Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:35 AM   #311
AWT

Just a quick message for Monza76 and anyone else in the agonies of deciding about the S9500:?

I've just got hold of mine, and as an ex S7000 man I am certainly not disappointed!

The manual zoom had me hooked from the start, and I've just discovered something else that niggled me about the 7000 that is cured on this camera.. There are two AE-Lock modes, effectively push-to hold and toggle (latching). This is the icing on the cake for me as I was already delighted that the photometry mode setting is now on a dial, not buried in the menus.

With the 9500, if I'm taking a series of shots and know the light conditions aren't going to change, I can just spotmeter once on a highlight, AE-lock and only worry about focussing from then on.

Now for the image quality... Bear in mind that I've only just unpacked it, but a quick flash photo at ISO200 is noticeably less noisy than the 7000 was. I can't comment on resolution yet, but yet again it's as good as the 7000 on first inspection with Irfanview.

So,To add to the portfolio of samples,Tell mea 'standard' scene you want me to photograph and I'll put the results up on my webspace in RAW and JPG at all ISO settings as soon as possible.

Ithought the imagescould bemanual focussed 28mm zoom with the lens at maximum aperture on shutter priority, with thecamera tripod mounted and on self-timer so my shaky hands can be taken out of the equation. Sharpness settings will be set to default.

Let me know either way.. I've got to tidy the house now:sad:

Andy
AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:32 AM   #312

An outdoor portrait w. 135mm zoom of a model 30 to 40 feet away surrounded by nature...

Dancers on a stage with moving spot lights...

Blue-eyed persons in room at night with average lighting...

If you have time, thanks in advance.
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:55 PM   #313

Hi guys

Just joined the Forums. For thos who have Windows XP, they have a Free RAW file converter to downlaod from www.microsoft.com. Use the Search facility for RAW and it will gt the page.

I am thinking of getting an s9500 in December, just learnign as mush as I can before then and the final decision.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:43 PM   #314

Actually what Microsoft seems to be providing is a program that will allow you to view and print raw images from specific Nikon and Canon cameras. It is not a converter in the sense that some of the others are because there is no utility to make any adjustments to the image, nor does there seem to be a way to save the image in a different format.

I have played with a couple of raw images that I downloaded from the Web that were taken with an S9000. Since Adobe Camera Raw does not support that camera yet, I was only able to use S7Raw to make the conversion and then open that PSD file in Photoshop. My initial test results seem to indicate that I get a better image if I save using the 9/16 sizing option. The image seems to be a lot cleaner than if I use the full-size option. At least that was true on one of the images. You may have seen them. One of them is a photo of a flower garden with a wooden trellis over the top of it. That image didn't look good at all when I saved it at full resolution, but using the 9/16 option it looked very good. I don't think that's a flaw in the camera as much as it is probably a problem with the converter. I will be anxious to see how Adobe Camera Raw handles the same images. Thomas Knoll, creator (I believe) of Photoshop, was asking for raw images from the 9000. He wants to get a head start on supporting the camera. I provided him with a link to the images that were posted on this forum, and he sent me an e-mail to tell me that he had downloaded one of the images so that he could start working on providing support for the camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:03 AM   #315
AWT

aenhim wrote:
Quote:
There are still few shops that sell the fuji s9000. Why?

PS: I enclosed here a s7000 photo I took this summer. It is just resized from 12mp fine soft setting to 6mp. and sharpened twice in irfan view, (verry primitive). In the end I cut off the bee and posted it here.

There doesn't seem to be a shortage of 9500's here in the UK, it's just a matter of finding them at the right price. The highest I've seen is £560 on Amazon.co.uk:?, I've just paid £449 (with 2yr warranty) from UK Digitaland Dabs are still offering at £404 (although no stock for the foreseeable future). Street price is £499.99.

Here's an S7000 bee of mine!

AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:23 AM   #316

Those who have their s9000/s9500 already - have you found that it races through batteries?!! The 4 that came with it lasted me 1 night of playing with all the settings and testing the camera. I went and shot a street parade on Saturday night and used 4 new batteries in an hour and that was turning the camera on and off to take shots and not using the LCD!!!

People with the RAW conversion probs - I just noticed with my Digital Camera magazine the free disk has a RAW plug-in for PhotoShop, I'm sure you could download this. Also has some pretty cool RAW filter plug-ins too.

People debating the quality of the s9500 I can tell you honestly that I am amazed. Whilst going through some photos I took of a street carnival on Saturday night, in very poor light, I was amazed to find a really cool electric blue ghost image of a boy who ran past a fire engine with lights on. Zoomed in on it and I have a really funky image to manipulate. I only took it out to test it in low light with speed and ended up sending a bunch to the local newspaper! I also used the Makro on a spider in my shed and again in poor light got a great image. Sorry can't put them up as don't have web space at mo and don't want to clog thread.

AWT - What with our economy we consume items like this more than most so we have a greater supply. Although, because we are essentially a big island we pay more for import and taxes!! I paid 475 inc tax and delivery and got it overnight - well happy - don't care if I might be able to get it cheaper off dabs somewhere in the future (30/9/05 is current prediction).

Daily Dabs watch 405.99 incl tax and delivery, you'll get it some time in October!

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 5:35 AM   #317

I've had my S9500 a week now. Didn't bother with the batteries that came with it. I had bought8 rechargeable NiMH 2500 from Ebay for about £9 inc postage. I'm still going strong on my first set of 4 and have been using the camera every day!

Camera is excellent, although I have upgraded from an S5000 which I used far more as a point and shoot than this. With this one I want to explore everything it can do, as with just initial experimentation it is very clear that you can get dramatically better photos if you get the settings just right, rather than relying on auto everything.

malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 6:18 AM   #318

HURRAY, what a joy!!! Finally I got my S9500!!
Just got home from the shop, still need to unpack it. As soon as I have made some pix en tested my baby, I'll let you know my findings.

here are 2 pix, to show the size of the camera. 2nd pic. was made using my old compact in my left hand and the s9500 in my right, bit shaky because it was made in my livingroom and the exposure button is on the right of the cam, so hard to make a photo that way :-)

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 9:08 AM   #319

Some more S9500 sample:
http://warringtonbears.org.uk/steves/

Full-size versions of a couple of the shots:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altissa...5_09250044.JPG
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altissa...5_09250344.JPG
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:27 AM   #320

more testing done this afternoon, cable release works great, used the old cable of my father's "analogue" SLR, must be 20-25 years old that thing!
external flash works fine also. You need to tell the camera in a menu to use an external flash, but then it works just like on my 25 year old SLR

so... now fully setup with external flash, the monster looks like this:

that white stuff on my flash is from old tape, need to clean it, the tape was on the handle for more than 10 years! :-)
proton is offline   Reply With Quote