Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:50 PM   #111

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
The only issue that really worries me is the reported 7 second re-cycle time for the flash, (the manual states the LCD can blackout as the flash recycles).
Reported by whom? If there's no reviews or cameras available, who reported it?

The EVF/LCD blackout during flash charging occurs with the S5100 but with good batteries, it hasn't presented a problem for me. The 5100 charges the flash in a couple of seconds. It's usually ready before I am.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:53 PM   #112

My A200 arrived today and WOW! Looks like I will be doing some serious homework to learn this puppy. I have 3 stuck pixels on the LCD so I will be calling Minolta in the morning to see where I can get this fixed. The image quality looks great so far indoors. The zoom ring and focus ring are fantastic. I'll get some pictures uploaded in the KM forum. Good luck with everyone that decides to get a S9000...I can't wait to some some shots!
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 11:29 PM   #113

The A200 looks like a great camera. I'm a little drawn back by the 17 cents per picture in battery costs though. I hope the special Li battery lasts a very long time. It's a lot of cash to amortize.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 6:13 AM   #114

An extra battery is only $19 at newegg. Not a bad price at all.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:12 PM   #115

Yep, that is a better price. I was looking on Amazon. They were around $46 there and marked down from $50. Where does Newegg get there stock? I wonder if it's a real Li battery? It scares me when I see such a "discount price".
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:29 PM   #116

Hello,

my own experience in digical photography have been made only with the S602Z and the S7000Z, but recently i was disappointed by that cameras.

I want to picture my dog with a blured backgroud, so they say i need aperture f/1.4 or at least f/2.8

they say digital cameras CCD are too small to proceduce blur like a 24x36 camera, so i need to zoom to compensate (100mm for 50mm eq) ok ...

S7000 has f/2.8 ok, 100mm ok ... but PROBLEM ! THE MANUAL FOCUS ! Impossible to find how to fix it precisely !

On Reflex objectives, the distance of the focus is clearly indicated, but on these camera nothing, nib, nada !!!

It's AWFUL !

How fuji could have forget something like that, how to focus manually precisely ?

So i post here because i am wondering if this problem is fixed with the S9000 or not, can we know exactly the value of the zoom we currently are (100mm, 300mm), seems yes with the sample pictures of the camera ...

AND MOST IMPORTANT ! can we know exactly the distance of the focus ? (0.5m to infinite), it seems that not AWFUL ! just hope i am wrong
t007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:58 PM   #117

t007

No doubt the EVF is the biggest drawback of this type of camera. The specs for the S9000 imply a faster refresh rate for the display (easier to follow movement) but the actual resolution is only about equal to the S7000. I have no idea if there is a distance scale (it would be a big improvement).

As for control over DOF, note that the vast majority of DSLR are not 24x36 but closer to 16x24, therefore the DOF of most DSLRs is greater for a given aperture than a 35mm. That said, the problem for the tiny sensor cameras is still that they have very high DOF, even the background is recognizable at f2.8 unless your subject is quite close. The only way to significantly reduce DOF is with a fairly fast lens on a DSLR. One photographer made an interesting observation on this however, he noted that software will allow us to blur backgrounds, but nothing can restore focus if the image is not in focus to begin with.

Since I already have an S7000 I am now favouring a DSLR as my next camera, but if I had a lower resolution camera or one with a limited 3 - 4X zoom I would have the S9000 near the top of my list.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:05 PM   #118

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6817108523Same battery as the one in the A200 as per me and Steve's review.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:20 PM   #119

thank you very much Monza76
so you think too they haven't done the big improvement of a scaled focus with the s9000, what a pity really.

I really think S9000 even with 9MP is a camera for beginners and not for advanced users and hobbyists what a pity
As the S3 PRO is too slow and much more expensive, I was thinking about getting a NIKON D70s as DSLR, but after having read reviews and compared sample pictures i think the best would be the CANON EOS 20D, too expensive for me unfortunately plus haven't found any objective with aperture f/1.4 at affordable price.

So the for beginners S9000 is allways the only solution to fit my needs and upgrade my old S7000.
Sorry a without scaled focus camera can't be for advanced users.

allways hope to be wrong

t007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:55 PM   #120

Monza76: If you make the jump to the Pentax dSLR, I will be interested in the model you purchase and why...

They now have, as current models, the *istDS, DL, and the newly released (or soon to be released) DS2...

I have yet to find a comparison between the 3, even tho they are all current, and only the *istD is the old model...

I have to assume that each succeeding model made changes over the previous model, but changes are not always improvements...:blah:...

If there is a side-by-side comparison of those 3 Pentax models, or a write-up on what each one has that the other model(s) do not, I would be interested...

What did they improve and where did they cut corners???:G:G
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote