Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:31 AM   #141

I request a feedback on the S9000/S9500 Fuji.. Please respond shud u have some details on the same.. may be to my personal ID at [email protected]

Nanda Kishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:04 AM   #142

SteveDak,

I just took the time to read that entire thread. Most of the comments seem to come from three or four individuals whose seem to have a lot more money to spend on cameras than I do. You will notice that those who commented about the quality of the pictures were very impressed with the results. I would still be hesitant to purchase the camera until I have an opportunity to read some official reviews.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:23 AM   #143

Thanks JP, It seems to me that many of the folks who areunhappyare trying to compare the 9000 with the DSLR in terms of technology, but NOTprice!Even as a newcomer I recognise that this is not a SLR and we are not being asked to payan SLR price for it! Still think thatwhere I'm coming from it represents a good choice of camerafor me togain experience with. Agree that it would be wise to wait for further informed feed back before splashing out.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:04 AM   #144

Only (?) limitation noticed by first owners on DPREVIEW

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1012

seems to be the lag between 2 pictures, with the screen being blank for nealry 1 second.

If they are not more accurate than that - hope they try WITHOUT flash - it could well be the standard spec as it says Frames per second: 1.5

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/re...s9000_EN3.html

Alternatively, it could well be... a bug

Just wait for more reviews and see what they say

gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 1:31 PM   #145

I know that I am now just repeating myself but not everyone of us needs the speed of a DSLR, let me compare it this way.

Before digital, 35mm was the format of choice for most amateurs and even most professionals, however medium format was what we aspired to. Now we have EVF digicams at the 35mm SLR price point and DSLRs at the medium format level. This is true of image quality as well as price, high end digicams produce images comparable to 35mm film of equal ISO while DSLRs produce much cleaner images as do medium format roll film cameras. The difference is that we have lost some of the flexibility of the SLR camera but gained some specific digicam characteristics such as fast zooms and video recording.

The tendency is to compare these digicams to DSLRs, but this is not a fair comparison, comparing a Nikon F5 to a Hasselblad would give similar results, the Hassy would produce cleaner images with far more enlargement potential while the Nikon offered far more portability at the expense of some image quality. (Does this sound familiar yet?)

Yes, EVF viewfinders do not offer the speed and accuracy of a true optical reflex view, and high ISO with the small sensors will always produce images which are either noisy or lack detail, but at any level over 6MP there is plenty of image information to produce large prints which will look great.

Barring any actual issues with the S9000, which we will not know until we get some actual in-depth reviews, we are left with this choice. If you can afford a DSLR and the accessories needed to reproduce the functionality of the S9000 then by it and get a nice big sturdy camera bag. You will take great pictures. If you can only afford the DSLR body (or budget kit with basic lens) then maybe you are better off with the S9000, and Oh yes, buy a small bag to protect it while carrying. You will take great pictures. Yes there are some people who will need a DSLR to take the pictures they want to take, but they are only a few who have special photographic interests, and of course if you work at photography for a living you need the best tools you can afford.

I take these early postings with a grain of salt, there is not enough information given to assess the situation, and I find that the first postings by owners usually fall into the glowing praise or abject disillusionment categories since many are just so glad while others expected the world. I will wait until there are reviews by reviewers that I can trust, like Steve's Digicams of course.

Cognitive dissonance, the psychological defense mechanism which helps us to come to terms with our decisions and accept them, seems to run in reverse with some people and they spend one day looking for flaws and then send it back to the store, these people are also called fickle.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:19 PM   #146

Hey Ira,

It almost sounds as if you are trying to convince yourself one way or the other.:lol: Now, I realize that I am a step or two below you, because my main camera is the 5100. My son-in-law gave me some raw images that he took with his Nikon D70, and I was beside myself with angry envy for a couple of days. I would love to have a camera like his. But I cannot justify the expense. I eventually started shooting some more images with my 5100, and realized that I can still get a lot of satisfaction from my work if I just take the time to finish my images using Photoshop. I would like to have a better, higher megapixel, more featured, more to brag about camera, but what I have will really do a pretty good job as long as I realize its limitations and shoot accordingly. This "brag about" syndrome I mentioned is really more real than one might suspect. Take the case of my son-in-law. He and his family are moving to Panama for a couple of years. He justified buying that Nikon because he really needed a good camera to get pictures while he's down there. But he also said, "Besides, I think it looks cool to carry around a Nikon digital SLR." I'm too old, and there ain't no way I can look cool. The 9000 is still on my list, but not in the immediate future. Maybe I will have to wait till they start offering close out rebates like I did on the 5100.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:39 PM   #147

jphess, try to convince your son-in-law dSLRs are old-fashioned and for geeks and that big camera bags look like ladies' handbags

It will save you from a costly upgrade :idea:
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:41 PM   #148

for me it's a huge step forward, I like the S9500 also for it's features, not just the megapixels. The camera I have now is fully automatic, with huge DOF. So not much to play with, simple point and shoot really.
What I noticed from the samples of the S9500 is the very short DOF that is possible.
Also it sometimes looks like corners are blurred in some pics indicating a bad lens or so. But the DOF in those pics was quite short. So it was not the lens at all.
check out the hungarian link I mentioned (last link i posted), great samples!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:04 PM   #149

Hey guys, I agree completely. There has always been "camera jewelry" owned by posers who just know that the name "Nikon" or "Leica" are cool and look rich, like Rolex watches or BMWs. I like the S9000 because I have had very positive experiences with Fuji digital cameras, and I am a film SLR user (Pentax and Minolta, only semi-cool) so I like the improvements thay have made in handling. The only limitation I see with this camera (other than the EVF) is that small sensor cameras make it difficult to selectively focus because they have huge DOF.

I guess it is just that I have read so many forum comments such as "...just opened the box and this camera is crap...", from people who often do not even take the time to read the manual. Let's wait untill a real review hits the net, or a magazine, or someone here with the patience to do it right actually tries one out.

Ira

BTW, Nikon, Leica, Rolex and BMW build great products which I feel are wasted on those who treat them as "personality enhancements", however products with far more modest names offer equal results in all of these categories.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:45 PM   #150

Hey im new to this forum and ive been wanting a new camera ever since my first 3800...

ive used it to its full capacity and used telephoto and wide angle lens.

now im comparing an s7000 with the s9000

i was wondering if there are any places or websites where u can purchase s9000 accessories like a fisheye lens, tele.., etc

roastlechon is offline   Reply With Quote