Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 16, 2003, 5:49 PM   #1

Default From Fuji: don't use Compact Flash

Some info for you Fuji people and those looking at getting one:

Here I am again still dealing with this stupid problem. I called the Fuji tech line and was told that Fuji is saying to stay away from CompactFlash and use only MicroDrive because they are having lots of problems. This sucks because some of us I'm sure (like me) liked the *percieved* ability of using the very good cost/memory ratio of the CompactFlash. Oh well. I was told that basically it is hit and miss with the CompactFlash and they couldn't even tell me if it was certain vendors or even if inside one Vendor's line of CompactFlash is hit and miss. He couldn't even tell me if Fuji is planning on addressing this at all with a recall or anything... Just a warning to you all...
aero23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2003, 6:39 PM   #2

The warning is actually in the handbook, but perhaps it needs to be in big words on the box!!

What did they say about their own brand CF in their cams? If they've got a problem to get out of, I'd expect them to do the research we're all doing, and make sure their memory supplier delivers a Fuji CF brand which works in their cams.

Anyway, they are probably too busy working on new xD at the mo.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 6:58 PM   #3

You're right, there is a warning in the handbook, but I bought the CompactFlash before the camera arrived (besides - practically everyone out there who sells the camera sells CompactFlash for it also, and I never read anywhere about this issue before buying anything - I did my research first).

Interesting though, Fuji is not very consistent in their terminology of CompactFlash, especially in the manual (not a very well laid out manual by the way). As far as I've seen so far, CompactFlash is a trademark of Sandisk and is flash memory. Microdrive is an IBM trademark and is an actual disk drive with moving parts. Big difference, but Fuji (on their website, in the manual, and ALL websites I've found that sell the camera) makes it sound like it takes both Microdrive and CompactFlash.

Anyway, the guy on the tech line made it sound like Fuji wanted CompactFlash to work but didn't quite get it and they know there's an issue. Otherwise, he would have just told me that it's not supposed to take CompactFlash and it was only ever supposed to support Microdrive.

Well, there you go.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4

So, aero23..
What was your problem with CompactFlash? I have been using a Lexar 128MB CompactFlash in my S602 for about a month and have no problems with it at all........ Is there a problem with certain CF manufacturers?

The manual also specifies not to delete or modify image files on the CF card using your computer as this will corrupt the CF card. The manual strongly advises that you download the image files to your PC then edit, and then delete the files "in camera"......
BigRed450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 4:05 PM   #5

aero23, rritter doesn't have a problem according to his recent post:

Quote:
Because the camera uses both Compact Flash and Smart Media I bought a 256 PNY CF card and that gives me a capacity of 424 shots at 3m normal quality rating.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:36 AM   #6

I think I just was just unlucky enough to have bought a CompactFlash that doesn't work in my camera (it worked in a Canon I think - finally tried it in another camera). Funny thing is, I remember reading a post where someone mentioned using a SimpleTech CF (like me) in their Fuji.

Vox - thanks for the link to WinHex. When my new computer gets here (no, I can't archive my pictures off the standard tiny 16Mb SmartMedia card yet), I'm going to download that program and give it a try.

BigRed - I have a SimpleTech Type I 128Mb CF and the camera tells me Card Error if the CF is the only card in the camera. If a SM is in and I set the CF to primary it gives me an initialization error. If I try to format the card, it puts up an hourglass for about a second or two and then goes back to Card Error. This very card was then tried in another camera (I think it was a Canon) and it worked just fine.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 6:07 PM   #7

Default From Fuji: don't use Compact Flash

Hmmm when I purchased my s602 3 weeks ago a also purchased a Lexar 12X 256mg CF disk. I thought that perhaps I was doing somthing wrong because it never asked me if I wanted to format the disk.

I just put it in the camera (without any other media) and started shooting pictures .......... no problems at all. I have not tried the movie mode yet.
Tomcorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:33 AM   #8

My feeling about this has always been that CF cards 'work' - just don't expect movies from them! That's no big deal for a great featured stills cam.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:27 AM   #9

Actually Vox, it seems that not all CFs work even with still pictures. If I ever get the chance to try another CF or even a microdrive in my camera then I'll know a little more. When I called Fuji about it they didn't specify still or movie mode, they just said to stay away from CFs and use microdrives instead.

By the way, I flipped my new s602 into movie mode the other day (with the 16Mb SmartMedia, a few pictures on it, and the default high resolution video mode) and captured about 5-7 seconds of great indoor video. Obviously not a camera for shooting movies but certainly seems to perform extremely well for a great "quick film the baby" type of family environment.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 3:20 PM   #10

Yep, I think its the sort of thing you just dip into for a few secs, I started with 128 SM (having infer'd the Fuji warning) but I've got a couple of small CF's that work fine. The format changes on bigger CF's so I admit to not trying V big. cards

My microdrive works fine, but I've got to get into the habit of leaving stuff on there until its full. Been trying to find some card formatting software which allows you control over the type and cluster size. Nothing doing anywhere, so put in a suggestion to those nice PowerQuest people to get PQ Magic to support removable drives. Hoping they'll see the opportunity!