Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:13 AM   #51

I also have the 602 and am using a Professional 24X Lexar 512mb Cf with no problems at all. I can take more than 400secs video (highest res.) with this card or take 192 6m fine pictures. I have ben using this card for about 4 weeks with no error problems at all.
AwBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2003, 11:32 AM   #52

Another good one then? Interesting that camerachallenge reported only QVGA success with the same card at 256Mb. , guess your 512Mb will have larger cluster sizes. Looks like 30X Sandisk is dead cert, 24 X with the right FAT cluster also probably OK.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 1:07 PM   #53

anyone know of a way to make the clustor size on the pro lexar 256 24x cf card without screwing up the card itself?
camerachallenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2003, 2:56 PM   #54

It took a while for you to lock on to that!

I use a reader. Never tried it in the cam. First use Winhex to take an image of a working card, particularly if you have an Oly card and cam - that's your safety lifeline. Whilst doing it, check out what cluster size your card is (probably 32Kb) I think you have to try maxing at 64Kb/cluster or bigger.

Checkout my recent posts under media I posted how to re-format using DOS under Win2K (I Don't use XP, but think you can specify cluster size, but you must use 16 BIT FAT). Note larger cluster sizes can mean more wasted space on the card, but this is only a problem if you are shooting lots of small VGA res. files. Some users report slightly faster saves after doing this. If you take a second image of the reformatted card with new cluster size, you can easily 're-format' and clone other cards of same size, using Winhex in a Win98 machine (no DOS variable cluster support) by writing back the image.

Note: I think re-format in the cam still keeps your new cluster size, 'cos it's only a 'quick' format.

Cheers - VOX
Old May 9, 2003, 1:56 PM   #55

Write speeds vary camera to camera, and there are also many different flash card write speeds. The Ultra cards work fairly well with the 602. The camera tries to write quickly, but many cards can't write the info fast enough, and the buffers fill. That is why the AVI files cut off fairly quickly. For example, my standard Sandisk CF allows me 15 seconds of AVI, and the Ultra allows 22 seconds of AVI. The write speed of the Sandisk standard card is about 800kb/sec, and the Sandisk Ultra is up around 1100 to 1200. The IBM microdrive is up around 1600 to 1700. So, when the next generation Ultra cards come out, they are suppose to be around 2000kb/sec. I have heard that the lowest end Lexar card doesn't work at all in the 602. In general, the #X on the CF cards is suppose to be 150kb times whatever number is on the card. This is just a ballpark estimate, and it will vary from camera to camera due to the write speeds. The compact flash engineers are trying to build faster cards to satisfy the camera gurus who use the high end digital SLRs. I have borrowed different flash cards from friends, and I give them a test. I shoot 3 megapixel JPGs at a rate of about 1 per second to see how fast I fill up the buffer, and have to wait. I also run the AVI. The Sandisk Ultra card allows you to take pictures at about 1.5 seconds without stopping. Interestingly, the IBM microdrives don't work as well after they get a little old...... they slow down. I have heard of this twice now. I hope this info helps. Happy shooting.
Marty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2003, 1:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Interestingly, the IBM microdrives don't work as well after they get a little old...... they slow down. I have heard of this twice now
Is the problem, just that they become fragmented and need reformatting? I could understand speed reduction if this were the case.

Worse but unthinkable, is the drive marking bad sectors and writes are having to skip around them?
Old May 11, 2003, 5:50 PM   #57
NHL

Anecdotal excuse for lots of folks really for not getting the microdive... If anyone understand how flash especially in the CF format and microdrive are alike in their logical block addressing (LBA) with regard to the Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) extensions for HDD access would realize this right away.

Another one is they break easily... right! I'm on to my 3rd years with 3 spinning drives (... and many more flash cards). I think my camera will break first... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2003, 11:14 PM   #58

Throwing in my two cents worth on this issue of CF compatabiliity w/ the S602. I am currently waiting on delivery of my camera from repair after using a 128mb Dain Elec CF II. I had to exchange my 1st S602. I tried to use the CF card & Camera died after 1st insert. When I received the replacement, I was actually able to use the Dain CF card for three months. Never took it out of the camera. When I did take it out and reinsert the card, again the Camera was dead. I would have never tried to use in the replacement camera if I had been aware of this issue. I talked the company that automatically sold me the CF in a package instead of the SM into exchanging it. I'm currently wainting on the arrival ofthe SM card and have a 340mb Microdrive on order. I'm taking no more chances. Fuji told me that an incompatable CF (and they could not tell me which CFs were compatable) could blow a chip which would cause it not to power on.
Animalhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2003, 6:19 AM   #59

AnimalHouse...

Quote:
When I did take it out and reinsert the card, again the Camera was dead
Logic suggests, the action of taking it out and replacing it had something to do with it. When you say the cam didn't work, what happened if you put in SM and selected it? did SM still work in its slot? Did the suspect card still work o.k in a reader (For testing, they are cheaper to replace than a camera!) The card might have failed causing the 602's internal fuse to blow. Have you tried it in a reader - or asked for it to be checked?

My first guess might be a damaged pin, even broken and left behind in the cam. This is why MD users claim it is safer to download pics from the cam rather than reader. However a Full 1Gb card on USB1 will take a while!

You'd like the discussion going on about USB media cards in another thread - only 3 or 4 pins to worry about! VOX
Old May 31, 2003, 12:02 PM   #60

At the time of 'death' of both cameras, the cameras were totally unresponsive to anything: SM card, several sets of batteries, letting is sit for a while. The description Fuji repair assigned to the camera was "no power". I did not test the CF card in a card reader. Didn't have access to one. So you believe the card was defective coming out of the package? Guess it could be,,,, maybe it has nothing to do w/ the brand or type of media. But if the card itself was damaged and caused the 1st camera to die, why did it work at all in the second camera? It worked great for 4 months, until I removed 1 time and then reinserted it. Seems like if a pin was broken in the 1st camera, the 2nd would not have worked at all. :?

Still yet, Ive been w/out my camera too long too many times to take any chances. W/ a 340 microdrive and a 128 SM card, I have plenty of picture taking memory.

When I download directly from my camera via usb port, can I have both the SM and Microdrive in the camera at the same time? :?:
Animalhouse is offline   Reply With Quote