Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:12 PM   #241

Proton

The dual card slots are common to the higher end Fuji Cameras, the S2 and S602 used CF amd smart media, the S7000, S20, S9X00 and S3 use CF and xD. As you point out, it is a very convenient way to carry extra storage.

Do you still have to use the setup menu to choose this option or is it easier on the S9X00?

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:52 PM   #242

I totally agree with the above post except for a few quibbles. The pictures pointed before were clearly taken by pros with a LOT of LIGHT - which always helps to raise the shutter speed and hence the sharpness. I had seen some S9000 pix before that were totally underwhelming and I had ruled out this camera until I saw these.

I found that lower light and not using a tripod was a problem with my new Nikon 7900 which has some great resolution at 7.1MP.

You can see this yourself, by clicking on the link and I will rush over and note of the picture was taken at dusk or dawn or in shade.

The pix with the 7900 are fabulous in bright light but I also think it is important to train your eye, to learn basic design principles, visit museums, galleries, read photography books, etc. The 'eye' in my opinion is like a muscle and you have to get it into 'shape.'

see http://public.fotki.com/npro/7900

but note that there are great pix taken by 5 and 4 and 3 MP images visible at:

http://public.fotki.com/npro/best_fotos

(I also use a D70 for my model shoots and it is the same thing - the more light the better quality of the image)

http://public.fotki.com/npro/mx (use pw=mix if you are over 18)

-Digital World Photography

npronpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:09 PM   #243

Let's see...I am 52, I have been using Minolta 35mm cameras for many years, but never really got that interested in photography because I always found it annoying to take a roll of 24, get it developed, drive back to the store to get my prints, etc....not that I ever dreamed in the past of such a concept as digital, but it was a love-hate with film photography...love the photos, but the mechanics were a PITA, so I never really became an enthusiast...plus, I never wanted to become one of those who took their vacation behind a viewfinder, someone, who, when asked, "How was your vacation?" would answer, "I don't know yet, wait til my photos are developed and I will find out what I saw"...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have avoided camcorders like the plague...I do not have children, I find the little bastards quite annoying, and do not want movies that I would NEVER look at, even when I am 85...

I have posted on many sites, asking a million questions, about a million cameras in the last six months...oddly enough, it was speaklightly, whose testimony about the Pentax istDS and DS2 (lightweight and AA batts) that almost converted me to buy a dSLR (I now have a Oly C-770 UZ), when the S9000, R1, Samsung 815 came out, plus my supposed anticipated successors to Coolpix 8800, KM A200, and Oly 8080, which, I estimate, will be released soon (with or w/o AA batts???)

I am always trying to find the time to use my Oly, but my practice keeps me busy, and I sometimes get lazy...one of my greatest recent thrills was to plug in my Oly to my computer and it actually downloaded pictures!!!...I felt like Bill Gates discovering Windows 3.1...

Anyway, while I would like to be a credit to the various topics I post, I find myself in a one-way relationship...I ask all the questions, and you smart people offer the answers...I will get better as time goes on...

Thanks for allowing the rant...

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:16 PM   #244

Bob

I just started a thread at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16 just for rants like that. Maybe those of us who have become regulars here, like yourself, Carlton, Speaklightly, etc. can now rant in a discussion which is not so S9000 specific.

Ira

As for my future camera choices, I do admit that I am still interested in the DSLR route, a Pentax *istDS2 looks like my most likely purchase since I already have a very good selection of lenses for it. I love my S7000, it is the best camera I have ever owned (pro SLRs such as the Minolta Maxxum 9000 included), but I think that right now I would like to have the S7000 for my travels and the Pentax for more organized shoots. I would heartily endorse the EVF camera for anyone who wants maximum flexibility with minimum hastles.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:21 AM   #245

If you are going the CF route, you may want to look at Microdrives, they are a less expensive MB/dollar storage alternative. The only drawbacks is they use more power and since they are tiny harddrives you probably should drop them or toss them around. I started with a 1GB microdrive almost 6 years ago and it finally died last year (After making trips to Korea, 2 weeks,and Iraq, 1 year)when I upgraded to the 2GB version. Just a thought if you are looking for higher capacity drives.

:edit: just read your last post ira, will try to keep this on topic
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:57 AM   #246

Hi djgiron,

Is the Microdrive faster than the CF II? Or put another way - what is the fastest memory format to use in the S9000?

Cheers,

Ben.
benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:46 AM   #247

Any of the new owners able to comment on using 55mm filters viaa step downadapter on the 9000, in terms of vignetting? All my filters are 55mm for my 5100.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:20 AM   #248

Hi,

I am new in this forum but have been watching fuji s9000 and the talk here for the date s9000 has been announced.

Seems that fuji has yet the focus ring problem. I am quite woried about. I have owned a s7000 and never used the focus ring. It was useless. I WANT to know if this problem persists with s9000.

I am quite willing to buy this camera as beeing quite happy with fuji s7000 but macros I have taken were quite outstanding. I don't want to comment on what I have seen but I would prefer my sold 7000.

In october dcresource is going to post s9000 review. I love dcresource for beeing so killing drastic about cameras. I remember s7000 review wich was quite hard, even desastrous for image quality and other issues. But always I trust steves reviews more beeing much objective. I would say that dcresource has underestimatyed the s7000.

Would he be able to do the same with s9000? Hope not.

Enough for now.

Gratefull for all who is sharing experience.

Mike
aenhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 7:09 AM   #249

found anotherthaiwanese site with examples:

http://www.dcview.com.tw/article/new...&epaper=99

this page was made3 days ago.

and found a photo of the cable-connection for external flash uncovered, so you can see the type of connection!

http://www.fujisvet.cz/clanky/articl...ION=/index.php

this review is from the czech republic

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:08 AM   #250

It has a 9.4MB/s sustained transfer rate, I am not sure what others can do. They have 2GB, 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB (which is insane unless you have a PDA or something).

Lexar professional series 80x are 12MB/s (not sure if that is sustained or max though).
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote