Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:46 PM   #341

I have the camera since last Friday. I stepped into a shop in Amsterdam (Foto Booms) and they where just bringing in the boxeswith the s9500. Even my wife understand that that was a sign not to ignored! :-)

We are just for an hour or so at home and I had a look at my pictures on the screen. A lot of great pictures. I'm a little bit disappointed about the noise at 800 ISO in some conditions, but now I know, so I will use flash more in a room. One thing is for sure: I will keep my s602z for picture bursts during for example sports events. The s9500 is a great camera, but not when you want to have a few pictures in a second.

wwwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:20 PM   #342

Proton,

That last picture that you posted merely substantiates a statement I made a while back. Some people seem to have the expectation that buying a more sophisticated higher resolution camera is going to automatically make them a better photographer and with no additional effort will enable them to produce superior photographs. Some people are expressing disappointment when they compare the images from their 9500 and their older cameras because they can't see any improvement in their results. Your picture illustrates that even with a good camera, an excellent camera, the skill of the photographer is just as (if not more) important as the camera. That was a very nice image.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:53 AM   #343

Thanks for the compliments :-)

Yes, 2 important factors, the person behind the camera, and the camera itself are of influence if the photo's will turn out ok. The most important being the photographer.

You can have a fancy DSLR worth thousands of $$, but if you don't know how to handle it, what every button does etc. And if you don't have an eye for it, you'll get blurred pix, under or over exposure, subjects not completely on the pic, etc. The standard errors which 'newbies' make :-)

I never would say that I'm a good photographer, I think that's for others to decide :-) But I'm not a newbie, having made pix for20 years and having a SLR that is completely manual, you learn things about aperature and exposure etc. Also a book that explains how a SLR works is quite good for getting to know how photography works. :-)I think of what I want on a photo, and try to set the camera so that it will make the photo that I want to have. I guess the results are quite good. Can't complain :-)

Compared with my old 3mp compact I have now much more options to play with, better DOF, more zoom etc. So more ways to change a standard photo into something more interesting. It will give me certainly more joy than shooting pix with a point and shoot cam!

Not that P&S is bad, a P&S cam is small, easy to carry, good for holiday pix and it was the only thing allowed in at the 4 QUEEN concerts I went to this spring/summer!:-)Sometimes it's a challenge to get certain photo's with a 'limited' camera. And my concerts pix turned out quite good (see topic: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5)

With the new S9500 my hobby will more interesting, it will bring me back to the days when I used my old SLR, setting up the camera for a photo instead of just simply pressing a button :-)(ofcourse that does not count for action pix, but with action pix, a digital camera is an advantage over an old SLR, specially if that old SLR is totally manually)
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:46 PM   #344

Here a sample of the s9500 night mode. taken in windy and rainy conditions. iso 80
Attached Images

dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:57 PM   #345

great cam for nights shots heh? and no hot pixels like with my old cam! (at 2 secs it has a lot of them).
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:07 PM   #346

dijkx wrote:
Quote:
Here a sample of the s9500 night mode. taken in windy and rainy conditions. iso 80
Amsterdam? Very artistic! Is it straight out of the camera or are you a Photoshop genius?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:11 PM   #347

Yes it's a great cam and not only for nightspots. No hot pixels at all. Because it was raining I didn't feel like fiddling with the controls so I took my shots in auto (night mode) and they came out quite nice. Focusing was very quick even under these conditions.
Attached Images

dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:55 PM   #348

Gents, if you have portraits, do not hesitate to forward them.

Same for indoor pictures at night, with and without flash

Thanks
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:21 PM   #349
AWT

My son caught eating biscuits

http://www.a6c.net/caught.jpg

And a still life featuring a camera from my teen years!

http://www.a6c.net/still.jpg

AWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:24 PM   #350

iso100, flash, F2.9
Attached Images