Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:49 AM   #41

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Adorama has the S9000 for MSLP $699.00. I called. Not in stock yet.

Bestpriceauduiovideo placed me on a Pre-Pre-order list and promised to give me deliverystatus reports as they receive them.

Regards, Nicholas

$699 ??? That's not fair! Saw a price at a german reseller (online) of 699 EUR (approx $863) today. Bah - let's wait to see how it is priced when in store actually.

Darnit - it looks good (by numbers).
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:51 AM   #42

Well I guess I can state that, until something else comes along, the S9000 is at the top of my short list. It is interesting that all of the other entries on that list are DSLRs, but neither has the portability of the Fuji, and the Fuji image quality is more than adequate for my use.

A Fuji S9000 and a set of cool studio lights (the curly flourescent type) look like they will be my next two purchases (not necessarily in that order).

I will reserve final judgement for when the first reviews show up but, like Nicholas, I am very excited.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:32 AM   #43

Yes, it's very easy to get excited about something that is new. The 9000 looks like it's going to have a lot of wonderful features, and will probably be the camera to purchase sometime in the future. But I'm still very satisfied with my 5100. It takes excellent pictures. I get flawless books from mypublisher.com with full bleed pages and 9x12 borderless images. The camera works flawlessly. And I haven't even used all of the features I have available on the camera. So while I would like to have the extra pixels, I doubt very much that by paying three times what I paid for my 5100 will I ever get three times the picture. Maybe a little improvement, but I really like what I already have. I'm going to wait for a while.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:47 PM   #44

jphess, you are absolutely right to stick with your current camera if it produces the results you want. My interest in the S9000 is based on the fact that I do occasional small weddings and I really want a second camera "just in case". (Now I have to carry around my film SLR kit as a backup to my S7000.) I am quite pleased with the S7000's picture quality, and I don't need 9MP resolution, but the S9000 offers me handling like the film SLRs I have used for so long, and a longer zoom range with a real wide angle (My 35mm equipment always spanned 28mm to 200mm, I miss the wide end). Since I do the occasional event I also need a proper external flash and these cameras let me use my old Vivitars to light up a banquet hall or dance floor.

Your 5100 is a very nice camera which gets excellent results and offers most of the features of my S7000, if you don't require an external flash there is very little reason to upgrade at this point, as a matter of fact I would pick up a second S7000 as a backup and forget about the S9000 if it wasn't for the focal length and handling advantages.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:48 PM   #45

I want to chime in.

Why does the S9000/S9500 looks so good? Because of the 9mp? Oh no. It's the combination that turns heads.

First digicam I tested was a Fuji F700. I loved the easy craddle handling which reminds me of my Palm organizer. I loved the high ISO. The easy menu was great too. Video mode. Everything there. The pics just were to ... hm... soft/dizzy, well I made like 1000 pics and found no WOW pic.

I tested the Minolta A2 (I think) 5mp and IS? Something like that. Bulky. Heavy. But reminded me of my SLR, which is a Minolta too. And the manual zoom ring! Wonderful!

Then the Canon S1 IS - felt like a SLR to hold, easy menu, display to turn in every direction (nice), IS. Good pictures with "only" 3mp. BUT the batteries. It ate rechargeables like there was no tomorrow.

Then my current Oly C770 UZ. Not that great ergonomics. No IS. No ISO 1600. Not that easy menu. BUT I made some pics with the "wow" effect. So I took it. Ok - it's a ultra zoom. No wide lens... but /shrug, you can't have everything.

Now for the S9000. It has high ISO, looks (and hopefully feels) like a SLR, has a manual zoom and (happy happy joy) focus ring. that tilting display is not the "real thing" but will help here and there. No IS, but anti-blur mode. Zoom range is just great for me. From Wide to tele. If the image processsor is a as capabale as in the Fuji F10 I can take shots with ISO 800 without hesitating. F11! Now thats nice!

You see- it sums up. It's not the 9mp. Ofc it is nice to have something if you wanna crop, but hey - this cam has some nice lens to compose a pic. I feel that the mixture is right. A fast cam. OK - maybe not as fast as a true dSLR, but fast. And I need this because I like to catch a moment. Continuous AF mode onboard for that too. passive AF sensor PLUS AF light compared with none of both I have now.

That's why I am a little enthusiastic. There will always be a better cam. You just have to live with the mixture. Maybe I can't hold the body well - would be so bad. Maybe it can't produce a "wow" piccie for me... would be too bad. But the numbers are promising.

Any1 an idea how we can talk Steve into doing a review till next weekend? :blah:

Cheers, Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 6:00 PM   #46

I have the Canon S2 IS and was hoping that it would satisfy my thirst for a DSLR, but alas it still is not fast enough and sharp enough at higher ISO.

So I was resigned to purchase the XT soon, but now Fuji may have saved the day. I cannot wait to get my hands on one and try the 9000 out. If it is quick on its feet and sharp as the pictures I have viewed on the Fuji site, well then thank you Fuji, you may have just saved me around $500 dollars to start with and the endless desire to always add a higher end (and expensive) lens. And still allow me to keep that nice portable size.

We shall see:-).

Good Day,

Steven
Steven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 3:23 AM   #47

I know that the S7000 I have is a great camera, I am just tired of carrying the wide angle and telefoto adapters around all the time. I also would like to use the zoom while shooting video. I got the 7000 because it shoots fast, the last 5 frame feature has been fantastic when trying to photograph paintball action. The draw backs of the 7000 have been answered, (zoom while filming, focus assist light, longer and wider zoom) while keeping the best features of the 7000 (speed, supermacro, AA batteries) and hopefully improving the already great images the 7000 takes. I am excited to get this camera and test it out, and see some reviews on it as well.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 3:53 AM   #48

OK so I just skimmed through the manual, and it mentions storage options of 4GB or greater, that would lead me to believe that is uses FAT32 instead of FAT16 so you will be able to address more than 2GB of memory (a drawback of the s7000 in my eyes). Just FYI
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:32 AM   #49

Hello All,

Just uncovered the following on the S9000,

On Portrait Mode, the dynamic rangeof the Super CCD sensor is increased.

Check this out:

Japanese:

[人物]AUTO撮影に比べダイナミックレンジを 1.5倍に拡大。白とびを防いで、人の 肌をなめらかに再現できます。

English machine translation:

Expanding the dynamic range to approximately 1.5 times [ person ] in
comparison with AUTO photographing. Preventing the white flying, it
can reproduce the skin of the person smoothly.

The link to the Fuji.JP site is:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/digitalc...0/feature.html

There a two thumbnail images next to the symbol of the 'Portrait Mode, about mid-page.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:16 PM   #50

I realize that this is about cameras that have not yet been released, but has anyone considered the Panasonic FZ30, in addition to the S9000? Since only specs have been released, does it sound like a worthy competitor to the S9000?
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote