Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:20 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
My microdrive works fine, but I've got to get into the habit of leaving stuff on there until its full
Why?

I emptied it just like any flash card and reformat. The only times I can fill the microdrives (with the D7) are in studio shoots, or on wedding days... @ least we should consider ourself lucky that the manufacturers have provided us with the convenience of rechargeable NiMh instead proprietary :lol: :lol: :lol: Otherwise we'll be worrying about running out of batteries as well!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 5:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Why?
When I use SmartMedia I'm quite happy to keep pulling my card in and out to plug in my reader, Its only got 9 or 10 wiping contacts on the card. But these expensive CF format microdrives have got 50 little gold plated pins on them to accidentally damage.

So that's why, I'm leaving it in the cam as much as possible.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:01 AM   #13
NHL

I guess you just have to learn to trust theses devices with use... It's meant to be a convenience and not to be restrictive. (It also take longer to download when full...)

The connectors are designed for high insertion rate usually with multiple contact fingers on opposite side of the camera/reader pins always 'grabbing' the inserting pins. They are usually rated for 10,000+ cycles... The ground pins are also longer making contact first also discharging any charge present.

http://www.compactflash.org/guide/connect.htm

... Also register and download the CF spec V1.4, there's a wealth of info @ this site!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 8:32 PM   #14

Hi folks, first post ...

I bought my 602 last September. I also bought a CF 256mb unit from Crucial (Micron) UK.

Banged the chip in and it worked fine for a while. Occasionally it would hang when reviewing pics on the camera and the battereis would have to be taken out. The same would happen when playing back video (at VGA mode). Other things that would happen would be Write Error when taking photos and then 3 weeks ago the camera reported a card error and wouldnt read/write or even format. I RMA'd the card and Crucial sent out a replacment, The replacement started giving the same error on Sunday so I emailed Fuji tech support and got this reply :

Regarding your correspondence:

Hi,

I have an S602 and bought a Crucial 256mb CompactFlash chip to go with it as a 128mb Smartmedia card would be too small and a Microdrive too expensive at present.

Everything seems to work fine but sometimes I get read/write errors when taking photos or trying to view them on the camera. I need to pop the batteries out and back in again to get the camera to function.

According to the Fuji website my camera is supported for the chip and I've had the card itself replaced in case it was faulty but the replcament card shows the same problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rick

The following response has been made:

When using the 602 with compact flash cards other than those manufactured by Fuji you can experience read/write errors. This is because our compact flash cards are the quickest cards on the market and thus the camera is built to run with these. When you use slower cards such as your one the card cannot keep up with the camera causing these errors.

Sincerely,

Fujifilm

---

So there we have it LOL. Im now looking for a cheap Microdrive

R.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 3:09 AM   #15

Quote:
other than those manufactured by Fuji you can experience read/write errors.
Actually, the 602 manual says:

'Some CompactFlash cards may not work properly. Please contact the manufacturer for compatibility'

I wouldn't even trust a Fuji card with this cop out, since they only brand, and the card chip manufacturers can change. However has anybody got a written guarantee from Fuji that their CF will work in a 602 as good as Smartmedia?

SM and Microdrives work fine!
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Quote:
other than those manufactured by Fuji you can experience read/write errors.
Actually, the 602 manual says:

'Some CompactFlash cards may not work properly. Please contact the manufacturer for compatibility'

I wouldn't even trust a Fuji card with this cop out, since they only brand, and the card chip manufacturers can change. However has anybody got a written guarantee from Fuji that their CF will work in a 602 as good as Smartmedia?

SM and Microdrives work fine!
See above post for Fujifilm official line on the matter. If you buy their high speed cards then they say you are fine.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 7:46 AM   #17
NHL

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tested 128Mb CF on video with their s602? What strike me as a surprise is that flashes are inherently slow on write regardless of wether it's CF or SM: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ght=microdrive

Could it be that the s602 has 'right' sized the camera's internal buffer to match the max limit of SM? In theory CF should be faster since the data transfer is done @ 16-bit instead of SM's 8-bit, and the CF ATA controller/buffer can only further this speed advantage... Too bad there's no such thing as a 256Mb SM to prove this out!

Anythought? :?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:01 AM   #18

If Fuji are selecting a supplier for their cards to work on a 602 that's a commendable short term fix - but there are no public statements on their site which would confirm this and inspire confidence 'like our cards are 'guaranteed' to give your 602 its full AVI functionality'. Fuji must be in a hole on this one and taking a lot of flack.

If they were confident that CF implementations were stable for their present cam hardware, don't you think the'd be promoting the bigger expensive CF cards in their range?

Anyway, why buy Fuji's CF card max size 128 MB, risk whether it works or not - when you can buy any OEM make SmartMedia cheaper and it's guaranteed to work? The only reason for going CF is bigger sizes and Fuji don't seem to do them.

NHL...
Quote:
Anythought?
To add to you're point, is there anybody who has used 128Mb OEM CF cards in a 602 and had problems?

Microdrives work great!
Old Feb 13, 2003, 8:11 AM   #19
NHL

Quote:
If they were confident that CF implementations were stable for their present cam hardware, don't you think the'd be promoting the bigger expensive CF cards in their range?
It's not in their best interest is it? They are one of the two backers of xD and would rather push this format instead of CF!!!

Sabotage may be? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Feb 13, 2003, 10:30 AM   #20

As Vox stated:

Problem is, and I called and spoke to someone at technical support at Fuji, they don't have any knowledge of which brands work and which ones don't. So, contacting them for compatibility information is basically useless. I'm no lawyer, but I would venture to say Fuji is in a deep legal hole with this because (unless they have since changed it) their website says that compact flash works in their cameras without making any mention of only their or even any particular brand at all. This perceived ability to use CF as well as
SM was one of the reasons why I purchased the 602 and is obviously a planned selling point for them. Yes, I'm disgusted over this, and I'm still waiting to see if I can get the $55 back on a CF I bought which ended up not working in my 602.
aero23 is offline   Reply With Quote