Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:47 PM   #331

Very nice work, try to get the water a little darker and see if that makes any difference (channel mixer in PS), a little more contrast there may give the picture even more punch than it already has. Like I said, very good work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:49 AM   #332

another picture, taken last night of the street where I live. I was standing on a little (handmade) wall/hill at the end of the road (the wallwas made to reflect the sound of the cars behind it).

http://members.lycos.nl/robbyvalentine/puntmos.jpg

the photo was cropped, resized for internetand I used the gamma/level function to make it a little bit lighter. Made lots of photo's yesterday in the dark to test the cam. I used nightmode (automatic , up to 4 secs) and manual mode (various aperatures and exposure times). Mostly used iso80. (and a tripod ofcourse :-) ).

This camera is great for night pix!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:21 AM   #333

Thanks Proton

Any pictures you take, just share with us if you don't mind.

After a few days, what's yourexperience concerning delay when taking pictures or is it quick (with and without flash)? Is it annoying or on the contrary do youfeel you don't wait for the camera?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:06 AM   #334

Personally the only thing i find irritating about my cam is that the screen goes black when the flash needs to be charged..
It's about 1.5 seconds i guess.
Nefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:22 AM   #335

as said before on forums, the screen (LCD) blackens indeed after using flash. But in my opinion it does not matter if the screen goes black during the time of charging flash, because you cant take a picture with flash in those 1.5 or 2 seconds anyway!

On my old SLR I also had to wait for a recharge. For me it's not a negative point.

If needed you can also use the EVF. I haven't checked if that blackens, but I heard it doesn't.

Without flash, the camera is fast. If I make a photo and then look at the LED to see how long it flashes or stays orange (indication of storingthe photo), it's already out again, so fast is it!

AF is fast, slower ofcourse in low light conditions. Still need to find it how the various AF settings work. is a matter of time :-) I'm working, so can only do some testing in the evening at the moment.

Switching photo's in playback mode is slow, 1 sec or so. Best thing is to use the thumbnail screen to look something up. For showing pix to others it is a bit to slow I think. But the size is 4.5mb, so I guess the camera needs to load more and therefore needs more time?

Old Sep 29, 2005, 10:20 AM   #336

imo i think some people are missing the point of this camera ... the FUJI S9500 costs £ 460 here in the UK and the cheapest DSLR costs the same for the body only plus upwards of £ 250 for a 28 - 300 lens (Tamron XR) ... i know FUJI say its an alternative to a DSLR ... * BUT * you only get what you pay for !!!!!!!

i honestly think the nearest we're going to get to a DSLR in a fixed lens BRIDGE camera, might be the new SONY R1 ??

ps :

i'd be very keen to know ... has anyone compared the FUJI S9500 toa DSLR such as a Nikon D50 (with cheapish zoom) or a Canon EOS 350d ???????

stugolduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:08 PM   #337

I bought the camera for it's features and after seeing many examples. I don't care what FUJI said about DSLR's :-)
There is still 400 euro's or more difference between the S9500 and a DSLR with 2 lenses, also I don't want to carry around all that stuff.
I know what I bought, and it's a cam with everything on it, but more noise than an DSLR, which is obvious ofcourse but acceptable for the price I paid: 599 euro's
This camera has less noise than my old 3mp cam, I'm satisfied.

Old Sep 29, 2005, 2:20 PM   #338

Proton

I am happy that you said that. You knew what you wanted, and got what you wanted. As far as I am concerned, I am getting an S9500 in December, it will be an improvement on my Canon, and I am confident that I will be able to get the photographs I want and develop my skills further.

If I ever NEED!! a DSLR, I will be happy because I will be making a nice income from photography, and it will satisfy a requirement within that career.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:51 PM   #339

OK time to get involved again. I agree with Crystin, most of us want a DSLR few of us need one. My next purchase will be a DSLR only because I have the lenses already and I realize that I will have to swap lenses to cover the entire focal length of the S9000.

DSLR have larger buffers (I almost never used the continuous shooting modes on my film SLRs, so big deal), DSLRs offer very low noise (hey, a little grain isn't a bad thing), and DSLRs offer a real TTL optical viewfinder (well that one is hard to beat).

As for the lens, The latest Hasselblad cameras (the 6X4.5 H series I believe) are not using the Zeiss lenses of the 6X6 Hassy but a lens line built by Fuji, a leader in medium format cameras and lenses. I would much prefer a Fuji lens to anything made by Tamron (which is not truly optimized for the camera).

What am I getting at? I would rather have a Fuji S9500 than a low end DSLR with a crappy lens. If you already have some decent SLR lenses (which I do) then by all means take the plunge (which I intend to). But otherwise either chuck the big bucks for a quality DSLR outfit with good lenses or get the S9500.

I have already posted my lens set here so you know why I have decided on the Pentax DSLR (however the 19-35mm, 35-70mm, 70-210mm and 50mm f1.7 Minolta Dynax/Maxxum lenses make the KM 5d an option as well)

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:21 PM   #340

Yesterday I used a tripod and a cable-release to make some night shots. it's 1 of 2 features I really like :
the cable-release possibility and external flash which can beconnected with a cable on the front.
The internal flash has only a (guiding?) number of 6, and my big flash has 32.
So I'm quite happy that I can use it, since it was for years in my attic! :-)

Here is another example: this is my neigbourhood, photo taken from a bridge nearby.
I cropped it to give it a superwide panoramic view , and sharpened it a little bit.

http://members.lycos.nl/robbyvalentine/mosbuurt.jpg

F3.4 was used, Iso80, 30secs exposure.