Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 12, 2005, 5:48 PM   #521

The raw file from the 9000 is 17.7 MB, not megapixels. The two are not related. Fuji's raw file format produces larger files than those from some of the other manufacturers.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:31 PM   #522

Proton:

I need help! Do you know why the picture is darker when I use Night mode compare with Auto mode? Do I need to do other settings in order to make the picture looks brighter?

Thanks
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 9:49 PM   #523

when your camera gets the exposure from dark subject it tends to overexposure it and make it look more bright than normal

so the night mode knows that at night most things are dark so the fully automatic mode would overexposure so it gives less exposure than the fully automatic

if you want to over or under exposure an image just use the + - button and add or substract some stops (in increments of 1/3 stop)

A general rule is that:
in dark you underexposure (-)
in light you overexposure (+)

for example in snow you should overexposure so as the snow to be white and not more grey. the fully automatic settings would make it more dark so you should correct the exposure using the + button

since you can see the result right away check it and if you want a
brighter pic just press the - + and -> (right)
darker pic just press the - + and <- (left)
if you want more bright or more dark pic
while pressing the - + button press more than once the -> or <-
the more you press it the bigger the difference

try also using exposure bracketing
the manual of your cam should tell you everything
akaloith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 3:58 AM   #524

In response to vocalfons last post,

Fuji USA are maintaining that the thread is thereto receivestandard 58mm filters onlyand NOT add on lenses, which they saySHOULDNOT be attached.

Notwithstanding this, other users have fitted the Fuji TL-FX9 teleconversion lense via a 58-55mmadapter ring,to their 9500 (don't know if vignetting is an issue).

The issue is not one of whether it is possible to attach an add-onlense or not (it is possible to fita number of available conversion lenses to the 9000/9500 as Proton hasdemonstrated) but rather, whether it is advisable to do so in the face of FUJI USA's advice not to. (Theadage "You can, but you may not"appears appropriate here)

It seems we the consumer, have differing views on why Fuji USA have takenthis stance- I personally believe it'sa design consideration whereas others believe it's because Fujidon't have an appropriate/58mmconversion lense to market at this time(albeit that their Telephoto & Wide-angleconversion lenseshave been available for a whilealthough notin a 58mm thread -bear in mind that Fuji do not produce a 58-55mm adapter either).

FujiUSAare taking the whole issue up with Japan and hopefully we should have a definitive answer shortly.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:19 AM   #525

I think that if the convertersare supported enough so that the weight does not pull muchon the thread or original lens, it should be no problem to use them.

Ofcourse the converter should be disconnected after use and carried around seperately. (as stated in the manual which I got with the teleconverter).

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:56 AM   #526

Fuji'smost recent response as promised;
Quote:
We confirmedwith FujifilmJapan that Fujifilm has no association with the creation of these lenses by Raynox and do not recommend using these lenses. Although they may be compatible, we are advising consumers to use these lenses at their own risk. We will continue to only recommend 58mm filters which are commercially available. It may be possible that adding these lenses may damage the S9000 lens due to the added weight to the front of the lens. However, we have had no reported service problems at this time to confirm this. This camera was not designed for attaching additional lenses to it. Fujifilm worked hard in developing such a superb lens assembly that there would be no need for using wide angle or telephoto lenses.
At this point I think everyone can draw their own conclusions and follow their own instincts. I have suggested toFuji that it might have been a good idea to include this qualification in the Owner's Manual!
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:38 AM   #527

well, I'm not urging anyone else to buy this or any other converter. :-)
But for the curious, I tried it out today on the same streetlight (from my office at work) and together with the other pix, here are the results:

all pix approx 640x480

description:
photo 1 : 300mm , enlarged from a 320x240 crop (thus digital zoom via PC)
photo 2: 600mm through 2x digital zoom "in camera setting", 100% crop
photo 3: 660mm (300mm plus 2.2x teleconverter) , 100% crop, tiny little sharpening
photo 4: 1320mm (300mm plus converter plus 2x digital zoom setting), decreased to 640x480) , tiny little sharpening
photo 5: 1320mm , just like photo 4, but iso200 instead of iso80 (no sharpening)

mind: this are little pieces of a large 9mp image, to show the details (or lack of detail) in a zoomed photo. On 10x15cm, 13x18cm or 20x30cm you will see much less of any inperfection in the pictures (IF you print the whole photo ofcourse, not just a part of it:-)).

I'll see if I can put online a series of pix later on, taken at: 28mm, 300mm, 660mm and 1320mm , decreased instead of cropped, so you can see the effect of zooming in.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:07 PM   #528

These, plus the moon shots are helping lean me more heavily towards the 9000. It's not that I need the teleconverter, but the fact that I can foresee "some" shots with it that I can get no other way...

And by buying a camera for less money (especially when counting a few lens) I can put more into better printer and lighting.
dragondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:00 PM   #529

Dabs in the UK selling the S9500 for 400.00 including Vat. Ordered, waiting for delivery.

Check it out on the web.

pr126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 5:35 AM   #530

Hiya

Well, Jessops have reduced the Dynax 5d kitto within my budget, so it looks like I will probably be getting that, as I have always been a fan of Minolta. I still regard the S9500 as a really good camera, ideally I would get both.

Bestest wishes

Crystin
CrystinJoni is offline   Reply With Quote