MB CF card with no problems. My suggestion would be to return the SimpleTech card and buy a Lexar card from bhphotovideo.com. Or buy a 1GB IBM Microdrive, and I'll swap you for my CF card
trialpha is offline   Reply With Quote