Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:13 AM   #471

Proton, I'll be interested to see how you get on. Personally, I'm not so sure about the wisdom of attaching such alenseto the end of theplastic zoom barrel. I think it's going to place quite a load on the zoom/barrel mechanism -with this lens, you will bescrewing a 1/3kg weight directly on to the end of the barrel which will representa substantialcantilever load at full zoom -a loadthat you have no way of supporting whilst you zoom & focus. I might well be wrong, but I can see problems down the road-it wouldbe worth checking with Fuji whether they sanction this add-on and whether they will honour any warranty issues relating toany subsequent zoom mechanism degradation.

I think it's very significant that add on lenses are not offered in the S9000/9500 owner's manual whereas they are with the S5100/5500 (the latter has a sleeve that goes over the zoom barrell and to which the Tele-con lenses are fitted directly, thus avoiding the need to screw anythingon to the zoom barrel itself). Strange that Fuji would miss the opportunity to market their own tele-conversion lenses with the new 9500!

Theseare justmy thoughts andI may very well be wrong, but I don't think that this Raynox lens option has been thought throughvery well inrespect of basic engineering considerations. I'd really be keen to hear what Fuji have to say.

You might like to have a look at this earlier discussion that took place concerning the Raynox lenses when they first leapt on the S9500 opportunity to market their product.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

Steve

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 12:27 AM   #472

I know I'll be fascinated to find out how it works too. I still haven't decided yet on the S9000 or a DSLR, but I am looking at ALL my options...
dragondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:20 AM   #473

I hope to get the converter tomorrow. I'll let you know my experiences with weight, handling etc.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...0pro/index.htm

the weight is 275 grams bytheway, not 565 as the other lenses are in that other topic.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:25 AM   #474

Thanks Proton, I have contacted Fuji for their official stand on this issue since I am in the market for a 9500 myself and would like to know. Will let you know their responseIF &WHEN I get a reply!

In terms of weight - that's why I said 1/3kg (+/-)(275gms). Also note that the lens itself is 123mm long which compounds the cantilever loadscenario.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:58 AM   #475

I have checked the zoombarrel, it feels cold, so I think it's not made of plastic but metal , aluminum I guess. Also the thread must be metal, a plastic thread would be much to fragile.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:04 AM   #476

read this interesting theory, it explains why RAW is 18mp and JPG is 9mp on the S9500! (source:Fuji forum on dpreview)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In JPEG the camera delivers 9 million pixels. In RAW, it's 17,743,872 pixels (17,7MP). Why this difference? A photosite is not a pixel.

There are 9 million fotosites on the SUPER CCD. There are organized diagonally, which gives an advantage (the fotosites can be larger and thus more sensitive, which leads to a higer ISO capabilities). The downside is: some kind of a translation has to be made to make the pixels fall into a vertical/horizontal organized grid. So the pixels in between the diagonal photosites are interpolated (from the info of their neighbours). Saving a RAW file from the s9500 saves this picture. Saving a picture in jpeg saves it in a recalculated 9 MP

normal CCD grid:
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O

total: 32 photosites = 32 pixels

super ccd grid:
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O

total: 32 more sensitive photosites

Raw interpolated pixels are "+", photo sites are "o"
o+o+o+o+o+o+o+o+
+o+o+o+o+o+o+o+o
o+o+o+o+o+o+o+o+
+o+o+o+o+o+o+o+O

total: 32 more sensitive photosites= 64 pixels on the same surface as the 32 pixels of a normal ccd

beware: a photosite is the fysical spot on a CCD that captures light. A pixel is the smallest part of an image. In cameras an "effective pixel" equals a photosite. But the 9mp of the s9500 are recalculated from a 17,7MP Raw file.

so why not interpolate a normal ccd then? Because the photosites are less sensitive due to their positioning on the CCD. That is exactly why all competitors struggle with noisy cameras.

-------------------------------------------------------

more discussion can be found here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=15357537

Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:47 AM   #477

has anyone tried out the digital zoom yet? I just tested it. On my old 3mp compact, the camera simple cropped the image, so 5x digital zoom have a 640x480 pixels image. BUT... this camera does not crop! Some kind of interpolation takes place and at 2x digital zoom, the image is still 9mp in size! quality/sharpness is quite good also I must say!

So... 300mm with 2x zoom is 600mm, adding the teleconverter of 2.2x makes a frightning 1320mm zoom .....:G:?

I have no idea if 1320mm will give a decent picture, but I'm sure I'll have fun trying :-)

I guess I'll have to use iso800 and a tripod :lol:
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:50 AM   #478

Marsha7:

If you've been following Proton and SteveDak's conversation on attachment lenses and raw image files and you feel you can go back to being dumb because Ira's not "here", you must be a lot smarter than I am.:-)

I think there are still a lot of useful and informative discussions going on here concerning the S9000/S9500. We're now getting to know the real camera instead of speculating on what Fuji is coming out with. For owners and potential buyers, this information is much more realistic. I sincerely hopethose of us who have the camera don't abandon this thread, but keep adding out input on a new product that is groundbreaking first in its field. This camera has so much to offer that many people won't even know about unless someone tells them. There are tricks and tips you learn and discover on your own - those you won't find in any manual. Hopefully, we'll see this forum address some of these things.
MamawB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:08 AM   #479

MamawB: The attachment discussion and RAW are a little (OK, a lot) above me, I just wait until they come down to my level...:-):-):-)
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:35 AM   #480

Hi again Proton, Just a point - don't think I'm being negative about the Raynox lens or the potential you can see itholds for the 9500, I'm just concerned that you don't become a woundedguinea pig and find out later and to your cost, that Fuji never intended (for sound engineering reasons) for anything to be added on other than filters & adapters!!!I think thatone of the key elements of theirmarketing drive is thatthe 9500 is the camera where you neverwant to change a lens (ie one -upmanship over DSLR). Apart from the engineering factor, I think this is why no mention is made of tele-con lenses in the owner's manual. As a prospective 9500 owner I want to know from Fuji what the official line is! (would be great if there is no problem)

Incidentally my S5500 is plastic throughout - zoom, barrel sleeve/adapter, threads, et al.

Really enjoy your posts regarding the 9500 - convincing me more & more that it is a good choiceof camera for me - keep them coming.