Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:01 AM   #171

Hi JP, Dont know if this link will be of any help to you since I'm fairly RAW illiterate at this stage - but it seems it might be http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14975108

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:48 AM   #172

Hi IRA Youre so right. I think most fotacs are at the edge here. This is the point when you gotta choose. 9000 or DSLR. I have a 300d and 3 lenses.2 s7000s and now the 9000/9500. I have had Canon pro1 (goodish)& nikon 8800 (rubbish).At age 73 I still love fotografy Take yesterday (FRI) fonecall from a PAL, "my gran-dorters getting married and the fotac has not turned up.HELP:OWot did I grab. The 9000, very nawty, an untried camera. Wot the hell I had a wedding of my own to do Sat. Now's the time to jump into the deep end with the 9000. Can't use the flash in Church during the sevice. Hey man who's got a 1600 ISO camera.ME!!!! Up in the choir stalls Camera, tripod 800 iso is enough. Signing the register. Trip down the aisle. My trusty Cobra 700af did the job,I use it manually. WOT!!! can I say. The same I said about the 7000s. I wish the hell I'd had these cameras 30 yrs ago. The guy doing the next wedding was using those rolls of shiny stuff in his camera, WOT did you call that stuff? For a moment or two I watched him fumble with various lenses on his 6mm SLR. That evening, occasionally sipping ata whiskeyI churned out dozens of A4s. I'd taken 200 shots, all just right as regards colour, brightness, sharpness. 80 keepers. The others, because of the IDIOT behind the camera, were junked. I picked 5 to A3. Brilliant. If I was a working PRO again. A brace of 9000, would do me fine. That zoom WOWMore to follow.
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 2:30 AM   #173

Hi everyone.....It's me agin. I always used RAW with my 7000sat weddings Can't with the 9000 until someone, ADOBE? comes up with a decent converter.THE Shadow/highlight thingy in Photoshop CS .Anyone gotta quick tutorial on how to use it. I relied on CS RAW to convert my 7000 raw files JUst a qwicky. SO easy to change the quality, iso and colour in the 9000. Just press the "F" and you're there.Someone mentioned blank screen thingy. You mean like you get in the film SLR and DSLR when the pentaprism jumps up, can't say I ever, in all my years, noticed it. Not being a PIXELPEEPER things like that don't bother rme as long as it don't get between me and my next shot. So far, one wedding, another today. Round about the open air market. I can say the 9000 is a superior s7000, MInoltaA2 (af problems) Canon pro1 (high noise beyond 50 iso) Nikon 8800 (just awful), The 9000 ZOOM is awsome. Better than the Minolta A2, and that was the best of the 8mp digicams.NOW LET'S GET TO THE NOISE. In the church, camera , tripod, 800 iso. Back home. on screen some noise. Nothing to scream about. Just try 400asa colour flim. You can walk thro' the grain. A quick pass thro' NEAT image. GONE. A3 smooth noise free and no artifacts, whatever they are. I keep mentioning the zoom. It's just like using a film SLR, so smooth. Just like my Canons (FILM) Zoom press shutter the AF kicks in shot taken. Move on. Just thort. going to take a shot with my 7000 200iso 12mp & same shot with 9000 at 200iso fine. I'm off. Isn't life exciting
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:24 AM   #174

Thanks Carlton for your reports. THIS is what we want! Reports from people that use the camera in field and sharing their experiences with it!
And from Carlton's postings I'm getting more sure that I did the right descision in ordering this camera! What I want in a camera (amongst other things) is speed, so that a moment can be registered on memorycard and does not pass while I'm fooling around with my cam to get it focussed, zoomed or ready for a shot. Because making photo's is not just making nice portraits, or making pics of landscapes, sunrises etc. Photography can be an art, but it's also about catching the moment, because some moments never will return after they've been...! If you got an eye for that, and the right equipment, you'll be able to make great pics.

PS Great to read that someone like Carlton, at age 73, does not sit at home behind a window but still finds a way to enjoy the autumn of his life! Keep it up Carlton!

PPS can you share some of your pix with us?

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:40 AM   #175

Carlton, you refer to the Nikon 8800 as "rubbish" and "just aweful", with it being on my list of potentials I would really respect your (and anyone else's) reasons for this. I have read reviews on many forums that have raved the 8800 and hailed it as the best "allrounder", especially on this forum. Please can anyone help me coz i'm in the balance!

Many thanx

ben
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:21 AM   #176

Just dropped by the local retailer and got to try out the S9000.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 6:59 AM   #177

Carlton

Sorry if this seems to be hijacking this thread but I have a question.

I would also like to hear what you found to be the problems with the Nikon 8800, I have no intention of buying one but I am interested in what an experienced user would find so objectionable about it. In my reading (I have used a 5700 but never an 8800) it seems that slow autofocus, slow write times and the digicam control layout were the weakest points, any comments? If you feel this is inappropriate in a Fuji forum then please PM me.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:39 AM   #178

Hey everyone, if it seems like I am always here, sorry. This is the photographic doldrums for me, I have already done my annual wedding:-), school has started so I am back to work, summer is winding down so it is no longer beaconing with photo ops, autumn colour is still a month away and I am just mounting and matting prints for a fall craft fair (closest thing to a fine art show available in a town of 10000 See examples at http://aicphotography.tripod.com/index.htm, this is not yet a commercial site so I am not advertising a product yet, just letting you guys see the type of work my wife Annette and I do).So right nowI am a little bored and restless.

In future I will attempt to reduce my ramblings and stick to the topic, and speaking of that, Nicholas has confirmed the weakness in the S9000, blank screens during flash cycling. I believe that this is a common ailment of many EVF cameras so my suggestion is simple, get a reliable non-dedicated external flash unit and set the camera on manual. The exposure accuracy may not be as consistent as the internal flash (using the camera's metering) is capable of but the blank screen problem, is solved. With my S7000 I use a small Vivitar flash which I always have in the bag (not much more power than the built in) and a 285 with handle mount and remote sensor for when I need to light a big room (weddings etc). So if the other features of this camera still appeal to you, this is a path you can take. BTW a small automatic flash is still available for less than $40.

Hope there are not too many people disappointed by this news.

I still want one.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 8:33 AM   #179

Proton where did you order your Fuji :? I'm also from the Netherlands and can't wait to get one. What memory card you are going to use, xd or CF II ?
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:21 AM   #180

I ordered mine from http://www.koopdigitaal.nl (the shop is called Konijnenbeld, cheap and good service I heard). The shop is in "Den Ham", a small village near "Ommen", I live in Zwolle which is not far from there so I will drive there to get my camera (hopefully 1 week from now) and buy the nessasary extras like a camerabag and a belt to hang the camera around my neck. I have decided to buy a 1Gb CFII card.
PS they also can send you the camera by post. They do that a lot.

PS copy and past the link, clicking it does not seem to work??:?
proton is offline   Reply With Quote