Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:08 PM   #201

Ira & Carlton:

Just keep on posting...we novices learn more about photography just by reading your posts...make it private and you will have some mighty angry folks on these sites...:-):-):-):-):-)

After posting in numerous other sites, I almost decided on a Pentax dSLR *istDS2, but now with the S9500, the R1 Sony, and the Samsung 815, life is certainly getting interesting...give it another 2-4 weeks, we may see replacements for A200, CP8800, and Oly 8080...Xmas will be something to look forward to...:-):-):-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:48 PM   #202

ikki, every macro I have shot with the S7000 has had spot on focusing and I have only used autofocusing. I will say I have not really used any other digital camera's macro mode to compare to
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 1:31 AM   #203

Sorry it's me again. As regards macro with the 9500. Sun's up soon. It's going to be a great day. After brekkers I'm into the garden to test the 9500 macro on the flowerheads. I'm not a macro man, apart from the usual close-up of the BRIDE & GROOM's wedding rings. I know, I know it's dead mushy, but I'm an old Buzzard and if the couple want ROMANTIC shots they can have 'em by the bucket load. Non of that BRIDE naked in the Bath nonsense THO'. If you believe that go jump back into your coffin. I'm really pleased that my ramblings might just help one or two folks. The bill's in the post. Two things I wish to know, how on earth do I show my photos to you, and who is this fat LADy who is always singing at the end of the show. She's doing it now. Catch you later. Will relate how I get on with macro.
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:01 AM   #204

Hey guys,Great thread so far, like Marsha I'm going to wait until more info comes along, probably after the first of the year before I make a decision. Thanks everyone for the great info so far, I'm learning things I didn't know anything about¬* like the dust problems on the dslr cams. So I'm trying to stay away from those.¬*Carlton, do you have a account at Photo.net? It's a great place to post some photos. Would love to see a few!¬*¬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/laughing-smiley-002.gif[/img]You can see a few of mine at:¬*http://www.photo.net/shared/communit...ser_id=1779309¬*Sorry guys, no S9000 pics yet
Strackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:10 PM   #205

I use a Fuji S7000 as well, it is a camera that many reviewers slammed for its high image noise. I have attached a 100% crop from an ISO-800 image shot on AUTO at a car show last night (auto white balance, 3MP). I do not find this noise objectionable in small prints, and Neat Image and Noiseware both clean the image up nicely (but this crop is totally unprocessed after leaving the camera except for additional compression for web use).

If the S9000 is noticeably better then this it will suit me just fine.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:13 PM   #206

Here is the same image after level adjustment, sharpening and a run through Noiseware.

Ira

Ooops may have overdone the sharpening a little :-) Remember that this is a 100% crop and a real 300dpi print would be much nicer.
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:23 PM   #207

Ira,

That is a very eye-catching image by itself. But the problem is (I think) that our eyes and our brain work together to help us see what we want to see. I recently worked on some images from my son-in-law's Nikon D70. And when I zoomed them to 100 percent I was blown away by the clarity of the images. Now I'm not advocating switching to Nikon because I have looked at some of the new Fuji 9000 images at 100 percent magnification in Photoshop, and they are crystal clear. I don't know how to explain it, but it is a difference that you will recognize when you see it.

Jim
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 4:17 PM   #208

jphess

Remember that this is at 800 ISO on a camera which is considered noisy. Compare this to high ISO images from a camera like the Sony F-828 (which gets really messy by ISO 400, to the point of losing detail). I have seen ISO 3200 images from a Canon 20d and they are about comparable to my S7000's 800, I consider that pretty good. My point is just that these images are not objectionable as snapshots, and converted to B&W they have a nice "grain" pattern that adds character to the image.

Here is the whole car for those who are interested:

www.targanewfoundland.com
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:35 PM   #209

Hello Ira,

I would like to see your adjusted image without the sharpening.

Have a hunch it will look better without the sharpening artifacts ( along the edges of the grill). Nice shot which I bet will print very nicely.

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:48 PM   #210

Nicholas:

Here it is, just adjusted with some very mild sharpening.

One more thing, last night and tonight, at the Targa Newfoundland car shows here in Gander, I saw a number of photogs with DSLRs from Canon Rebels to Fuji S2 to Canon D1* models. I know that there images would be cleaner than mine but the struggle of lugging around these heavy cameras was evident in some of their faces and body language. I strolled around with my S7000 around my neck, a light duty monopod clipped to my belt and a memory card/spare battery wallet in my pocket (which I didn't really need). I don't know if I want to work that hard anymore for a picture. The S9000 is looking better every day.

Attached Images