Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:58 AM   #71

jphess wrote:
Quote:
I keep getting an error when I click on the link that you provided.
Were you logged in?
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:00 PM   #72

jphess wrote:
Quote:
The Panasonic camera does not have the option to shoot in RAW format.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...fications.htmlsays FZ30 can handle RAW / TIFF / Fine / Standard but apparently it has no RAW image manipulation software included

Fuji S9000 is shipped with Raw File Converter LE
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:10 PM   #73

Oops. My mistake. I only looked at the Recording Format in the specification. I didn't read in the Image Quality section.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:31 PM   #74

The FZ30 only has ISO up to 400. As for noise it has a physically smaller sensor (only slightly, 1/1.8 for the Panasonic and 1/1.6 for the Fuji) which probably results in the same pixel density, but without the Fuji's high ISO image processing. (Don't want to start another debate over bayer matrix vs. super CCD.)

I see these two cameras as targeted at two different groups with the Panasonic favouring the long lens wildlife photography types while the Fuji is more landscape and portrait oriented. As for low light, one has image stabilization, the other has an ISO peak two stops higher ( and we have yet to see how the FZ30 performs at ISO 400.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:32 PM   #75

Thanks very much Monza. Did not realize this vast difference of ISO sensitivity between the 2.

Image stabilization should therefore not be taken as a plus for FZ30 without relating that to higher ISO sensitivity for S9000.

For very low-light and/or slow scenes, I guess that image stabilization does not replace a good steady tripod.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 3:05 PM   #76

looking at the specs of other camera's , I still keep coming back to the S9000.
Like for instance batteries: I don't like camera's with accu's, AA batteries can be bought anywhere for years to come. But will an specific accu be availabe 5 years from now?
And AA's are wide available and can be replaced with alkaline's if needed.
Sometime's other camera's have better things, like IS, or more zoom. But then they lack in sensitivity while the S9000 goes up to iso1600. Also it's a fast camera which for me is a very big plus point.
Ensofort.
Sofar, the S9000 keeps "winning" on overall specs. from other cams.
I hope they'll set a release date soon!

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:13 PM   #77

This whole discussion seems to have turned into a love fest for a camera that isn't even unavailable yet. Who knows? The performance might not be as spectacular as Fuji is advertising. And don't forget, everything you are reading so far is from Fuji. All you are going to hear is how great the camera is. Well, guess what. There are a lot of other great cameras available as well. Is the Fuji 9000 going to suddenly be the greatest camera that has been produced so far? I doubt it. Don't get me wrong. The 9000 is on my list too. But are any of you dreamers still having fun taking pictures with what you already have? I love my Fuji 5100. Yes, I know it is nothing compared to the 9000. But I'm still taking excellent pictures with what I already have. It seems that life as a photographer has come to an end for some who have become consumed by the greatness of a camera that nobody has yet. I'm saying all this with a big grin on my face. But, come on, enjoy what you have in the meantime. And no matter how great the 9000 might be, I seriously doubt that anyone will ever say that it takes pictures that are twice as good as the 5100 takes even though it costs about twice as much. Better pictures? Probably. But just a short time ago some of you guys who are drooling now were bragging about how great you thought your 5100 was. A lot of what makes a good picture is in your head, not in your hand. Really, I am just having fun laughing at all you dreamers. :lol:
Old Aug 18, 2005, 4:48 PM   #78

jphess

I beg to differ. We have two Fuji cameras right now, my wife has a 2MP 2800Z, 6 times zoom and absolutely incredible image quality for 2 MP. This camera got great reviews, except for its low light focusing performance (or lack of same). I have an S7000, this camera gets pretty low marks for image noise and overall quality from many reviewers, however the quality of prints made from these images are first rate.

I expect the S9000 will have many flaws, but it has a couple of features that are totally independent of image quality, the manual zoom (and lens that does not extend) and the AA batteries. I will put up with some flaws, as long as they are not devastating to image quality, in order to get the features I want. These features are related to camera handling, and that is my biggest problem with the Fuji cameras as they existed before, most had buttons for the zoom and an extending lens (the S7000 has a "fly-by-wire" zoom ring which is an improvement but still not as precise as the real thing), now we get faster startup since there is no longer the time required to rachet out the lens, and the precision of a real zoom ring.

I want a second camera, as a backup for the few weddings and other jobs that I do. I was looking at another S7000, or even an S20 (lower resolution but other perks like greater burst depth and much better software), since they wiould be compatible with my present software, batteries and memory cards. The appearance of the S9000 gives me a real wide angle and the handling advantages I already listed, plus it retains the compatibility I wanted. So I am not a glassy eyed dreamer, I just see a better alternative to my present plan.

I like the images from all of the Fuji cameras I have seen and used, I cannot say that about all camera manufacturers, so I am expecting this camera to offer typical Fuji quality, very good, but not perfect.

Ira

Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:00 PM   #79

Ira,

In reality, I agree with everything you say. I was just having a little fun. But I am not, like at least one other person has already said, going to put my 5100 up for sale. I'm keeping it regardless. Another reality check is that the budget is quite tight right now, so I might have to wait until the 9000 is offered with model closeout rebates before I will be able to afford one. Sour grapes? Not really. But in the meantime, I've got to keep shooting. Have a nice day.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:04 PM   #80

jphess

I have made enough money with my S7000 that it has paid for itself, so now I am putting all of my income from photography into an account to purchase some backdrops and lights. When those are taken care of I will be saving for an S9000, so it may take me a few months at the very least before I can afford one. By then the reviews will be in and I can see if there are any problems which will affect me.

Ira