Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:11 PM   #11

Look at the whole fraction, not just the denominator.

1/2.7=0.3703 inches

1/2.5=0.4000 inches

thus:

0.4000 > 0.3703
Rbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:13 PM   #12

I'm confused.The differences I can find between the S5500/s5100 and the s5600/s5200 (looking at the dutch fujifilm site) are:Of course the s5600 has the 5mp and the super CCD HR, it also has up to ISO1600, a anti-movement blurry program thingy, faster start times...It doesn't have manual focus, it doesn't have light measurement in spot or averages, it's aperture (I think that's what it's called) only goes up to F8.0 instead of F9.0, it doesn't have the flaslight correction, it doesn't have the lensring (to put filters on) as standard included accesory anymore....Here there is no price know yet, but if I look at this it seems that they took some nice features away. Now I haven't seen anything else about the new model yet, but I was going to wait for it. What should I do know? Wait for the new one or buy the old one? Money should be much of a point, but I want some control over what I shoot, and of course nice pics.Thanks in advance for your help,Sara
divinenanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:36 PM   #13

Sara,

The S5200 and 5600 are supposed to be identical, so maybe you should take a look at the US Fuji site. According to the US Fuji site, the S5200 does, indeed have manual focus, and it has TTL 64-zone metering (multi, spot, average) light metering. I don't know what you mean by 'flaslight' correction. All of the pictures I've seen of the S5200 show a threaded ring on the lens. I don't think the F8/F9 thing is much of a loss.

When you consider all of the positive features you mentioned, plus the fact that the S5200 also offers a larger sensor, RP processor (same as the F10), the option of shooting at a 3:2 aspect ratio (at 5 MP resolution), larger LCD (1.8"), better battery life (500 shots per charge - CIPA Std), a histogram, a non-extending lens (no way for dust to get in), and USB 2.0 connectivity, I think you'd be gaining a lot more than you'd be losing. The probable MSRP (US) is $399, so the discounters will probably cut that back a bit right away. Sounds like a lot of camera for the money.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:31 PM   #14

OK I see a couple of issues here:

1 - lets forget about if this camera is an upgrade from the 5100, if you own a 5100 you don't really need this camera, unless you need the faster startup times possible due to the fixed lens. By making the lens fixed, instead of extending, it cut startup from over 3 seconds to about 1. I think this is a significant figure for some users. As an addition this makes the camera somewhat less prone to damage and dust since they have eliminated moving parts (totally unnecessary moving parts if you ask me).

2 - higher resolution and less noise? This sensor is just as large as the sensor used in most big zoom compacts (other than the "prosumer" models). The point here is that Fuji have achieved lower noise using in camera processing, something they have been very good at lately. This is not going to give the quality of a large sensor DSLR but it should allow use of high ISOs when needed and still get acceptable results.

If you already have an S5100, you probably shouldn't upgrade to this camera because the differences in most performance areas are incremental (except of course for startup time, shutter lag time, and high ISO performance) but if you have any of the 2 or 3MP big zoom models, or any small lens p&s, this camera may be for you.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:39 PM   #15

Thanks for your replies. I hope the specs for the Dutch version are updated. Fuji does say on their side that different countries can have different specs. Why they would lower the specs for Holland makes no sense, but you never know. I hope it will still be a good cam, I have my eye on it as a replacement for my dying Canon A60.Sara
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:47 PM   #16

I currently have the s5100 and have no complaints with the results it has given me. However, I am interested in some of the improvements the s5200 offers...specifically, the faster start up, the reduction in shutter lag, histogram, etc. I'm just wondering about some of my accessories. I have filters, conversion lenses, etc, that of course fit the 55 mm AR-FX5A lens adapter of the 5100. Is the threaded portion of the fixed lens on the 5200 also 55mm...I'm assuming so, but just want to confirm. Also, I have seen no mention of a telephoto conversion lens for the 5200, only wide angle...any idea why?
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:11 AM   #17

Hello again,I e-mailed the Dutch department of Fuji and asked them about the differences between the Dutch and German/American versions of the S5600/S5200. They said it was their mistake, the specs aren't 100% sure yet. They changed the (Dutch) specs to the same things as the German/American. Now all they need to do is release that camera before October 15th, and it's mine Sara
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:04 PM   #18

And now, it's been ordered.... yay!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:33 AM   #19

hi there,

I'm new here, simplequestions:

1. will Fujifilm S5200beat Canon S2 IS at picture quality? (sharpness, CA)

2. is there any movie improvement? (zooming during film);

...it is so hard for me;... i can't decide between: Pana FZ20, Canon S2 IS, Fujiflm S5200...;

Thx

brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:54 AM   #20

brainwashed wrote:
Quote:
hi there,

I'm new here, simple¬*questions:

1. will Fujifilm S5200¬*beat Canon S2 IS at picture quality? (sharpness, CA)

2. is there any movie improvement? (zooming during film);

...it is so hard for me;... i can't decide between: Pana FZ20, Canon S2 IS, Fujiflm S5200...;
1. Remains to be seen. If the Super CCD enabled the S5200 to produce relatively noise-free and sharp ISO400 (usable ISO800 and 1600 might be out of question) the lack of IS would not be such a great deal.

2. Haven't found anything about zooming during film.

It all boils down to this: Wait and see what the first reviews look like - at least due in October I hope.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote