Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:40 PM   #761

I would never buy a Fuji of any description. They refuse to admit that the A607 has the same kind of CCD failure as the ones listed in the infamous CCD service advisory. Fuji does not stand behind their products.
Attached Images

FujiNotGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:34 AM   #762

Keep trying.

Tom
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:43 AM   #763

This is an s9000 forum. Since the 9000 has a different sensor and doesn't have this problem why are you posting here? Are you just trying to stir up trouble? The A607 is also a very old camera produced before the sensors in the recall notice were manufactured so obviously it doesn't qualify. You do not have a ligitimate complaint.

Tom
tbcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:26 PM   #764

People have a right to know how they will be treated by a company after they purchase a product. I will continue posting to every Fuji forum I can find. Sorry if you're offended by useful information....
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:04 PM   #765

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with Fuji, but I have had quite the opposite from them. The first S9000 I bought had a focus problem. I sent it to them, and they immediately sent me a new camera. The whole process took less than 10 days. No hassles, no questions. Any time I call them with a question, they are very polite and helpful. I've had nothing but great service from them. Perhaps you caught someone who was having a very bad day, and un-professionally took it out on you.
MamawB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:26 AM   #766

My take on this is that they simply made a corporate decision that people who bought A607s are not worth taking care of like they did with the more expensive models which have exactly the same problem. Fuji seem to be of the opinion that some models of digital camera are simply disposable consumer electronics. My objection is a matter of principle. Fuji's irresponsible attitude must be corrected. The only reason I bought a digital camera was to reduce the environmental impact of my family's photography. I now find out that the A607 was designed to fail after about two years service, creating more unnecessary landfill, while also creating another opportunity for them to upsell the consumer. Fuji should be ashamed. I bought this literal piece of trash in good faith, and now find out that I was ripped off, and worse, the world was ripped off by a greedy corporation. There are far too many "designed for the trashheap" pieces of consumer electronics in the world. Fuji has just added to the pile, and all so they could squeeze an extra dollar out of the cost by using plastic casings on the CCDs instead of ceramic. Shameful.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:11 AM   #767

I'm afraid you will find Fuji is not alone. When I bought my first digital camera back in 2000 they were quite expensive. I paid around $800 for my Kodak DC290. A couple of years ago I bought two more of them on eBay for less than $100 each for my mom and mother-in-law because they are both older with arthritis in their hands and liked the form-factor of the camera better than anything else available. My daughter was using my original camera. Can you guess what happened? Last year, within one month, all three of them crashed with the same software issue. Of course, Kodak doesn't support the camera any longer. Believe me, I feel your pain. I have three cameras that the users loved, but can't be used any longer simply because of software. My point is... I think you will find this in all of the big manufacturers to some degree.

Digital does still vastly reduce landfill waste compared to film. In the two years you have had your camera, how many rolls of film do your digital photos equal? There is less paper wasted due to bad photos developed that didn't turn out the way you wanted. How many of your photos have you actually wanted to print out in the last two years? How many chemicals have you personally saved the environment from by NOT having film developed?

I know you are angry with Fuji, and I can understand your point. I sincerely hope you won't let it turn you away from digital photography.

If you need a place to print our really beautiful, hard-bound, photo albums of your favorite pictures, there is a great website called MyPublisher.com. They are having a sale through Nov. 5th so this is a good time to check it out.

Prints really great books for my Fuji S9000 photos!!!!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:30 AM   #768

You seem to feel that Fuji is the only culprit here. I don't think that is quite the case. Fuji does not manufacture every part that goes into their cameras. They buy from other sources. And they have to rely on what they are told. As an example, doctors have to rely on the information pharmaceutical reps gives them about new medications. If it turns out new medication has some adverse side effects that the manufacturer didn't discover, is that the doctor's fault?

The problem is a global/universal one. You purchase a camera that fits your budget. Based on the information available to you, you make your decision. Based on information Fuji had at the time, they bought the best parts they could to assemble a new camera. Based on information the parts manufacturers had, they assembled the parts to meet the specifications.

I'm not defending Fuji. I had a problem with my S9000; the USB port fell inside the camera. Fuji's response was that this was not a "common" problem with this particular model, so they would not fix it under the terms of the warranty. I don't think that was fair, either. And I don't know if I will ever buy another Fuji camera. I have the camera back, it works perfectly, and the images are very good. But what brand of camera should I buy? I have read war stories about warranty issues with just about every company. It's all about making a profit, and repairing problems takes away from the profit. So the perfect solution is, if you don't want to have problems with your camera, don't buy one at all.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:38 AM   #769

Your point brings to mind the recent fiasco with Dell and the Sony batteries in the laptops...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:59 AM   #770

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...age=tech_specs
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/ca...age=tech_specs

I'd appreciate someone having a look at the two links above and verifying that they match the image that I uploaded with this reply. These are old pages which they have removed links to, but the pages are still on the Fuji UK web server.

The problem is this - Fuji has publicly admitted there is a problem with the CCD in the F410, and replaces them when they fail, free of charge. The A607 uses the identical CCD, but they have decided not to replace them, even when they fail in an identical manner.

My prediction is that once I inform Fuji that their UK website confirms the identical nature of these defective CCDs, they will take those pages down immediately, and then deny that they existed. There will probably also be some rolling heads in the UK for leaving the information in a location which could be found. If they continue to deny that the A607 should have been recalled, and deny the validity of the images, then at least I will be able to point to this forum as proof of their cover-up.

C'mon Fuji, admit your error recall the A607 now before the glare of media attention forces you to...
Attached Images