Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:26 AM   #1
Smi

Looks mighty impressive, doesnt it? Great spec, great price. Well, heres my first piece of advice: Dont.

The Fujifilm E550 is a great camera - on paper, and initially it performs. But things rapidly go downhill. I've had two, and wont be having another.

The first one went wrong after a week or so, where all the pictures were over-exposed and expressed moire horizontal lines accross them. Not my fault, so I send it back to the retailer for replacement.

The second one went wrong a few days into my holiday, in the form of a spot of dust on the internal lense/CCD or where ever it is. Again, nothing to do with me. To top it all off, the autofocus simply stopped working properly, and most of my photos are now slightly out, which is extreemly disapointing.

I sent it back to the retailer again, for a third and final replacement. They deserve another chance, I thought. Its a great camera, easy to use, stuffed with features. Great. But it doesnt work.

Guess what? Amazon have withdrawn the Fujifilm Finepix E550 on account of having to many complaints about it. These arent isolated incidents, there really is something wrong with this camera, whether thats in the design process or whether fujifilm simply didnt test it properly, or whether manurfacturing and quality control is rubbish, but anyway.

It doesnt work.

My advice to you is this: You'll be hard pressed to find a better spec'ed camera for the money. But dont be tempted into its soft embrace. Chances are, you'll end up releasing it before long.

Very, very disapointed. Its now incredibly hard to find a similiar spec'ed camera for the budget I have.

Sigh.

I should add, these are my experiences. But I've seen so many forums and reviews where they've had the exact same problems with it.
Smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2

look at Nikon 5200
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 12:12 AM   #3

I am starting to agree. I cannot believe I sent it in to get a spot removed from my pictures, and 5 weeks later, it arived in the same shape I sent it in. Not to mention the technical support reps didn't ever seem to care.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 6:31 AM   #4

I almost bought one but something moved me toward the Sony W5. I had that camera for 2 weeks and sold it. Glad to be the owner of a S5100.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:17 AM   #5
Smi

Trouble is, I'm in the market for a relatively cheap camera (in the UK, between £150 to £300, probably) that has loads of advanced features with plenty of scope to stretch myself. See, the problem is, I love taking photographs and getting really arty and trying to take art photographs. that is, art for arts sake. More than just snapshots. BUt more increasingly Im finding that the cheaper cameras simply dont offer me this scope. The E550 DID, but then it stopped working. Twice.
I'd love a DSLR, but cant afford it.

Can anyone suggest a very high-spec'ed digital camera with lots of advanced and manual features that would allow me to achieve this?

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
look at Nikon 5200
Smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 3:28 PM   #6

Goofas wrote:
Quote:
I almost bought one but something moved me toward the Sony W5. I had that camera for 2 weeks and sold it. Glad to be the owner of a S5100.
Why did you sell the W5?
rob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 5:31 PM   #7

Smi wrote:
Quote:
"Guess what? Amazon have withdrawn the Fujifilm Finepix E550 on account of having to many complaints about it."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...066740-8467614
:?
siber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:37 AM   #8

Wasn't aware that Amazon ever pulled it, but it wouldn't have surprised me.

I'm returning my E550 for repairs a second time. They sent me a "new" one the first time I sent it in. We'll have to see if I need a third replacement. If it gets to that, I'm thinking the "lemon law" might apply since I know I'm not an isolated case.

It definitely takes 4-6 weeks (closer to the 6 week mark) so be sure to have a backup camera.

I'm looking at either a Olympus C-5500 (why couldn't it be faster shot-to-shot though, and why only image stabilization in digital video and not stills?) or the Canon A610, which is still just a tad bit too new to know what quirks it might hide.

-Spencer
Spencer Allain is offline   Reply With Quote