Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1

Hi all. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the exposure when I use the flash on my s5100. When I use the full manual mode and the flash indoors, it seems like no matter what I set the shutter speed to I get the sameexposed image. Whether I set it to 1/4 second or 1/2000 I get the exact same results. It tends to overexpose if the shot is of something very close, say within 4 feet. Is this normal for this camera?
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:50 AM   #2

The duration of the flash from your camera is about 1/10,000 of a second, much shorter than the fastest shutter speed you have on your camera. So adjusting the shutter speed is not going to make any difference in your pictures. I would suggest trying a few in automatic mode and see how they turn out. I have been quite satisfied with the results from mine.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3

gip,

Check and see if your flash is set on the auto mode. If it is, it should adjust its duration based on distance to the target, thereby properly exposing the shot. Being in manual mode may also have something to do with this. Try taking some shots in AUTO just to see.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:56 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll try playing with it some more in auto mode and see what happens.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5

There's no auto flash mode when in full manual. If you want to use manual mode, YOU mustcontrol the exposure. That's the purpose for manual mode. You have to set both the shutter speed AND the f-stop. The exposure compensation meter (in the lower right) will help youwith this. The same applies to the flash in manual mode. Use the flash's EV settings to decrease or increase flash power. This setting is separate from the camera EV setting.

Until you've put some hours behide the EVF/LCD, use the P or Auto mode. These two modes will allow auto flash.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:47 PM   #6

Also, while speeding up the shutter wil not darken the pictures, slowing down the Apeture will.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote