Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:42 AM   #21

Harvey wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm..

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/digitalc...portfolio.html*has some sample pictures. Judge for yourself.
Have you seen the terrible purple fringing around the last girl's head? It does not look good.
lukkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:14 PM   #22

that would be the, ahem, the BACKGROUND
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 7:12 PM   #23

"Have you seen the terrible purple fringing around the last girl's head?"

Nope, can't see it.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:41 PM   #24

There is slight fringing at the very top but when you practically have to squint to see it at 100% magnification on the computer screen I would definitely call it acceptable (check out the more expensive Canon Pro 1 or Sony F828 to see much worse fringing). This looks like a very sharp lens with very low CA. I think it is time to stop being pixel-peepers and start being photographers, most of the flaws that people obsess over when viewed at 100% magnification, effectively disappear, even in a large print ( after all pixels are much smaller at the150 to 300dpi of a printed image rather than the typical 72dpi of the computer screen )

I believe that this camera, along with the new Kodak P880, represent the next step in digicams, camera which handle like cameras instead of electronic devices. DSLRs have evolved from existing film SLRs but these cameras are bridging the gap between the DSLR and the simpler digicam.

I will wait for the reviews but right now the S9000 looks like a very desirable camera.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:49 PM   #25

Hello All,

I am not waiting for the reviews. The S9000's Specs solve many of the problems I have to work around with my Sony F-828.

With Sony sharing patents with Samsung and announcing they are going the DSLR route with Konica-Minolta, there is no sense waiting for Sony to upgrade the F-828.

And the Samsung Pro815 sounds good but how could they eliminate noise on their 2/3" chip if others (Nikon, Canon, Olympus with Sony's chip) could not.

The new Kodak 8MP shows just where American (I am American) industry and technology is going..Limit images to .8MP above 200 ISO?....Forget about it.

The Panasonic LZ30 sounds great except for the narrow wide end. If I have to use a tele-converter I might as well use my D60.

Fuji has raised the bar with new technology in their Super CCD 5th generation chip and processor. Fujihas given me a clear choice as a photographer.

All this means as soon as I find a retailer with no sales tax and shipping, I will pre-order my S9000. If it is as good as the F-10 regarding image quality, I will buy a back-up and sell off all my other equipment, and won't need a new camera for a very long time. All IMHO.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:33 AM   #26

I think there is one point still needs to be stressed. nickphoto123 mentions his Canon D60, and I have already told of my extensive Minolta Maxxum lens set (and a workable Pentax set) yet we both find the S9000 an exciting prospect. I cannot speak for others but I find it so "liberating" to carry that little all-in-one Fuji S7000, but... the electronic zoom control and viewfinder refresh rate make it less satisfying than my old film SLRs. The S9000 has addressed the factors I disliked, a real zoom ring, a lens that does not retract, and it seems that it has a faster viewfinder (BTW I didn't find shutter lag to be a problem with the S7000, but the S9000 promises improvement there as well).

When I shot film I used lenses from 28mm to 210mm normally, I occasionally used a 2X teleconverter when I needed that extra reach. The S9000 covers all of that range, even coming close to the teleconverter. When I shot film I usually used films ranging from ISO 64 to ISO 400, with an occasional roll of 800, I used a 1600 speed film once (because someone gave me two rolls). I have no problem with a little digital noise, but the S9000 has reduced that considerably if it reaches the F10 levels, so high ISO is a bonus for me.

I am sure that I will eventually get a DSLR to match one of my lens sets, but if the S9000 lives up to its promise, it may not be for a few years. If it is good enough Imay even do as nickphoto123 suggests and sell everything else?

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:06 PM   #27

Hi, Ira,

Just a note to say I agree with much of what you have writen in several of your posts in this thread.

I already have a DSLR (Canon 300D). I also have a Fuji 6900z - 2 generations back from the new S9000. Which is best? Well after exhaustive comparative testing, I can confirm that that for large prints the Canon has the edge for resolution, but (surprisingly) it is very marginal in this respect. Which takes the better pictures? The Fuji! - and by a long way! The 6900 has a much superior performancein colourfidelity and produces photographs that have a WOW factor that the Canonnever comes close to matching.Specscan be so misleading and as an old and experienced photographerI cannot understand the preoccupation with numbers that can never truly convey the character of an instrument such as acamera.

For those without a DSLR who may drool over specsand enthusiastic reviews, I would say - don't worry! My 6900 is better built, handles just as well and has been far more reliable than my Canon. I feel that it will have a much longer life than my DSLR, which is prone to fail in inexplicable ways and shows every sign of having been designed to last just beyond its 1 year warranty period.

Three years ago I didn't even know Fuji made cameras (although I have used their films). I haveowned Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, etc. before I bought my 6900. It has turned out to be the most verastile and rewarding camera I have ever owned. I can't wait to try out the new S9000, and I don't think I will be disappointed.

Regards, Alan Sickling, Sheffield.

Alan Sickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 3:42 AM   #28

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I think it is time to stop being pixel-peepers and start being photographers
Hi Ira.

Thanks for your comments. I especially enjoyed that part about pixel-peepers at 100% magnification. No camera (no matter how good the lens and the image quality) will make you a better photographer. Guys, stop whining about an odd pixel here or there and quit drooling over DSLR specs.

I would describe myself as an enthusiast amateur photographer and have been shooting photos with SLR 35mm cameras for over a decade, always fond of the superior optics and the versatility (interchangeable zoom lenses, manual focus, manual exposure, aperture priority auto, etc.).

In the past I've considered switching to DSLR (Canon 20D would have been my prime choice). However, a few weeks ago it struck me: why the hell am I so obsessed with SLR? Yes, in 35mm photography only a SLR camera gave me what I wanted. But so far, these new prosumer models like s9000 and p880 seem so promising with exactly the features I valued in SLR photography PLUS the features I've always envied in digicams (LCD for framing, videoclips).

OK, so they aren't DSLR. So what? Am I a professional photographer? No. Do I consider photography as a hobby? Yes. Does a bit of noise at 100% magnification cause me sleepless nights?I don't think so. Does some kind of inferiority complex cry out for a DSLR? Absolutely!

So I guess I'll shake off my irrational lust for SLR and get one of these new prosumers coming out this fall - can't wait to read the first reviews.

cheers,

nymano.

nymano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 5:35 AM   #29

Hello All,

Recent events lead me to believe Fuji's Super CCD, 5th Generation, and their Real Processor has led to the following:

1) Prompted Sony to go the DSLR route

2) Prompted HP to quit the Asian digital camera market.

Fuji's ability to provide 1600 ISO in a 'usable' imageis making waves (big waves) throughout the Digital World.

Can't wait for my S9000.

Just my take on things. Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:46 PM   #30

Looking forward to it being sold here in the USA. I saw one company that set a price, which I think is way to high. http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...iliate=froogle
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote