Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:30 PM   #81

for me this cam would be a massive upgrade from what I have now:
HP735 vs Fuji S9000
3mp -> 9mp
3x zoom -> 10.7 zoom
max iso400 -> max. iso1600
slow cam -> fast cam
jpg -> jpg+raw
zoom button -> zoom ring
automatic -> manual control
F4.9 max -> F11 max
2 sec. exposure max -> 30 sec exposure max
no external flash possible -> hot shoe for external flash
normal TFT screen -> tilting TFT screen
AF in low light not possible -> low light AF assist
no histogram -> histogram
1 type memory -> 3 types of memorycards
320x240 video 19f/s -> 640x480 video 30f/s

I problably forget many other things.
When I compare specs. of the new 8mp cam's coming out next month and this S9000, then the S9000 is my favourite.
Ofcourse reviews will show later on if this really is a camera for me.

proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 9:50 PM   #82

Hello Proton & All,

Proton,

I adjusted your concert image in Photoshop CS, along with Noise Ninja and Focus Magic (my best plug in).

If I had the original file of your image, the results would exceed the adjusted web version of your image.

Did you see the DCResource review of the new Panasonic? A real shame, very uncontrolled noise. It is no longer on my list. I hasten to add, it should be good for daylight wildlife shooters at low ISO.

I made up my mind, I want my S9000 now. (sound like a kid , don't I?).

Regards, Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:48 PM   #83

Wow, just read the DCResource Panasonic review, what a disappointment. My S7000 is often condemned for its noise levels but they are nowhere near this amount, ISO 200 is practically unuseable except for small prints or with noise reduction software, my S7000 starts at ISO 200!!!

Guys, I don't want to sound like I am jumping to conclusions but, considering the hype Fuji has given the high ISO performance of the S9000, it has to be better than this Panasonic. Mega OIS may be a great idea, and the lens may be super sharp but you are still dealing with a camera that is limited to 100 ISO if you don't want to do any post processing, this may actually be worse than the first round of 8MP cameras.

Oh well, I am enjoying this discussion, hopefully we will get some actual reports on the S9000 soon. I really thought that the Panasonic would be better than that.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:56 AM   #84

What about comparing the S9000 to new Kodak P880 and P850?

These 2 cameras combined look nice, not sure when you have to choose only one. Seem nicely built with nice functions, but again, they offer whether wide range or long zoom. Image stabilization on the long zoom model.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ko...0-p850_pr.html
gaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 4:02 AM   #85

In my case, not sure which road to take ... between a dSLR and a powerful bridge with good optical zoom like the Fuji S9000...

I still have a Canon EOS 500N with Canon lenses 28-80 and 75-300mm.

I don't know how much important it should be in my choice. If these lenses are anyway not very well suited to dSLRs, I might as well sell the whole kit and start again with something like the Fuji S9000. Enough said in this thread anyway...

Ira and others, if you could have a look at other thread I created (don't want to hijack this one) on this forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=66165&forum_id=87
Old Aug 19, 2005, 6:15 AM   #86

Gaul, I will take a look at the other thread, but justsome comments on the Kodak 880 (I think the 850 is more of a competitor for the S5200, but with a hot shoe).

The Kodak P880 looks like a very nice camera with a very wide angle lens, but not much zoom range. This limitation, plus it seems it does not allow full resolution beyond ISO 200 (the wording was a little vague) make it a less serious competitor to the Fuji. Kodak has some excellent image quality in cameras such as the DX7590 so I expect this camera would be very good for anyone who uses wide angles alot and shoots in good light (or with a big flash unit).

I think the excitement generated by the S9000 is due to the very strong feature set advertised, if they deliver on this, this will be the top of the heap for the "bridge Cameras" at least until the next introduction. It looks like Canon and Nikon may concentrate on less expensive DSLRs, and Sony is partnering with Konica/Minolta, so this camera may not have any strong competition from the big names for a while.

Just the way it looks to me.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:07 AM   #87

Thanks again Ira.

Also see what seems to be the draft of a review by this reviewer who has the same summary as you:

Fuji have announced a couple of new digicams with 9MP sensors - the highest pixel count sensors yet found outside a fewdSLRs. The cameras use Fuji's 5th Generation Super CCD HR sensors which have both small and large pixels in the array to increase dynamic range. The 4th generation Super CCD HR sensors had good performance with better than average noise performance at high ISO settings, so it will be interesting to see how well these 5th generation sensors perform.

The sensor size is designated as 1/1.6", which corresponds to approximately 8mm wide by 6mm high (4:3 aspect ratio), still significantly smaller than DSLR sensors (typically something like 22mm wide by 15mm high). This, of course, allows the camera to include a lens equivalent to a 28-300mm zoom in full frame 35mm terms yet still keeping the camera reasonably small and light, though the FujiS9000 is certainly not a pocketable camera at 5.0" x 3.7" H x 5.1" D and 23oz.

Priced at around $700, the Fuji Finepix S9000 is a little cheaper than the lowest cost digital SLR body and maybe $300-$400 cheaper than a digital SLR with a similar coverage lens (18-200mm) - and the S9000 lens is significantly faster (f2.8 )than a DSLR lens would be.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/fuji/fuji_s9000.html

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:26 AM   #88

Good pics of the beast on: http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3106

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:41 AM   #89

gaul wrote:
Quote:
Ira and others, if you could have a look at other thread I created (don't want to hijack this one) on this forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=66165&forum_id=87
Ira, thanks again for your very useful knowledge :!:, which I appreciate very much because it's based not only on technical skills but also on experience of photography. I agree with you that pure performance is not everything; day-to-day practicality has to enter the contest too.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:58 AM   #90

In case you're interested and haven't seen them yet, some sample images from china:

http://big5.pconline.com.cn/b5/www.p...690180_19.html

orthe entire review:

http://big5.pconline.com.cn/b5/www.p...08/690180.html

run it through babelfish

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

cheers,

nymano.
nymano is offline   Reply With Quote