Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:11 PM   #651

antoo wrote:
Quote:
I need some help with obtaining an s9000/s9500 raw image of a gretagmacbeth colour checker. Can anyone in this forum help me please.

Please see the full details of my request here.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

hope someone can help me
antoo
I am posting this info here for other linux users who may go mad like I did trying to access raw images from the s9000/s9500. Problem solved, I finally found a pro photographer who helped me out with the needed raw photo of the colorchecker.

This means that linux users are now able to access raw mode in this camera with excellent results using Dave Coffins Dcraw. Udi Fuchs has adapted Dcraw and made an excellent plugin for the Gimp which allows you to set icc profiles and adjust colour balance, gamma, saturation and edit curves before importing the raw image.

Using UFraw I set the gamma to 0.45 and linearity to 0.05, flex (towards top left) the base curve ever so slightly at the mid point, and set the saturation to 1.05, choose camera white balance and tick the "use color matrix" box.

Shooting raw is different to shooting jpegs because, depending on the camera settings when shooting jpegs, with the s9-00 (and most digital cameras) reasonably strong sharpening and bilateral (or similar) despeckling algorithms seem to be applied so expect to have to do those things manually when editing raw images with the Gimp. There is an excellent Bilateral Filter plugin available for the Gimp, use unsharp mask for sharpening.

My normal workflow is download the files into a new directory run "dcraw -w -h dscf0001.raf" to generate a series of half sized photos in .ppm format so that I can decide which to play with in the Gimp. Then I open the chosen file from the gimp and the UFRaw plugin kicks in automatically (with an image preview and ability to change settings before importing etc).

All in all this process has three benefits
1. LINUX - i.e. it is 100% free - no expensive adobe photoshop raw for us!
2. The greater control over the bilateral filtering (or not as the case may be) and sharpening means better quality photos
3. The workflow is reasonably quick (although bilateral filtering can be slow depending on your computer).

hope this helps someone
anthony

This photo was low light in the shop, I took it from the street, and followed my above editing procedure.
Attached Images

antoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 2:29 AM   #652

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
It looks like I started one of the biggest posts ever!

And it looks like it's getting bigger.
Maybe things will slow down when Fuji releases the S10000.:G
Edster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:31 AM   #653

Your sure did Goofas. Nice one! Did you ever get the S9500/9000 or have I missed something?
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 4:56 AM   #654

Antoo,

I don't use a Mac and the only Macbeth I know is Shakespear's so couldn't help with your earlier post. I think it's great that you've now got things sorted and that you've shared all this with others.

Nice candid too!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:10 AM   #655

Since my first S9000 post I bought an A200, Digital Rebel (300D), bought the A200 back, and now have a P850. I have no "real use" for over 5 mp images and have to have 12x zoom. Once you have 400+ range you can never go back. The S9000 looks like a great camera but it does not "fit" me.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:39 PM   #656

Hey Goofas, I think this is a great thread but have this sneaky feeling that Stevedaks return survey thread just might just overtake it soon.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:10 AM   #657

I read somewhere on the internet that shooting in iso1600 goes much better when using RAW mode. samples were included , so I tried it out myself and indeed it is much better! More detail, less noise! You need to adjust the photo's yourself, so it's best to only adjust pictures that really need it (like pix you want to print on paper).

What you need at least to get a good result is: shaperning, denoise and set the right white balance. I used the s7k raw editor. works fine for s9500 pix!

Remember that RAw images are 18mb in size, so you need a 1Gb memorycard at least (holds 52 raw pix) and space on your harddrive!

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:40 PM   #658

proton wrote:
Quote:
I r ead somewhere on the internet that shooting in iso1600 goes much better when using RAW mode. samples were included , so I tried it out myself and indeed it is much better! More detail, less noise! You need to adjust the photo's yourself, so it's best to only adjust pictures that really need it (like pix you want to print on paper).

What you need at least to get a good result is: shaperning, denoise and set the right white balance. I used the s7k raw editor. works fine for s9500 pix!

Remember that RAw images are 18mb in size, so you need a 1Gb memorycard at least (holds 52 raw pix) and space on your harddrive!

I don't know if you are using photshop but you should try the raw plugin from adobe much easier than s7k But I agree with you for high ISO's you should use RAW :-)
Just check this thread, where I did some comparison
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...530&page=1
dijkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:55 PM   #659

these shots were taken this evening, anti-blurr was used, all iso800 and handshot.
subject: a christmas taste-session in a local supermarket. no flash was used.

i like this camera a lot! :-)

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:49 AM   #660

Everyone looks at the world differently,from different perspectives and whatever catches their attention. So I thought I would share these two pics I took recently.
Attached Images

shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote