Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 24, 2005, 4:14 PM   #1

pros and cons would be great!!

fuji is a great looking camera !

kodak is good in low light !

vote now !!!!!!

thanks

paul
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2005, 9:42 PM   #2

marshy,

I looked at both models in the store before I bought...the S5100 felt much better in my hand...I got my finger pinched between the hand grip and the lens on the DX 6490. I don't know if the DX 6490 has AF assist...I don't think it has, but the S5100 does. The power up to first shot time for the Kodak is close to 6 seconds, the Fuji is about 3 1/2 seconds. The cycle time for the Kodak (time between shots) is 2.35 seconds, but after 7 shots, it goes up to 6-7 seconds, since it has to clear the buffer. The S5100 has a cycle time of 1.94 seconds, which lasts indefinitely, since it has no buffer to clear. The Kodak uses a propritary Lithium-Ion battery, and the S5100 uses AA's.

I looked at sample pictures taken with the Kodak on a couple of sites. While decent, I feel the S5100's picture quality is better.

I bought the S5100...I would tell you if I didn't like it.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

I had this very same choice to make last year when I bought my s7000. I don't know the s5100 at all, and I don't know this specific Kodak model, but I can tell you what I think is the s7000's (and most likely the s5100 & s5500) biggest flaw, that the Kodak likely doesn't have (again, I don't know your specific model, but the simillar model that I was looking at, at the time is probably very simillar), and that is that the Fuji shoots a 4:3 picture. That's the same aspect ratio as your computer screen & TV. That's fine if you only plan to view your shots on the comouter, but if you want to print them, it's a pain in the ass because every single shot must be cropped (or trust your printer to do it for you). The Kodak's should be shooting a standard 35mm 4x6 frame. No cropping.

In my opinion, 4:3 is great for a web camera, but sucks huge for photo camera.

Now keep in mind that I did end up choosing the s7000 over the Kodak, so it did have it's advantages, and what's important to you may be different than what is important to me. Basically, figure out what you are looking for in a camera, and find the camera that fits best fits those needs.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:09 AM   #4

Well O choose the S5100, and don't regret it one bit. I don't have any problems printing from Paint Shop Pro or Q image. I print 99% of my pictures using Easy Photo Print that came with my Canon I960 printer. The cameras colors a re vibrant, very little chromatic distortion. Its macro mode works fine, and I have been able to take 10X zoom without a tripod. That takes a lot of practice.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:47 AM   #5

I have worked with images from approximately eight different digital cameras, and every one of them has shot in a 4:3 ratio. Is there a digital camera that DOESN'T shoot in that ratio? I have found one company that actually offers a 4.5x6 inch print, which is pretty much full-frame. The only problem is, there aren't any photo albums to accommodate them.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:56 PM   #6

I've owned 2 Kodak digicams and they both shot 4x6. I believe their entire line does. Plus most if not all of the DSLR's shoot 4x6 too. Snapfish does offer a 4x5.something print option that gives you pretty much full frame too, and that is a decent work around.

When I made the choice to buy Fuji, I didn't think the aspect difference would bother me as much as it actually does. To me, that's just a huge drawback. Everyone has their opinions on what features make or break a camera, and what are important to them. My advice to anyone buying anything is to figure out what is important in their purchase and what they can live without. Then make the purchase based on that info. Just asking for the opinions of strangers is a terrible way to make a purchase decision.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:59 PM   #7

The DX 6490 utilizes a 4:3 aspect ratio, same as the S5100.

the Hun

Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:05 PM   #8

Whoops, my mistake...apparently the DX 6490 is switchable and can take 4:3 or 3:2 aspect ratio.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...x6490_pg5.html

the Hun

Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:32 AM   #9

I guess that just goes to show you how little knowledge I have about the different cameras that are available. But, personally, I don't know if I would want to shoot in 4x6 in. or 2:3 ratio anyway. None of the standard print or enlargement sizes are the same ratio. I would rather crop down to a 4x6 in print from a standard 4:3 ratio (I think) and have the "extra" available in case I wanted to crop an image to another size such as 5x7, 11x14, etc. With so many different sizes and ratios possible, I'm not sure having a 2:3 ratio option in the camera is any real advantage. Unless, of course, your intention is only to shoot and print 4x6 in. prints. I do print a lot of those, and I always crop them the way I want them before I send them to a processor. But I also print a lot of other sizes and do quite a bit of DVD slideshow presentation work. So I suppose it is just what you become accustomed to working with.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote