Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:48 AM   #681

Hey, hang on.... correct me if I am wrong but.... is the Prince...ummm.. more of a Princess!:?
:O
Not that there is anything wrong with that! :-)
shadowlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 7:36 AM   #682

Yes! That Prince had me questioning myself I can tell you. :lol:
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:26 PM   #683

Did you not try Natural light mode? It's also a good thing to set up a manual white balance.

I have edited you pic for you. Hope you don't mind.

Sel ......
Attached Images

SelNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:16 AM   #684

Hi Sel,

Thanks for the edit. Much smoother than my attempt. I am pretty new to this noise reduction lark. I do find it worrying though that us 9500/9000 users are having to rely so heavily on noise reduction software. I have never needed to use such software before with my S5500.

I have personally found that the natural light (N) mode creates much more noise and abberations than any other mode.

I am currently on my third 9500 and have yet to decide (in the next two weeks) whether to keep it or exchange it for the Nikon D50 or D70s.

In some intances I have found that the camera can produce some good images but on the whole feel a little let down. Perhaps this is just that I haven't yet learnt all the fixes, cheats and work arounds yet.

Seems like you and Nick are producing some nice pics and it seems like you are both becoming the 9500/9000 gurus here. It really does concern me though about the amount of post processing/noise reduction needed. What's your method/s?

Also, my 5500 produces far better images at nearly 300 mm, although it hasn't the facility for extending to 600 mm with the digital zoom.

I really don't want to go the DSLR route just yet and really want this camera to work, but I am yet to be convinced.

Shame there is no action mode too. Any tips/cheats on how to replicate this without using such a large appeture setting?

Thanks for the reply and edit.

Regards

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:56 AM   #685

Syd,

Maybe its my monitor, but it still looks lousy. Be interesting to see what it would print like asfrom what I've read on these forums, all the endless PP that seems to go on with the 9500 islargely onlyfor the benefitof screen presentation.

Must say the 5500 produces great images under similar conditions - I've used it a lot at stage productions & musicalswith very little PP required, if at all.

Think I'm going the D50 route. Used one the other day and it was great and very user friendly. The straight out the camera results were stunning- really don't think I can be bothered with all the tweeking thatapparently goeswith the 9500.I am sure many people really get a kick out of it but I want to concentrate now on learning how to take a good photograph with minimal PP.

My 5500 will bea great back-up / family camera.

SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 5:13 PM   #686

set the iso to the minimum setting possible, then,

NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN

if you need a tripod - USE ONE

if you need a 'faster' lens - BUY ONE (dslr, that is)

THIS IS A P&S CAMERA WITH A TINY SENSOR

do you wish to take pictures or spend time PPing ?

-- more pixels (for the sake of pixels) on the same sensor is N/F/G ! --

s7000 - hand held - iso 200 - 'P' mode

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:23 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:16 AM   #687

iso800 , 300mm , handheld but with fence-support, 1/90 sec. shutterspeed.
I have no problem at all with the S9500! PP ? hardly ever need it!

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:19 AM   #688

too stay in de mood of the season :-)
tripod used, 5 secs exposure, iso80

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:34 PM   #689

I find it interesting that we are now trying to do things in photography which were unheard of in film only days. Have any of you ever tried ISO 1600 film? Grain like golf balls, but in the 4X6 prints most of us put in our photo albums you hardly noticed it. I expected grain in my ISO400 films, and it added somewhat to the charm of the images.With film I never liked the results of any film faster than 400, why should I expect so much more from a digital camera? I now own a DSLR but images at ISO 1600 are still noisy, the noise is just a little less intrusive than the noise produced by smaller sensors. I think that 800 is a good practical limit with 1600 available when there is no other way to get a picture, and as Bernabeu points out, nothing beats low ISO and a tripod (as long as nothing is moving).

I like the images here but a little grain (and a little less noise processing) actually makes for a nicer print.

Ira

BTW has this thread broken the recors for length on this forum?
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:33 AM   #690

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
do you wish to take pictures or spend time PPing ?

-- more pixels (for the sake of pixels) on the same sensor is N/F/G ! --
I'm with you on that bernabau - personally I want to spend more time taking pictures and learning the art of photography with the camera not the computer. If I wanted to become a digitalmake-up artist I would have followed a different path.
SteveDak is offline   Reply With Quote