Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1

Blurry dark regions recently started appearing on all images taken with the camera. They show up in photos where there is a light background, i.e. sky. Two are circular and the third is a curved line. They are not on the lens. They appear to be particles on the sensor surface (CCD). They are blurry as opposed to being distinct defects. See attached. What can I do?

Attached Images

jbeckplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2

I have had the same problem with my F700 and also with an older Fuji 6800. This is dust and lint that enters the lens system at the barrel when the barrel telescopes closed. I found a way to clean the system although it is a bit tricky. I use a house vaccuum!I turn on the vac, turn on the camera, and carefully (don't touch the sides) put the whole extended lens into the vac tube. 3-4 seconds is enough to suck out the dirt. Seems dangerous but nothing is harmed and the smudges are gone!

In future, watch that there is no dust on the lens barrel when closing (hard to do)
omnitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the valuable information. I assume you stick the lens barrel into the vacuum hose with the camera completely assembled. It seems strange that your technique would work as the vacuum would have to work its way into the camera and actually pull dusk particles off the surface of the CCD.

Jeff

Old Aug 20, 2005, 9:53 PM   #4

I tried the method suggested by the previous post (omnitron) and much to my surprise it worked ! ...mostly. All but one of the smudges were removed. One smudge remains, however, but for some reason, it doesn't appear as dark. Thank you, Omnitron!

Jeff