Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:33 PM   #221

Hi it's me again The latest s7RAW has been updated, and now opens the 9500 RAW files. Really I've never taken to s7raw, I always used PSCS raw. Never failed me. I've decided to stick with JPEG until Photoshop updates. For the time being i'm going the KEN ROCKWELL route. You know he's pretty well right about JPEG and letting the camera do all the work. This afternoon I was out and about and was most careful about my exposures. I under exposed by half a stop. Saturation normal. Sharpeness set at high, give it a go I thought A few minutes jiggery, pokery in Photoshop gave me some great shots. My jiggery pokery is raise the hightlights until short of burn-out, ring them with the marching ants. Then modify/expand by 1, feather by 0.5. Then bring up the rest of the foto to match.Then to give your work of genius that bang Unsharp mask :-Amount 10/15, Radius 50/100 Threshold 0. It works everytime. RAWSHOOTER is another good converter, but not for the 9000 as yet. I bet they upgrade before photoshop. If I could get hold of a good tutorial for s7RAW I just might give it a go. ANYONE know of one.........
carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 1:57 PM   #222

Hi jphess....I too am over the moon with the END RESULTS (PRINTS) from the 9500. They seem to have that snap which my 300d lacks. It's good sometimes to see fotos from different cameras. Makes you wonder about some of these so called experts. To repeat myself. The 9500 is the best digital camera I have ever held. I'm staying with it. The startup is so fast you miss nothing.....If your reading this IRA I've sold my 300d and lenses for £850 today. That's a weight of my back. One small camera bag containg one 9500, two sets of spare batteries, 5 1g cards. One Banana sandwiche and I'm game. The way to travel. When I think of the messing about with lenses, and the endless cleaning of the CMOS. Last year I was in EGYPT for 3 weeks. I took the 300d and lenses and my trusty s7000. It was hot and I walked everwhere. After the first dayI chucked the 300d and relied on my s7000. Came home with some great shots, which would have been better if I'd had the 9500. Oh dear!!!! The 19 yr old, long legged, high breasted blondeSWEDISH model next door, is stripped to the waist inher back garden shouting, "CARLTON," come take my photograph. Can a man get no rest. NOW THERE'S A TIDY BIT OF BAD ENGLISH. I do this to keep you YANKEEs on your toes. YE GODS, WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE.GGGGGGGOOD FFFFFFFFOLKS:blah:
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:07 PM   #223

Hi MARSHA7------Your name denotes you areLady. If you're not I'm in deep trouble. If my meanderings sometimes seem offensive, I do apologise. I do tend to let my peanut size brain run amok occasions. I don't wish to offend any ladies on this site. I can say what I like to the guys, I'm far away in a MENTAL thingy so no one can get at me. Well must go have my medication, I can feel the red mist coming down. From CARLTON in a straitjacket somewhere in ENGLAND..
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:54 PM   #224

Carlton

Don't worry about it, Marsha7's name is Bob!!!

I think you have me sold, I am not a big fan of lugging around alot of excess weight, and the more I use the S7000 the more I realize what it can do. The S9000 has the specs I want and glowing praise froma very experienced photographer so, unless there is some unfortunate revelation in the interim, right now the S9000 is back at the top of my list. Now leave that Swedish model alone and go play with your camera

Regarding cameras, as an amateur who must spend his own money on this hobby I find that film is just too expensive. I prefer film to digital in many ways, such as absolute image quality (look around and you will find that it would take something like a 22MP camera to match a good quality 35mm film). But honestly, I will rarely venture beyond 8" X 10" prints, so absolute image quality is not an issue. I am now on the digital path because it has allowed me to shoot like a professional, lots and lots of exposure to get one keeper. As Mike Johnston said in his last e-column, most of our pictures suck, whether we are beginners or seasoned pros. It is the occasional time that we get everything right that matters. With film I seldom achieved satisfaction because I seldom could afford to shoot enough film to happen upon that moment, with digital I am seeing it more often because now I shoot 150 exposures where I would have shot 24 to 48 on film. One of my best images in nearly 30 years of photography was taken just last year, with a modest Pentax Optio 33L camera, and I think that was the point where I realized that the absolute quality of my images came second to the ability to capture them in the first place. That day I put away my whole 35mm outfit, it has come out only once since, to shoot a wedding before I got the S7000. Now I am questioning why I even need a DSLR when I am having so much fun with my heavy duty p&s.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:23 PM   #225

Ira-

Thanks for your great post. I can really personaly relate to where you have come from in photography, to your growth and evolution with your cameras, and to your decision to not go the dSLR route. Professionally, I am a digital camera instructor, so yes, I do own a dSLR, because that is part of what I teach. However, I began to rather closely examine my usage of the dSLR.

