Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:40 AM   #191

Ira another thing beautiful day decided to try out the macro. Close as you wish. Really great. ANOTHER THING THIS IS THE FIRST DIGITAL CAMERA I HAVE EVER USED THE IN CAMERA SHARPENING. I have tried it other cameras but never been best pleased. I tried sharpening in the 9500, it has 3 levels, iused the top level, BRILL. No artifacts what-so-ever... The way I'm trying to convince you about the 9500, one wouldthink I'm letting the two million shares I own in FUJI fudge my viewpoint.
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:21 AM   #192

Hi------Just worked something out. Since having my 9500 I've belted out close on a 1500 shots. Half were tri-outs the other half wedding shots. The 1st wedding was a gift. The second I made about £250 clear after buying albums sleeves paper and ink. Not bad foir a mornings work and a couple of hours at the computor. Now if I had been conventional and used film my costs would have gone thu' the ceiling as rgards prints. First film 10 Rolls and the pro house for my prints. With digital I get the prints I WANT. not what the pro house thinks.
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:42 AM   #193

I just got a mail message from the local store. The s9500 stock is arriving at Fuji Holland this week.
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:06 PM   #194

Carlton

People are going to accuse us of hijacking this thread, maybe this forum needs a general gab session area. You really are pushing this camera aren't you, but it was your macro comment that really got me. I have never owned a real macro lens, just those "macro" zooms that are really just close focusing lenses. With its small sensor and close focus lens my S7000 produces pictures I could never get with film. I think that digital cameras have given us anew definition of macro, in film days it was anything that got near a 1:1 image on the negative, now we need to think in terms of 300dpi print size. My camera at 12MP produces a 10" X 13" print and my lens allows me to cover about 25% of the screen with a small flower or large bug. The result is far more potential than the 1:5 ratio lenses I am used to. I guess a DSLR would produce similar results but I would need at least one of the 8MP models to match the image of the S7000 (in good light). Since my lenses are older Pentax and Minolta Maxxum I don't have that option at the moment. Thus the macro capability of the S9000 are very appealing. I think it may have been Mike Johnston who once observed that it is macro photographers who complain the least and have the greatest satisfaction from this hobby.

Well maybe we should start using pms instead of conversing here

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:29 PM   #195

No, you can stay Mr teacher. We will let you know anyway if you are too long...
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:48 PM   #196

Hi. Just joined. Been following this forum for a while. Ira and Carlton, your comments are very helpful. I was considering an 8800 before reading about s9500 but have definately made up my mind to buy the Fuji, especially after Carlton's wedding comments. Keep up the good work!

Chris

wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:41 PM   #197

I went to a local shop to look at the S9500 after reading all the positive comments in this thread. My thoughts are that it is generally a good camera, but there was one thing that turned me off it - the evf. I have had compacts for several years since getting rid of my film slr and have usually used the lcd on the back for framing shots. I found the evf to be grainy/pixellated and hard for my eyes to define any fine detail or point of focus, especially as I want to do closeup as part of my photography.

The result was that I left with my other choice, the KM 5D dslr. It has a massively better viewfinder, together with antishake. The kit lens zoom range is not as great (18-70 or 27-105 35mm equiv), but I have the choice to fit an 18-200 zoom at some stage or a macro lens for real closeup photography. The 5D and lens is the same size as the S9500, albeit a little heavier. As for cost, it was only £90 more, less if you consider that I would have had to buy AA rechargeables and a charger.

This isn't a pro KM rant, I actually went to the shop with the Fuji as my first choice, but was very disappointed with the EVF quality as stated above.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 3:56 PM   #198

The camera you purchased will obviously have a better viewfinder because, since it is a true SLR, it uses a mirror rather than an electronic viewfinder. I guess it boils down to what you have become accustomed to and what you can tolerate. The EVF on my 5100 isn't all that great either. But I only rely on it for composition primarily, because I most often use the automatic focus. Personally, what shows up in the EVF isn't really all that critical. It's the final picture or print that matters to me. But, then again, I'm not a professional photographer. And I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:13 PM   #199

what wonders me still is the fact that the small EVF has much more pixels than the LCD screen on the back of the cam! How can an EVF have twice the pixels of the much larger LCD? And with so much pixels on such a small surface, how can it be grainy then?:?
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:40 PM   #200

My experience has been that trying to get compact camera AF to work reliably with small insects in macro mode is usually a waste of time, and the S9500 in the shop didn't seem too obliging either. This means that I would have to resort to MF and with a very short dof and the evf, this was a pretty fruitless task. This is just how I found it on that particular S9500.

As for the graniness, I was surprised that it was so poor but never having seen an evf before, I don't have anything except an optical viewfinder to compare it with. I would rather not have gone slr for various reasons including cost, but visit to the camera shop showed that I won't get what I want from anything else. Had closeup not been an interest, I may have been happy with it.

n.b even though the evf is physically much smaller than the lcd on the back, it fills your field of vision whereas the lcd takes up a much smaller part of it, so the image of each evf pixel takes up a much greater area of your retina than those of the lcd and thus appears to be bigger. Hold your eye really close to the lcd and you will get the same effect. I may be wrong, but didn't the KM A1 have 1 million pixels in it's evf which seems to be a much better number.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote