Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:48 AM   #631

Get yourself a couple of sets of 2500 mah NiMh rechargeable batteries. I have only just recently received my 9000, and have only taken about 100 pictures besides learning all of the features of the camera. But I am still on my first set of rechargeable batteries. They really are the only way to go with this camera. The alkaline batteries simply don't hold a large enough reserve to be efficient in a camera like this. Two sets of batteries will probably work for every day use, but you might want a couple of more sets if you go on a vacation. When we went to Alaska last summer we were all taking so many pictures that at one point we only had one set of batteries charged. But we found out that the charger had been switched to the wrong position. Anyway, rechargeable batteries and a good rapid charger will serve you well.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:28 PM   #632
Baz

Edster77, it is likely that the power adaptor you are using with 500ma output does not provide sufficient current to operate the camera in the record mode.

Digi cameras are very hungry for current, as outlined by jphess in regard to alkaline v NiMH batteries.

I suspect most digi camera power adaptors have current output of 1500ma or better.

The specs of a Fuji adaptor I have here is: Output 5v DC @ 1500ma.

Cheers, Baz.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:27 PM   #633

Thanks jphess and Baz for your replies. I think I'll get more rechargeables.
I'll still not satisfied with my camera. Mainly the focus is not sharp.
I know this has been brought up a number of times before.
I've taken comparison shots with my Olympus c750 and the S9500.
The Olympus shots seem sharper. I've used Auto settings on both cameras.
Maybe there should be a thread on 'Preferred Settings for S9000'
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:05 PM   #634

Just to add to the comments made regarding batteries. I have at the moment just the one set of rechargeable and I have recharged them two or three timesand I have taken in the vicinity of 750 pics. The first time I went to discharged the batteries because the warning light came on and I had some pics I needed to take the next day, it took to ever for the batteries to discharge.

Rechargeables are a must with any digital camera IMO, regardless what some non-rechargeable battery manufacturers say.
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:07 PM   #635

Edster77,

Have you checked the setup menu to see what your Auto Focus mode is set to? My first set of pictures were very disappointing. But then I discovered that the Auto Focus mode was set to "Spot" rather than "Multi-area". When I changed it to Multi-area then I was able to get much better pictures. I guess my style of shooting for my outdoor shots in is more suited to the Multi-area focus mode. Anyway, it is something you might consider checking.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:16 PM   #636

The World has Santa Claus with Elfs, the Dutch have "Sinterklaas" with "Black Peters" :-) (nothing racial!!!).

The Black Peters throw sweets and act funny and help "Sinterklaas" to give good children presents. Bad children go back with them to Spain in a large sack (ofcourse all children are good :-))
"Sinterklaas" rides a white horse and they come to Holland on a steamboat, from Spain. (whoever made up that story ?!?!? :lol
Last saturday there was a childrenbreakfast in our local neigbourhood shoppingcentre and the black peters entertained the children with songs and helping with the breakfast, not always in a good way ofcourse :-)
Most photo's in the tent were made with the internal flash of the s9500, but I also made some pix without flash at iso800 (see last pic).
The white sack with 1 black peter holds contains sweets for children.

iso800 photo

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:04 PM   #637

Nice photos Proton.

While we're in the Christmas mood, the street market from Frankfurt in Germany is over in the UK in Birmingham at the moment and this is a shot from one of the stalls. Very colourful!
Attached Images

malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:45 PM   #638

I've seen some nice pics on here taken with the S9500/S9000 which reassures me somewhat about the camera. I haven't had much opportunities to really put it to the test but so far I'm pleased with my replacement. I did manage to take a couple of shots just before sunset here last Sunday which was around 3.45 pm. Here's one . . .
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:51 PM   #639

And here's another . . .
Attached Images

In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:41 PM   #640

OK, this is nothing spectacular. But I sort of like this picture that I took with my S9000.

Incidentally, if any of you happen to notice the little "spot" in the sky, that was a very sloppy cover up of a lens flare spot. I should have left it alone, but I didn't.
Attached Images