My examination revealed that when the dSLR was not part of my presentation, I didn't even take it with me. If I went on a trip, I tended (90% of the time) to take the dSLR with just the lens mounted on it, and no other lenses. When I took the dSLR, I always took along a fixed lens digital camera, such as my Olympus C-8080 which I tended to use more than the dSLR on the trip.

After a little study, it wasn't difficult to conclude that, like you, Ira, I didn't want to haul around a lot of gear. Thanks to this thread, I began to be more insightful about what I really liked and used. Clearly, I took more photos with fixed lens digital cameras.

I will keep the dSLR because I need it as a teaching tool to use in my demonstrations, but I will get rid of the extra lenses, all I need is one or possible two lenses at the most. The moment of truth had come. based on my feelings and Carlton's glowing reports, this morning, I pre-ordered a Fuji S-9000, and I feel very good about it.

So at least for me, the thread really produced some very positive clarity, peace of mind, and forward looking planning for the future. So thanks to all for this thread. It has been great.

Sarah Joyce

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:41 PM   #226

Carlton:

Uh, Ira is right, marsha7 is my user ID named after my spouse, whose name, by the way, is Marsha, not 7...my name is Bob...

However, while I am certainly not offended by your comments, and have withheld my own for various reasons, "speaklightly" IS a woman, a rather nice and kind woman (I know from other postings), and she may be offended by your comments...

Thanks for being considerate of what you thought I was, but, as far as I am concerned, you can be as raunchy as you want, within the bounds of the site rules.....:blah::blah::blah::blah:
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:11 PM   #227

SteveDak wrote:
Quote:
Hi Sintax / Shadow,

If you get the chance,would you mind trying out the super-macro and commenton the manual focus. Would appreciate it, thanks.

Steve

The only macro shots I have taken of recent have been coins pics, so it was a challenge when I went outside today and saw some bees (which I just had to try to take pics of.)

And if someone like me can take half decent (it could have been alot worse I suppose) anyone can use this camera for macro work.

In regards to manual focus, I think it will take me a while to get used to it. It does not act in the same way as with SLR cameras. The focus ring continues to turn endlessly, instead of stopping at the end of the focus range. Plus using the magnification whilst focusing looks like a TV with bad reception. But these are things that can be overcome with constant use and familiarity.

Hope that helps in your decision making.

Cheers!

Attached Images

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:29 AM   #228

Sorry I didnt realise that uploading that image was going to do that to the page. :sad:
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:59 AM   #229

Hi Bob---Here's my creds--Age 73--Over 50yrs pro Photographer--Now semi-retired. Let's talk about 35mm film camera's. I owned a photography business but never did in-house processing of colour negs,I used a pro house. Why? I didn't have the time to frig about with chemicals etc, B&W and slides I did. I loved B&W, but colour changed the whole business. Right at this moment, above my desk is pinned a 20x30 print taken of RIPON Cathedral with other ancient buildings and the river in Front. This was shot two days ago on my 9500. The old buildings by the river are white-washed. For years I tried, on a bright sunny day,to get the exposure right with VELVIA slide film. Never made it. Oh! I could get a good shot on a cloudy bright day, but it lacked the ZAP I was looking for. Ishot it on col-neg and instructed the D&P house what to do, but, hey it's not the same. Now Bob please excuse me, but I think you have the wrong approach to DIGITAL Photography. HO!!! so many years when I went to college, 4yrs, to learn photography,I remember clearly the jewel of advice my tutor gave the whole class, "what-ever camera youl use in the future, treat it as a STAND CAMERA." What he meant was, don't bang away hoping to get a good foto. Think about speed/exposure. Last thurs I wandered about the open air market, weather cloudy bright. My 9500 was set up so. 400iso--5.6--lens about 100mm wide open. Now the 9500 is immediate. Switch on. By the time you get it to your eye, it's ready. You won't miss a shot --------TBC
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:20 AM   #230

Hi BOB it's me again.I'm firmly convinced that in the 35mm field DIGITAL has left it trailing even with a camera like the 9500. The pro cameras, we're talking expensive glass here, are the equiv of 6x6 and 6x9 cameras.The beauty, for me, of Digital is the end control. This why I liked B&W. In my previous I mentioned about going around the market, not every shot, tho' it's spot on for colour and exposure, is a keeper. This is the first digicam that I've owned which is as fast stating-up as my late 300d. When I take landscapes, it's tripod time, and I remember the words of my tuor.. Back to 35mm I don't know of a 35mm film camera, and in my long life I've tried them all, that could turn out a print as clear and as sharp as one hanging over my desk. Don't for get it's my print, from taking to finish. No pro-house in between. Okay I'm fortunate I've acess to a large printer. Oh this was taken 80iso JPEG. I like RAW, but apart from s7RAW (which I dislike) there,s no 9500 RAW converter out there. The Fuji LE is a waste of time. Anyway I 'd like to bet that RAWSHOOTER comes up with a download soon.