Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:27 PM   #101

Good for you, at least you will soon get a nice camera

Sure it will be close to the FujiFilm S9000 Zoom anyway and for much cheaper as it's not as fresh as the S9000 :idea:

Certainly a sensible buy. Let us know your findings. You can still speak to us :lol:
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:50 PM   #102

I may be the odd one out here because I am seriously considering this camera over a DSLR. I have enough Pentax lenses to cover most of the focal lengths this camera does so an *istDS or the new *istDS2 (not the DL, penta mirrors are a poor excuse for a prism). I also have 3 Maxxum zooms that cover 18mm to 210mm, so a Konica Minolta 5D is also on my list. It leaves me in a quandry since I know the S9000 will fulfill my needs right now, but I like the idea of keeping my options open with a DSLR.

Despite its anti-shake, and the fact that I have a more complete lens set, I am looking more to the Pentax than the Minolta right now for two reasons, the Pentax has a standard hot shoe so there are options for flash and the Pentax uses AA batteries so all of my NiMH cells will work. I think it may be time to get some opinions in the "Which camera should I buy" forum.

Goofas, Good luck with your A200, the anti-shake should make up for the low ISO limit and it still has a nice manual zoom, a good choice.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:26 PM   #103

Thanks guys. The "Fuji crowd" has always been the most down to earth here at Steve's. I will still be awaiting the review of the S9000. Look for me in the Minolta forum in a few days for some posts.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:04 AM   #104

Well, I got mine pre-ordered now at a local photoshop. I'll get a call or mail as soon is it gets in. If no reviews have been put online by that time, I'll see what I can do. :-)
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:30 PM   #105

Well the guy who started all this bought a KM A200, no reason why the rest of us can't wait and see what Fuji has in store. If the image quality of this camera is as good as the samples I have seen it is still on my short list.

As for a DSLR, I think I am more likely to go Pentax than KM, that is if this camera doesn't get my money first.

Ira

Proton, I look forward to your impressions, looks like it could still be a long wait though, late September was it?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:45 PM   #106

Maybe I'm just jaded. LOL So far I haven't been blown away with any of the S9000 samples I've seen online.

I use a Canon 10D as my primary camera and it would be unfair to compare any consumer camera to a DSLR, however, I also use a S7000 as my backup. With the exception of a slightly higher pixel count and a few physical design modifications, I don't see the S9000 images being any better at all than what a S7000 can produce. For all purposes, take your images with a S7000 at 12MP fine, then reduce them to a 9MP size, and poof - you've got some S9000 images.

The AF assit is a welcome addition as is the swivel screen and reworking of the lens barrel assembly, but is it worth $699.00 for those who already have a S7000 to upgrade? So far, I don't think so. Those who haven't yet bought a high end consumer model may be in the market, but I think Fuji missed the ball regarding getting current owners to want to shell out for an upgrade (at least me).

Again, we'll have to wait for Steve and others to get their review models for a final verdict.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:03 PM   #107

atlantagreg,

I am beginning to rethink this, I have an S7000 which I am quite pleased with. There are some issues with image quality, as you outlined yourself in this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...364130#p364130

I am looking hard at one of the Pentax DSLRs, a(an) *istDS, DL, or DS2 (I hate that *ist name). I have a lot of older Pentax lenses and feel that I could have a lot of fun with these cameras, and get the image quality expected from a DSLR. The S7000 will be my constant companion while the DSLR will be for those times that I set out to take pictures ("serious" fun).

I still think that the S9000 is the best looking all-in-one on the horizon, and a definite next step for anyone who does not already own lenses and has a limited budget.

BTW my Pentax lenses include manual focus lenses of 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 135mm f2.8, 20-80mm f3.5/4.5, 80-200mm f4, 500mm f8 mirror lens, and a 2X teleconverter, plus an autofocus 28-80mm f3.5/5.6. Now you can see why I have decided to wait and probably get a DSLR Pentax. If I didn't have these lenses I would be on the wait list for the S9000.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:19 AM   #108

For me the step is ofcourse big, the camera I have now is a compact HP735, 3.2mp, with 3x zoom. For me it would be like stepping out of an old Volkswagen Beetle into a Rolls Royce :-)
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:52 AM   #109

Proton

That is just what I mean, if I did not have such a complete set of lenses I would definitely buy the Fuji S9000. Compared to the Fuji, a DSLR can quickly become a money pit, and often we end up buying expensive lenses that we use very seldom. The Fuji covers all of the focal lengths that I used regularly, it offers what appears to be usable high ISO, and offers most of the handling advantages of a DSLR so it is an excellent choice.

I am sure that you will enjoy the greater degree of creativity offered by this camera.

Ira
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:49 AM   #110

Hello All,

Still waiting for the S9000 release. Been checking the WWW everyday.

The only issue that really worries me is the reported 7 second re-cycle time for the flash, (the manual states the LCD can blackout as the flash recycles).

Has anyone information on the S9000's built-in flash?

I hope the reviews cover this issue as well as if there is a delay to firing an external flash.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote