Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 18, 2003, 8:38 PM   #1

Default Some thoughts on the Fuji S602Z

I have owned my S602 about a month now and have taken a little over 250 photos and so far am quite happy with the results. I do a lot of inside sports action photography and have taken photos both with and without the pop up flash. I have played with a number of functions and setting to see what would work best and I have also taken several photos outside with the temps dipping below -10f.
So here is what I have found:

First with the pop up flash the camera is definitly a "red-eye" camera

Second in either 1 megapixal or 3 megapixel I can make a good quality 8X10 print using my Canon S750 printer.

Third using metal-hydride rechargable batteries is a must, I can get well over 150 photos even using the flash.

Fourth and finally, shooting photos at 1600 iso, the final product is a big grainy, BUT try shooting print film at 1600 and is also grainy. I compared photos I took last year (basketball, indoor, no flash) on regular film to the ones I have taken this year (same conditions) and there is no real difference in grain.

In all I am happy with my choice of camera it is doing what I hoped it would and it looks like my darkroom may become a piece of history.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 7:10 AM   #2

I'm pleased you appreciate the 602's flexibilityl, I've always said generally with cams, it's no good having great Mpix, if the cam doesn't deliver a pic, because of low sensitivity. The 602 at least offers options and allows the trade-offs. Would like a f1.8 lens, 28mm wide-angle and more uncompressed options like some of the the Olys though!

I also get consistent redeye, so I need to experiment with an external flash on a bar, perhaps use bounce or a slave. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:12 PM   #3

My Thoughts on the Fujifilm S602

I bought this outstanding camera just two months ago to replace my first digital camera, a Fuji 2600. I have decided to keep the 2600 around for quick point & shoot situations. The flexibility of the 602 gives this advanced amateur photographer a great tool for the cost. Yes it’s not a pro camera but it does offers great flexibility. Could the camera benefit from a lower F stop? Sure! Could a focus assist light be beneficial? In low light situations yes. But for $469.00 dollars (yea I found a deal) this is one great camera.

Because the camera uses both Compact Flash and Smart Media I bought a 256 PNY CF card and that gives me a capacity of 424 shots at 3m normal quality rating. The normal quality setting produces outstanding printed photos (8x10’s) so using the “Fine” setting isn’t necessary. Using the 6 MP setting is just not necessary for outstanding photos. Don’t get hung up on pixel size, this camera really produces great pictures.

The flexibility of the manual settings gave me all the control (and more) that I need in a digital camera. Using the “Program” & “Scene Program” features give outstanding results not to mention the shutter and aperture priority settings. I recently used the B&W scene feature for close up headshots for my sister-in-laws daughters beauty pageant requirements and this feature worked great. I do realize one could shoot in color and print in gray scale to achieve the same output but using the B&W feature of the camera optimizes this photo feature.

The camera uses both auto and manual focus and in low light situations the manual focus feature comes in handy. As I said a focus assist light could help in this situation but using the manual focus feature helps here. One other trick is setting the ISO to 400. Changing camera settings is a breeze with the 602.

Yes one can find cameras with higher spec’s (and price) but if you need a camera that has high capacity storage, great image quality (I do mean great), the flexibility of pro rated cameras, and ease of use you can’t go wrong with the S602.

O yea the “Red Eye” concerns. I use the Red Eye flash reduction feature and this works great. Not sure what the fuss is about.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 3:56 PM   #4

Quote:
O yea the “Red Eye” concerns. I use the Red Eye flash reduction feature and this works great. Not sure what the fuss is about.
I think the criticism is, with on-board auto flash you nearly always get redeye - which I agree with. But many here don't rate internal flash anyway. If you're forced to use redeye flash mode, you're increasing flash re-charge times and reducing batt power.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote