Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 19, 2005, 1:55 PM   #591

In search of Syd , I made my moon pix on a tripod, I used autofocus (half pressed shutterbutton) and it was complete dark when I took them.
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:02 PM   #592

here 1 of the pix I took on 11th November. As you can see its hard to get all people good on the photo, in the front very bright, in the back too dark.
If they would have been standing next to eachother it would have been no problem
Attached Images

Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:04 PM   #593

here another one, taken in the shoppingstreet.
I used manual setting, the external flash has a guidenumber of 32.
Attached Images

Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:04 PM   #594

This was taken at evening. Settings: ISO 400, f8 1/200 s 300 mm. Levels adjusted in software. Tripod, cable release. I find manual focusing almost impossible. LCD seems to be useless in these conditions. For now, as good as it gets. Will experiment more.

pr126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:14 PM   #595

here 1 of the pix I took on 11th November. As you can see its hard to get all people good on the photo, in the front very bright, in the back too dark.
If they would have been standing next to eachother it would have been no problem

You shot this picture at iso 200 did you try it at ISO400 ? so the people in the back would be more visible. The second pictures looks very good. I got very good results shooting in RAW at high iso's using the adobe plugin and noisefilter. The picture of the fish is a ISO800 RAW picture converted in PS and use the plugin noisefilter.
Attached Images

dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 2:43 PM   #596

Proton,

What ISO setting did you use?
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 3:24 PM   #597

Since getting my S9500 on 9th November I've increasingly had the worry that it has a focusing/sensor problem. I ran it through a series of tests. Set on a tripod I tried practically every setting. Focusing and sharpness were lousy, preformingg badly in low light especially. Flash images were much better but still the focusing is not as it should be.

I then tested it against my year old S5500. The S5500 produced far better shots and preformed much better in all regards.

I telephoned Fuji technical support. They said (and I did ask if I could quote them), that "we are not aware of any problems or issues with the S9500". They suggested I emailed them a few shots and that they would look at them and advise.

After reading the postings on here, I smelled a rat! I wonder whether they are keeping things quiet with the run up the Christmas.

So for now I haven't gone down the Fuji tech support line. I rang my retailer who told me that he was cerainly aware of focusing/sensor issues with the camera. He explained that Sony who makes the sensors made a bit of a cock up on one run. He did also go on to say that it was a shame as Fuji were his fav' brand of camera. I personally don't know how true the Sony sensor thing is or not, but at least for me my retailer is happy to exchange it.

But as they have been selling like hot cakes here, the shop was right out of them. They have ordered one in for me from another branch, but sadly, I will have to wait until Tuesday. Well at least they are going to exchange it and I got a far more sympathetic response than I did from Fuji.

So for the moment I'm back to using my S5500. This makes me realise more what a neat little camera this is.

I hope the new camera preforms better and reinstills my faith.

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:23 PM   #598

Syd, those focus problems were known right from the beginning! If you had checked this forum and the one at dpreview.com, you would have known about it much earlier... even before buying the camera!

About my flash pics: I used several iso settings, but with a band with people behind it walking through a street, there is not much time to fast change the setting from 1 iso number to another. Also the first photo was taken at the start, so it was 1 of the first pix of the event. I made about 120 pix in all kind of settings. But there is no way of getting the whole group of people good exposed. If I use a higher iso number, and long exposure time, the back of the group gets exposed OK, but the people at the front get overexposed!
It's a totally different situation from making indoor flash pictures. The light of the flash is outdoors not bounced by any walls, so people which are 1 to 8 meters away get exposed ok, but 10 meters and beyond....
And they are moving, so exposure times below 1/50 sec. are out of the question!
I have a strong flash device. I can easily make pix of an object 15 meters away from me. But if the object is moving and streches from 1 meter to 25 meters away.... that's a whole different game!
Anyway, the pix got approved and will be in the newspaper coming week

Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:54 PM   #599

Wish I had checked the two forums out first. Truth is I didn't come accross them until I got the camera.

Having now read the posts and seen the pics I still have hope. Roll on Tuesday!

Without hope you cannot start the day.

:roll:
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2005, 2:07 AM   #600

Truth is ISOS, you shouldn't have toresort to a lot of detective work toascertain whetherthere might be a batch of9000/9500's out there that are faulty or not, before you buy one.

That is the role of theresponsible manufacturerwho is keento protecthis good name,hisintegrity and most importantly,his customer.

Sooner or later "truth will out", if there is indeed a problem that has not been disclosed.The cost of 'fudging'inevitably turns out to be greater thanthe cost of recall.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote