Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:37 PM   #51

Hello Marsha7 and All,

I would be the last one to knock a Lieca lens.

My only problem with the Lz30 is the narrowness of its wide end.

As a people photographer I need 28mm (35mm equv.) to phptpgraph someone in a typical room.

I also saw alot of noise in samples so far for the Panosonic.

Regards, Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:55 AM   #52

Good find nick, now if we could only get that same info from them in english
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 8:55 AM   #53

I was at a concert last night.

We stumbled upon it, didn't know a concert was to be held.

The day was so hot I just had my F-828 with me, without my external flash.

I took some shots of the various performers, and while shooting I kept thinking how different my shooting would be with the S9000, regarding ISO, noise, freezing action, required post processing,etc.

I can't wait for the S9000.

Regards, Nicholas
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:56 PM   #54

Maybe one of the reviewers will perform a side-by-side, like Steve or Ken Rockwell (like his 20D vs D70 comparo review)...it will still be up to us to decide, but, like I say, the reviewers will find out flaws that may take us months to find, and by then we have already "wasted" our money...that is why I like to read reviews...

Image clarity may be in the eyes of the beholder, but things like AF, shutter lag, plastic doors that do not stay closed, little things that can make a good camera a bad investment (expense?) are often found by reviewers that we may not learn until it is too late...

While many of the experienced posters always say, rightfully, that the camera must feel good to me, cheap plastic battery doors that will not stay closed will ruin the experience, no matter how good the camera feels to me...that is why I eagerly read reviews...
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:31 PM   #55

Well when dpreview does their reviews they alway add cameras in the mix that are similar in features so that shouldn't be a problem.
djgiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:37 AM   #56

Hello All,

Here are pics from Saturday night's concert with my F-828 and only the internal flash ( we discovered the concert by chance and I did not have my shooting gear except my monopod; it was very hot ).

These images push the F-828 to its limits. But I believe that I was able to capture the moments.

While shooting these images I repeatedly thought about how the S9000 will make it possible to obtain better images, more quiclky, with less noise, etc.,etc.,etc....

http://nickphoto123.smugmug.com/gallery/732622

Regards, Nicholas

Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:40 PM   #57

Nicholas

Nice shots, I see what you mean about noise in the panorama of the drummers. I looked at the Sony F-828 before I bought my S7000, I made my decision based on a British camera magazine's statement that the Fuji beat all the 8MP cameras for noise at 400 ISO, and the 3MP 800 ISO is quite usable in some applications (small prints).

I too am waiting for the S9000, I don't want to go back to an SLR, I am tired of carrying around all of the equipment. I would recommend a DSLR to many photographers, but for me the freedom of an all-in-one zoom model is a big plus.

Ira

EDIT: Btw the Panasonic FZ30 looks good but does not offer a wide enough angle of view (35mm), it requires a proprietary battery, and, for me, it uses the wrong memory card (I have lots of CF cards). The Panasonic may be the best model forwildlife photography with its longer lens and image stabilization.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:18 PM   #58

I'm on the "wait and see" list too. The camera looks like it will be hard to beat by any of the Big Name makers. What disturbs me the most is this line:

[/quote]"While we cannot say that noise will be completely eliminated, especially at the highest ISO settings, the apparent amount will be far less than what shooters have come to expect at this level of resolution."[/quote]

Notice that it says "highest ISO settings" and "settings " being plural leads me to believe that noise will continue to be a way of life above ISO 200. I'm hoping the new firmware will allow low-noise sharpness at least to 400. A HUGE bonus would be low-noise to 800! 1600 is just a dream.

We'll see.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:36 PM   #59

It appears, from the early specs, that the S9000 is not shipping with the Hyper Utility Software package (included with S2, S3 and S20) but instead gets the pathetically underfeatured RAW Converter LE. The biggest problem I have with that is that the better package is at least available for sale in Japan and possibly Europe but I cannot find a source in North America.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a legal copy of this package, and some idea of the price (hopefully it is not too pricey).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:25 AM   #60

Hi,

I love my s5000, and have taken nealy 10,000 photo's with it in the year that i've had it.

I have been looking at the 7000 for a while... as a second digital camera.

The big selling point of the s9000 for me is the manual focusing ring and the manual zoom ring... something with i really miss using with my 5000.

Best Wishes

Rob
bobz is offline   Reply With Quote