Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:30 AM   #181

Thanks Proton, Idiscoverd that shop as well, only a week ago the price was 579 euro. As far i can see its the cheapest shop in Holland (according to tweakers.net). Probably I'm going to order there as well.
Is there a good site where you can compare the speed of different memory cards ?
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 2:11 PM   #182

Him Ben....Maybe I was expecting too much from the 8800 after reading all the "EXPERT" views. 1st off that rocker switch for zooming. And the AF well it just was not right. To tell you true Ben It didn't feel right. The first time I handled the Minolta A2 I thought this is for me. And it was except for that awful AF. You must have heard about it in all the forums. I had three of those cameras and not one had a decent AF. It's like the 7000 , a great,great camera ruined by the 200iso. Now Fuji has addressed that point, and many more, with the 9000. When I lifted the 9000 out of its nest it was like coming home, it felt like a camera, and I whispered a silent prayer that it wasn't fools gold. It's not GOLD, it's DIAMONDS. I can't praise the zoom enough and the speed at which the camera starts-up. Handling this camera makes one realize what one has been missing since the advent of digital. This camera is going to be the one that stops a lot of people turning to the DSLR. This camera looks and handles like a DSLR. AndI have mentioned I am the owner of a 300d with lenses, WELL!!!! the 9000 beats the heck out of it. Let me put it this way. I now have a camera which looks and acts like a DSLR without all the hassle of extra lenses and the cleaning of the cmos.Oh! and just in case you're interested the Wedding this afternoon went a breeze. I took one of my 7000s along with my Cobra flashgun attached. When I needed flash I placed the 9000 aside and used the 7000. Having the 9000 on a tripod made me feel like a true PRO again. GOTTA GO
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:21 PM   #183

Hi,

Just joined the forum, I have a Fuji S7000. Today, I have ordered the S9500, should get sometime on Tuesday. I have been reading some of the comments on the forum. I will post my comments when I receive it and get a chance to test it out.

Mr.Jingles.
Mr.Jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:40 PM   #184

Hi Mr jingles.......Hey are you in for great joy. Just downloaded a head and shoulders portrait of a sexy lookin' Sheila. Taken window light at the wedding 1600 iso.

Okay some noise about the same as the 300d. Quick pass thro' neat image. A4 print beautiful. My wife, who is my greatest critic said, "find that girl, there's an offer, and give her that portrait she'll be over the moon. Gosh I'm good:?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:30 PM   #185

Carlton

Do you use the Canon 300D at all anymore?? You are making me seriously consider forgetting about a DSLR and getting an S9000 (with my current S7000 as a backup). I am not a pro but I do an occasional wedding or portrait job. Up until last year I have used a Yashica D (medium format TLR), a number of Pentax cameras (2 K1000s, a KX, an ME-Super and an MZ-7) and later a Minolta 7000 with a 5000 as a backup. I think I have had my fill of changing lenses, I never felt as relaxed shooting a wedding as I did with the Fuji S7000, no longer tethered to a big heavy bag of lenses, just fill your pockets with spare batteries and a memory card wallet, pop on the Vivitar 285 and go at it.

There is no doubt that a good SLR viewfinder is a joy to work with but I have adapted quite well to the S7000 and it sounds like the S9000 will be an even bigger treat. I have already posted where to find samples of my work so I would appreciate any comments.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:49 AM   #186

Hi Ira...My goodness you're bringing back memories. I too used Yashica TLRs in the old B&W days. And the Pentax ME super. That was the camera that converted me to 35mm. The same thing has happened now. I bought my Canon 300d after buying my 7000s. Thinking, as we do, gotta have the best, 6x6 beats 35mm. BIG mistake. Side by side A3 prints from 300d & 7000. I asked, in the beginning, lots of fotacs to choose the best (not the camera the best)each hummed and aahed, some picked most said no difference. I did about the same amount of post processing on prints from either camera. NO!!! Ira I don't use 300d, and now I have the 9000 I can't think of any CONCEiVABLE (that's spelt rong I'm sure) moment that I will need to ( Oh my goodness my English is getting worse) My Wife is aretired University Tutor. She'd rap my knuckles with a ruler if she red this lot. MY OFFICE is VERBOTAN to females. MCP to the core, that's me. NO!!! i won't apologise to any females (note the small "f") out there. I'm here, you're there. I'm safe. And I'm a full blooded paid-up COWARD. SO THERE. GOD I'm brilliant sometimes. Hey I forgot to tell you sometime ago my Dentist, he's a friend, offered me a complete NEW set of Crowns in exchange for my CANON outfit. He knew I wasn't overly pleased with it. I think I'll go for that. So the next time you see a little sun-wrinkled 73 yr old HERO on a bike with flashing white teeth, whip out you 9000 and grab a shot, IT'S ME. Bye for nowHey how do I add fotos to this lot. Gotta go. Got the beds to make and the hoovering and----------------
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:51 AM   #187

Ira i think you will be joyfully suprised at the 9000 viewfider
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:15 PM   #188

Hi -----Does the LE Raw converter, bundled with Fuji 9000, do anything more than just convert it to Tiff or Jpeg . Adobe photoshop CS raw converter is my favourite. I hope it's not too long before they shape up and give us a download. Nothing doing with Rawconverter either at the moment.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:25 PM   #189

Carlton

I am still torn between the S9000 and the Pentax *istDL (or DS if the price is right). I do get good results from the S7000 but I have only recently experimented with RAW format (shot at 6MP most of the time in order to get more shots on the memory card, and because some reviewers were saying that the interpolated 12MP files, even RAW, were no better than the 6MP files). Did you find a big difference shooting in RAW instead of jpeg? I haven't done enough yet to really make any conclusion.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:45 AM   #190

Good morning Ira.......I liked RAW because digital gave me something that film never could, CONTROL of highlights. Wedding-wise you ,NOW, never , with Digital have burnt-out highlights in the brides dress. In the old days of B&W you never, never ever saw a Bridal Gown with burnt out higjlights. Over expose and under-develope was the order of the day. Colour was another matter. One had to really contol exposure with fill-in flash etc. A bright cloudy day was a Wedding photographers delight . I've shied away from DSLRs because of the weight, bulk and that lens changing. I know for a fact to get a really good DSLR outfit, you really have to spend a lot of money. The lenses which are bundled with DSLRs are, to put it bluntly, CRAP. I've been along that route and now I have the 9500 I'm settled. For me it's a brilliant camera. The start-up is instant. The AF bang-on. The zoom brilliant. And the end result, A4/A5 prints well it beats the 300d. The one thing that really got up my nose with the DSLR was having to clean the CMOS, OFTEN. Having been on a lot of forums about CMOS dust it would appear the static electricity has a lot to do with it.. If your local camera store has the 9500 in stock go see and handle one. I f you do pick a DSLR keep in touch with the wise ones, and let us know how you get on. One thought IRA if you buy the 9500 and don't like, sell, you'll not lose that much. If you do it with a DSLR, you could lose a packet. The choice is yours my boy, go for it. Wait awhile anyway for more guys like me who'll be able to give you more info.