Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:09 PM   #211

Here is a better example of what the S7000 is capable of, this is a downsized 12MP file at ISO-400, hand held at 1/18s at full zoom (47mm), so I hope you will forgive any perceived lack of sharpness for my shakey hands. I imagine the 400 ISO images from the S9000 would be even cleaner.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:53 PM   #212

Ira, those photos bring back fond memories...I do not know the exact model year of your photo, but back in the 60s my father, an auto machinist, obtained a 1952 MG-TD, with the long hood, chrome luggage rack...he pulled out the 4 cyl stock engine and replaced it with, what was for that car a HP engine in those years, a 200 HP straight six Ford engine...the car would fly with all that power under the hood...he had ALL the chrome re-chromed (also the wire wheels), painted the car in red metal flake paint with 13 coats of lacquer...most beautiful vehicle I have ever seen to this date...new walnut dash...never needed heat in the NY winter because the bell housing off the engine (I do not know if you are car buff, so forgive my ramblings) was only 3-4 inches from where your feet sat in the front, because the 6 cyl engine was so much longer then the measly MG 4 cyl stock engine...he sold it just before I started dating (damn, damn, damn,...the finest chick magnet in its day) because the main body was made, not of metal, but of teakwood and it was rotting...whenever I see a photo like yours, with the MG chrome ring on the front of the hood, I can sit back and remember being the passenger on the Thruway while Dad drove, top down, wind in my hair...thanks...

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:10 PM   #213

Bob

Check out http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=62 for more Targa pictures (and to move this discussion out of the Fuji S9000 thread).

See you there.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 10:28 PM   #214

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and it has been a long time since I have done any 'real' photgraphy. I have been using a dig compact to take snapshots but I am now the proud owner of a S9500. So back into the fray I go.

I would like to ask other S9000/9500 owners about the autofocus. I don't know if is just me or possibly a flaw with my camera. How noisy is the autofocus when you use the autofocus? Mine sounds 'clicky' or maybe better described as a series of rachet sounds. It is not over loud but wondering if others have silent autofocus or if it is something I should have checked out.

BTW, thanks to all the people posting in this thread as I have been keeping an eye on it since I planned on getting the S9500. Then I took the big leap. And it was a big leap from a 2.1MP compact to 9MP SLR-like digicam.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:00 AM   #215

So the S9000/S9500 looks good even after 11 pages of this forum thread :blah:

I do have a questions guys, maybe one of the happy S9000 owners can say something about it. I have a Oly C770 UZ and I consider it to be a good DigiCam because it gave me loads of great pictures - and I am still learning how to get the best out of it. However there are some things I don't like and so I am always interested in news about new cams.

So far, the S9000 has everything my Oly has (in the means of resolution, movie capability, zoom and stuff) or is better. Only drawback is the AVI movie mode because I can record like 15 mins or so on a 256MB card, 640x480at 30fps and I think AVI has much lower compression, BUT I also feel it has better quality than MPEG4.

Now for the real questions.

How fast does the S9000 starts? I mean - you see something you want to get a picture from, grab the cam, press POWER ON and how long do you have to wait till you can do the CLICK?

AF in medium and low light. My Oly is bad at it. Any experience with it? How bad / good is it when using the full zoom? (at full zoom - that something like 360mm for me - a cloudy day can make taking photos a challenge just because the AF at the Oly) Can you lock AF on a moving object in med/low light at full zoom? Imagine your kids play in the shodowy regions of the garden just before you call for dinner on the weekend. Maybe a late BBQ - sunset time or so. Can you grab AF at full zoom with the moving kids? I don't mean running... just moving her bodies, shaking hands, head and stuff.

Fast Moving Objects. Do you have a "followAF" function? On my Minolta SLR (analog) when I press the shutter half in sports mode the AF follows continuously the moving object. Fast enough to get it only somewhat blurred or even sharp. How does the S9000 perform? My Oly is bad at it. I usually try for a wide DOF range and MF in these situations with the OLY or do a half-pressed-shutter pre-focus shot.

Continous shooting. I once had a F700 from Fuji and it has that final-3 and some other cont. modes. What is it like at the S9000? What I need is a burst(my Oly does 5) with high speed (sports, movement, get-the-moment) which can be without following AF, and a continuous AF-CLICK-AF-CLICK-AF-CLICK thingie and now it comes: WITH adjusting the exposure! My Oly adjusts AF, but not the exposure which makes me everytime.

How fast from one pic to the next? It has lots of pixels, the S9000, and I think that means saving and postprocessing in the cam needs time. When is the cam ready for a next shot in highest resolution? Can you activate a 5mp mode or so and does that speed up things?

Background: I like to "capture moments". I see something happen and just want to get it. A certain pattern of light by the sun and clouds, a special scene with people doing something, animals & nature shots and stuff. Just think of a birthday or a wedding. You know - there are these "cheese" photos. Everybody lines up for a shot and that's it. Ok - you need these. But what I am after are these little things that happen - a glass of wine that fell down and all the dance has to stop for the cleaning. The moment where the bride catched the ball the children found and played with and tried to shoot back. You know - all these little things you remember the next year : "oh yes - right - there was this glass of wine - and look here! ... this and that..." So I need a reliable and ready ("awake") cam. Sorry if this sounds confusing, can't put it into words better.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:40 AM   #216

I don't have the camera yet, but the adverts say that you can indeed use continuous AF, startup is fast! 0.8 seconds, 0.01 seconds shutter lag!

From Carlton's messages it seems like a fast cam, though viewing pics which you took already seems kinda slow (source:dpreview forum).

From what I've read, the AF is fast and good, but bit less at full zoom range. I myselfs too are looking for the things you also want in a cam, fast action so that you can make pix of those short little moments that pass very quickly. From what I've read sofar this camera does it all. I hope it arrives at the shop this week! Can hardly wait!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:16 AM   #217

Shadow,

I have a S9500 - I dont really notice the noise it makes when auto-focusing....

I did hear it last night whilst playing with it in the garden taking pictures of the stars....

I didn't think it sounded 'loud' or 'odd'.

I have a set of 2500Mah rechargables in it and find that the flash charges very quickly indeed.

I do notice a delay (1 - 2 seconds) between viewing photos when you are scrolling through. Not a big problem to me as I usually use the view that lets you see multiple pictures on the screen and scroll the 'mini' pics.

If anybody wants me to try something out for them before they buy it, just PM me and I will be happy to share my results!

Regards,

Sin

Sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:49 AM   #218

Thanks for your observation sintax.

The noise whilst using auto foucus is not overly loud, more like different to what I am used to. When I was photographer for the newspapers we only had manual cameras, digital was a pipedream. So the noise I am hearing is possibly normal, just wanted opinions and observations from other owners.

Likewise if there is anything I can do for anyone wanting the inside scoop on the S9X00, PM me and I will do my best to assist.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 8:30 AM   #219

Sintax! Can you take pictures of the stars?? I though with 30 secs max. exposure that would not be possible? Which settings did you use? How were the results?

I used to make star pix with my old SLR (Fujica, manual model) and once used a massive 120 minutes exposure time :G
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:00 AM   #220

Hi Sintax / Shadow,

If you get the chance,would you mind trying out the super-macro and commenton the manual focus. Would appreciate it, thanks.

Steve
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote